Will a 3FE large cap dizzy work with a 2F? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know that a large cap dizzy from say an '87 2F will work in an older 2F (or possibly F) as long as you have the "dented" side panel from the newer 2F's. Will the same setup work if I use a large cap dizzy and coil from a 3FE?

Thanks!

search, it's been done many times. I don't think it can be used on f engine, but i'm 100% it can be used on 2f.

I know that a large cap dizzy from say an '87 2F will work in an older 2F (or possibly F) as long as you have the "dented" side panel from the newer 2F's. Will the same setup work if I use a large cap dizzy and coil from a 3FE?

Thanks!

Yes it will fit but you would need the ECU for the 62 or 80 series to read it at least depending on which model it came out of.

There is the option of maybe a Mega Squirt or as I have on my 2F a Wolf V500 ECU that is stand alone and then you can do this. No rota button or dizzy cap, triple coils and wasted spark.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-seri...=-2f-eti-into-my-fj40-19.html?highlight=dizzy

I am the one doing the megasquirt other than that my setup is the same as Matt's for the ignition system. You will also need the rod cover with the dent in it to fit it.

I'm running an Fj60 distributor and ignition on my 76 2F. It's an excellent upgrade.

I don't believe the 3FE distributor would work, due to the fact it is partially computer controlled.

No. 62 dizzy has no Vac advance. It has 2 reluctor rings one has two positions and one has 24 I believe.

Igniter is controlled by the computer IMO.

So unless you like to have 2 sparks per rotation or 4 for the whole cycle it won't work.

You could hook up a ECU and trick it to time correctly but at that point you are just better off running fuel injection.

No. 62 dizzy has no Vac advance. It has 2 reluctor rings one has two positions and one has 24 I believe.

Igniter is controlled by the computer IMO.

So unless you like to have 2 sparks per rotation or 4 for the whole cycle it won't work.

You could hook up a ECU and trick it to time correctly but at that point you are just better off running fuel injection.

Everything Marshall says is correct except for the the 3rd statement. Without the ECU reading the reluctor rings to determine the degree of the engine in connection with engine load adjusting the coil firing, you would essentially be running a dead distributor that wouldn't adjust anything. You would still get 6 sparks per rotation.

Thanks! Good info I hadn't thought about. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom