Wiendshield Replacement for 2019 LC (1 Viewer)

Wiendshield Replacement for 2019 LC?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Unfortunately I have to replace my windshield on my less that a month old LC. I used a dish sponge trying to remove some water spots and I scratched the entire wiendshiled really bad.

What do you recommend on the replacement? OEM part at $1400 or Aftermarket at $800? I am reading mixed reviews online.

Sorry to hear. That first scratch is always the hardest.

Question - is the $600 difference material to you?

As she's only a month old, I'm not sure that there are any detail differences in the windshield that may cause a compatibility issue with an aftermarket unit. Suspect not, but you never know with these things, and you'd likely be the first to try it. Is that worth the potential headache and cost difference?

In this case, I'd personally opt for an OEM one to avoid unforeseen issues, and make your brand new vehicle whole again.

Go factory only!!!!!! It’s guaranteed to work with all your electronics and sensors, plus after the money you spent on your ride you really want some secondhand piece of s*** glass

Quality installation is really, really important! In this case, likely the dealer with OEM parts.

Personally, I would do OEM glass but in my opinion the installer choice is far more important than the glass choice. Not ideal but I do wonder if nylon scratches can be polished out. I rather suspect they can.

I went OEM when I replaced. I had the installer that works for my local Toyota dealer do the work. He was dialed and I am very happy.

The usual aftermarket windshield that insurance will pay for in a claim is a Pilkington.

I had one installed in my '11 when it broke due to extreme cold, and I definitely felt it is not up to the same quality as OEM. In particular, the wiper defrosters along the bottom and left edge are not as sturdy looking.

I did the same thing on the back quarter glass, used a ScotchBrite pad to try to polish out some water spots, and it scratched the heck out of the window. There's no way to polish those scratches out, you have to replace the glass.

This stuff is fantastic for water spots and won’t damage the glass at all. It is the only thing I’ve found that can successfully remove rain-x.

Rain-X® X-treme Clean™ - Rain-X

Before you spend the money on a new windshield you ought to try to polish the scratches out. I got some lava cinders stuck under my wipers and scratched my windshield in a nice arc right in my line of sight. I was able to find a windshield repair shop that was able to polish/grind the scratches out. I can't see the scratches anymore in any kind of light. You can also buy the compound and tools they used for this fix on amazon, of course, and DIY.

Bart

I went OEM when I replaced. I had the installer that works for my local Toyota dealer do the work. He was dialed and I am very happy.
I did the same. I Had Pinkington once before, horrible quality and broke again within months and never again. I’d only go OEM

I did the same. I Had Pinkington once before, horrible quality and broke again within months and never again. I’d only go OEM

my toyota dealer is the largest in the state and has their tech use Pilkington. I had mine replaced last month for $410 as opposed to $1200 for OEM. The glass looks identical...all the way around...except that it doesn't say Toyota on in. I didn't have to have anything re-calibrated, everything works and I've noticed NOTHING to be different from my previous windshield.

I can buy three new windshields for the price of a new OEM. I quit trying to convince people of anything long ago...to each their own...but I can't find a reason to argue for OEM in this case. I'll gladly admit if I'm wrong should this windshield fail.

Just bought a 2013 certified used. The OEM glass was pitted terribly, it’s now cracked from a road rock. Doesn’t seem so magical.

I’ve learned from this forum that auto glass is the same, so probably going with Pilkington.

Even when they look the same the tempering can be very different, and I suspect that is the reason aftermarket seems to chip more easily than OEM on the vehicles I’ve had.

I’ll be shelling out for OEM when I finally get a chip/crack I can’t repair in my 20k mile pilkington panel. Three so far I’ve been able to fix.

All of that said, either way you go make SURE they use factory trim at the top. Many aftermarket panels get installed with generic trim and this causes a whistle at highway speeds.

My OEM windshields on the LC have not been great. My 2014 LC had terrible pitting and seemed really soft. Recently in sub freezing temps (and freezing rain), I turned on my defroster and pop just like that my windshield cracked all along the bottom. The LX windshield SEEMS to be more stout, but that's anecdotal. I'd prefer OEM glass, but I doubt there is much difference.

OEM. Just had mine replaced due to chip. The chip was located too close to edge and could not be filled. Safelite did the work; the said also to go OEM due to sensors and electronics. Had to wait to get glass ordered but believe well worth it.

Pilkington is an OEM supplier.

What does the OEM replacement glass say on the bottom corner? I'm interested in seeing what brand they're calling OEM.

If they try and put Fuyao on there, refuse. I haven't had luck with them at all.

It also matters greatly on your location as to how long glass lasts. In the only place I had chipped/cracked windshields, in 20 years and 35+ countries of driving, was in Utah :D. Lots of rocks on the road.

No reason to spend more than about $375.

Do a bit of hunting and you discover the manufacturer of OEM isn’t Toyota, but one of a couple of coded manufacturers. If your insurance pays for it, they’ll pay about $700. If you find an honest local installer who will order the correct glass, it will be quite a bit less.

If you are anywhere near San Diego, PM me and I’ll give you my installer’s info.

My current windshield is actually a vast improvement over the original.

No reason to spend more than about $375.

Do a bit of hunting and you discover the manufacturer of OEM isn’t Toyota, but one of a couple of coded manufacturers. If your insurance pays for it, they’ll pay about $700. If you find an honest local installer who will order the correct glass, it will be quite a bit less.

If you are anywhere near San Diego, PM me and I’ll give you my installer’s info.

My current windshield is actually a vast improvement over the original.
I'm pretty sure you don't have radar cruise control or other stuff like that ..... which is why we recommend OEM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom