Wiendshield Replacement for 2019 LC (1 Viewer)

Wiendshield Replacement for 2019 LC?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Paying $1200 or even $700 is silly, it should cost less than $400 to have a windscreen replaced. No reason to go OEM, Toyota doesn’t make the glass anyway. In fact I bet most dealers don’t even do the work, they probably have a glass installer like safelite come to their shop.

What does the windshield have to do with radar cruise? The radar sensor is behind the Toyota emblem on the grill.

I'm sorry, you are right... its the rain sensor and lane departure sensors. I got them mixed up, but its a huge black box under the rear view mirror

I'm pretty sure you don't have radar cruise control or other stuff like that ..... which is why we recommend OEM

Ah. No I don’t.

I thought radar cruise used sensors in front of hood...not windshield.

Last edited:
Ah. No I don’t.

I thought radar cruise used sensors in front of good...not windshield.
You are correct, its the rain sensor and lane departure sensors that are in the front windshield.

here's the rub...my installer told me he would be happy to order me the OEM glass. It was $1200...he's been replacing glass for our toyota dealer for 25 years...and told me it didn't matter to him...his rake was the same. As he stated, there is NO SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE between the Pilkington glass that he installed and what I would have purchased as "OEM". As was stated earlier, Pilkington is an OEM manufacturer...

What he did say was this...and he was emphatic about it..."Beyond the Safelite and a few other inferior products, the single biggest factor in having your glass replaced is the technician who does it." So, I politely asked that he do it and he obliged.

Again, not trying to change anyone's mind but I really feel like some people fool themselves into believing something...I mean, I bought Air Jordan's in high school and I still could barely slide a sheet of paper under my feet when I jumped...so I went back to Converse. ;)

Last edited:
You are correct, its the rain sensor and lane departure sensors that are in the front windshield.

Ah.
Yet another reason I prefer organic sensors for rain detection and lane-departure.

(Eyeballs)

Last edited:
My parts source is $580 for a factory panel, and fortunately I'm in the same city as them so I can avoid shipping costs.

And while I have no way of confirming the glass is better constructed, (that's only my gut, but so far it has been true on many other cars), I trust OEM to do a better job of things like the rain sensor bracket. My pilkington panel apparently has the sensor bracket spaced too far from the windshield so even with a new $25 chunk of the clear tape that goes between the sensor and the glass, it still doesn't sit totally flush like it should.

Details. That is what sets apart OEM from aftermarket, in my extensive experience working on cars. And while many MANY parts ultimately don't matter, or you can figure out who built it for toyota.. the chunk of glass I need to see through and expect to survive years of rocks being thrown at it, while doing other accessory things like sense rain or defrost wipers or have the VIN window lined up with the dash tag.. it's gonna be OEM. And yes, partly because I don't have to pay $1200 to get one.

I'll also go through hell and back to find an installer that actually knows what they are doing, hover while they do it, and provide factory trim clips and strips and install procedure from TIS.

And then I'll probably get a rock thrown into it a month later.

Pilkington with oem seals; my quote is $410

It has the deicer wires and the installer is the top installer on Yelp in my area.

I’ll report back.

My parts source is $580 for a factory panel, and fortunately I'm in the same city as them so I can avoid shipping costs.

And while I have no way of confirming the glass is better constructed, (that's only my gut, but so far it has been true on many other cars), I trust OEM to do a better job of things like the rain sensor bracket. My pilkington panel apparently has the sensor bracket spaced too far from the windshield so even with a new $25 chunk of the clear tape that goes between the sensor and the glass, it still doesn't sit totally flush like it should.

Details. That is what sets apart OEM from aftermarket, in my extensive experience working on cars. And while many MANY parts ultimately don't matter, or you can figure out who built it for toyota.. the chunk of glass I need to see through and expect to survive years of rocks being thrown at it, while doing other accessory things like sense rain or defrost wipers or have the VIN window lined up with the dash tag.. it's gonna be OEM. And yes, partly because I don't have to pay $1200 to get one.

I'll also go through hell and back to find an installer that actually knows what they are doing, hover while they do it, and provide factory trim clips and strips and install procedure from TIS.

And then I'll probably get a rock thrown into it a month later.
Yup, my Vin tag was partially cut off too.

What he did way was this...and he was emphatic about it..."Beyond the Safelite and a few other inferior products, the single biggest factor in having your glass replaced is the technician who does it." So, I politely asked that he do it and he obliged.

This is what I was going to say. But, from what I understand, the windshield install on a 200 is a lot easier and more straightforward than the 100 series. The 100 series had some funky rivets and was just pretty unorthodox. The 200 windshield is much more conventional and nothing out of the ordinary, according to an installer I dealt with.

I have a 2017 lc with a broken windshield in the Seattle area. I was quoted 1200 for the Oem glass, 300 to install and 400 to reprogram the electronics in the windshield. Apparently the car won’t run until the windshield is calibrated. I got this quote from two local dealers.

I have a 2017 lc with a broken windshield in the Seattle area. I was quoted 1200 for the Oem glass, 300 to install and 400 to reprogram the electronics in the windshield. Apparently the car won’t run until the windshield is calibrated. I got this quote from two local dealers.

That’s funny.

That is an important distinction. Coming from an OE supplier doesn’t guarantee OEM specifications.

A manufacturer making parts for toyota means much of the design and setup work is already done but there is no reason they can’t decide to cut costs on parts that get distributed to the aftermarket.

That is an important distinction. Coming from an OE supplier doesn’t guarantee OEM specifications.

A manufacturer making parts for toyota means much of the design and setup work is already done but there is no reason they can’t decide to cut costs on parts that get distributed to the aftermarket.

Not even my Toyota Service guy of 18 years and close pal of the owner buys that thinking, and the owner is a Land Cruiser nut with loads of spare cash. Even the owner—with his $millions$—doesn’t pay for Toyota-labeled glass on his LCs.

But we all get to decide where to put our money. ;)

Maybe that’s why he has millions and I don’t.

My current panel isn’t OEM and I’m not happy with it.. so when it gets replaced it will be OEM. $560 plus install. Worth it.

Edit: isn’t OEM but is OE supplier and still not happy for reasons I’ve listed

Last edited:
Maybe that’s why he has millions and I don’t.

My current panel isn’t OEM and I’m not happy with it.. so when it gets replaced it will be OEM. $560 plus install. Worth it.

Ya, I do understand how much it stinks to have a crummy windshield. My WRX some time back went through a crappy windshield install.

I would place major focus on **who** installs it.

I would place major focus on **who** installs it.

Totally Agree.

Those that didn’t see my windshield whistle thread might not know aftermarket trim across the top seems to be responsible for the sound so many of us have at highway speeds.

I called Magic Toyota and they quoted me $850 for OEM....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom