Wiendshield Replacement for 2019 LC (1 Viewer)

Wiendshield Replacement for 2019 LC?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Unfortunately I have to replace my windshield on my less that a month old LC. I used a dish sponge trying to remove some water spots and I scratched the entire wiendshiled really bad.

What do you recommend on the replacement? OEM part at $1400 or Aftermarket at $800? I am reading mixed reviews online.
Hi George!

I'm new to the forum and just picked up my 2019 LC last week. On day 2 of ownership, an 18 wheeler threw a rock and cracked the windshield! Do you mind me asking what you ended up doing? I'd prefer to go OEM with all of the electronics under the rearview mirror, but I'm honestly so mad about I can't think straight!

Any help would be appreciated!

Sarah Jane

You will need to get the Toyota Safety Sense (TSS) camera calibrated after the windshield replacement per the service manual step #37:
You can expect to pay 2-3 hours of labor for this calibration

Hi George!

I'm new to the forum and just picked up my 2019 LC last week. On day 2 of ownership, an 18 wheeler threw a rock and cracked the windshield! Do you mind me asking what you ended up doing? I'd prefer to go OEM with all of the electronics under the rearview mirror, but I'm honestly so mad about I can't think straight!

Any help would be appreciated!

Sarah Jane
Congrats on the new LC!! So sorry to hear that. I haven’t replaced mine yet, I am still dealing with It.
Based on all the research that I did, I would go with OEM and dealer install to have peace of mind. The savings over going to non-OEM are not worth the potential future headaches to me. Also, the thickness of the non-OEM is not the same as OEM. It’s also nice to have OEM and will help with resale value.

Was that with or without install? I’m in the area of Magic, and my windshield (Pilkington) just cracked.
I believe it was just the part. They said they use a couple different third parties to install. I asked if one was better than the other, they said no. I'm going to replace ours after the winter is over. Definitely want OEM glass.

Congrats on the new LC!! So sorry to hear that. I haven’t replaced mine yet, I am still dealing with It.
Based on all the research that I did, I would go with OEM and dealer install to have peace of mind. The savings over going to non-OEM are not worth the potential future headaches to me. Also, the thickness of the non-OEM is not the same as OEM. It’s also nice to have OEM and will help with resale value.

I believe the dealerships do not install the windshields. They farm it out to a 3rd party.

I believe the dealerships do not install the windshields. They farm it out to a 3rd party.

That has been what I find when I ask dealers around here as well.

My dealership has a 3rd party install them but then it goes back to the dealer to program the sensors. Travelers insurance only wanted to put after market in mine but the installer pushed back and got them to approve the oem. They did it for my deductible of $100

Our 200 series just picked up a crack in the windshield. Safelite cost is $431, oem is $558. Just for fun I called the stealership and it costs a little over 1000 not including 5 hours of labor. That's no typo- five hours of labor.
I hope Safelite can also reprogram the sensors too!!!

FILE.jpg

Dealer / installer messed up the clips that hold the brack tirm in place. Remove it and order OEM parts or try to glue them down? They tend to pop up at highway speeds.

View attachment 2754126

Dealer / installer messed up the clips that hold the brack tirm in place. Remove it and order OEM parts or try to glue them down? They tend to pop up at highway speeds.

I’d try getting the disposable plastic clips first. If they messed up the attachment rail on the black metal/plastic side trim it is somewhat malleable and can be bent back into shape, then the new clips will hold them down well.

The one extra part that might need addressing is a metal clip that gets epoxied to the body of the vehicle at the top where the side trim levels out and runs along the roof in the channel.. if those are torn up or have been pulled off, they may need replacing (not expensive) and to do it right you need to find flexible epoxy to reattach. Some installers just use urethane under them but it doesn’t bond nearly as well.

Note that the disposable plastic clips are very difficult to get off the rivets into the body.. I had to cut mine off the rivets to make room for the new parts.

View attachment 2754126

Installer did that on mine as well. The trim stuck up and was visibly not touching the windshield. They asked if I cared... I said yes. They ordered and replaced the clips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom