Why are these trucks priced too high? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm not going to read through 3 pages before posting this, but here it goes.

Land Cruisers aren't cheap anywhere in the world. nowhere. They're not built like anything else in their class and most times even above. 10 times out of 10 a land cruiser will get you there and back, and won't ask for anything in return except for fuel. Model runs are about a decade long so they're not "older" models and maintain value.

They're also not cheap to buy. Starting at about 55-60k up to around 87k.

A 4runner is a stepping stone to a land cruiser. It's what you buy if you can't afford a cruiser or don't need it's industrial build for your use.

4X4 4runners and tacos aren't cheap either. Look them up and compare them to other makes. Now that's a Toyota thing.

I was thinking about this yesterday looking at my friends cement 4runner TRD pro. While nice, i'd still buy a used cruiser over it. It's kinda like range rovers, there's a feeling to driving one that can't be matched.

Plus you've got this cheap gas/overlanding thing going on. That doesn't help matters one bit.

Edit: i just noticed your username, my brother lives in Kuwait and i told him to buy a cruiser. He couldn't believe how expensive they were for the age and mileage either. They're expensive everywhere. But it's a tool. It's like comparing a black and decker cordless drill to a hilti drill. Yes, they both perform the same function, it's just that the hilti lasts forever and will work consistently every time.

Last edited:
Since the OP has never responded, can we assume he was trolling? Asking for a friend.

Judging from his other post, I think he was serious. In the end, OP wants a Land Cruiser for a price of a 4runner.

OP if you don't see the "value" of a Land Cruiser, then you might be better off getting a 4runner. Or maybe even a Sequoia. Both are very reliable and capable on trails. I even considered it myself until I did my research and test drove all the vehicles. Land Cruiser will always be at the top of quality/durability vs the same year model of any other Toyota 4x4.

But it takes a special individual who can understand the heritage/engineering/capability of the Land Cruiser to truly appreciate it.

Land Cruiser is DEFINITELY not for everyone and it does not appeal to the masses. One does not simply "want to buy" a Land Cruiser, one must lust after it. (at least in my opinion)

The answer is among your lines, why would you ask 4K if buyers are willing to pay 10K?
And why are you willing to pay 10k for a 200k 18 years old car?

No matter how reliable it is, the chance of it breaking down is still high. Come on it is 18 years old truck you need to be replacing rubbers, hoses, tranny/diff/brake/suspension (if it has AHC) etc. Again it is 18 years truck and it you cannot expect it to give you life if you do not spend money on it.

Judging from his other post, I think he was serious. In the end, OP wants a Land Cruiser for a price of a 4runner.

OP if you don't see the "value" of a Land Cruiser, then you might be better off getting a 4runner. Or maybe even a Sequoia. Both are very reliable and capable on trails. I even considered it myself until I did my research and test drove all the vehicles. Land Cruiser will always be at the top of quality/durability vs the same year model of any other Toyota 4x4.

But it takes a special individual who can understand the heritage/engineering/capability of the Land Cruiser to truly appreciate it.

Land Cruiser is DEFINITELY not for everyone and it does not appeal to the masses. One does not simply "want to buy" a Land Cruiser, one must lust after it. (at least in my opinion)

I am serious why would I troll lol. I see the value of LC, I am from Kuwait and back home there is no single house without an LC parked outside. I know about these trucks but still 10k for a 18 years truck is so insane with their mileage (200+)

Market dictates price.
I understand it is supply and demand. I am just asking why pay the high price? why the demand for the LC while other vehicles are nearly as reliable as the LC and the other vehicles are cheaper to maintain?

Why is a Mercedes S-Class priced higher than the C-Class?
What has this to do with LC lol

S is high end and more luxuries with hydraulics and technologies like self-parking and safety and many other features. None sense comparison.

I would spend another $2000 to get 2004-2007 model with less than 100k miles per your post at Wanted - Clean 100 Series LX/LC 04-07.
Are you using my comment against me? I was just telling him that he is going to be spending more than the market lol

you did not answer my question nor contributed to the discussion

I bought my 1999 Land Cruiser with 312k miles for $2800. It now has 356k miles. That is one statistic you didn't mention. Mine runs, drives and rides so stinkin good I feel sure the 4runner will not run, drive and ride as well and will have more trouble the next three years than I will.

Ya know why? Because these trucks will last forever. So go ahead buy your 4Runner but don't wave at the hundys you pass.
find me one for 2k lol i will pay you commision
not joking

Last edited by a moderator:
I would drive it for a couple years and sell it to you for $5k

I'm not going to read through 3 pages before posting this, but here it goes.

Land Cruisers aren't cheap anywhere in the world. nowhere. They're not built like anything else in their class and most times even above. 10 times out of 10 a land cruiser will get you there and back, and won't ask for anything in return except for fuel. Model runs are about a decade long so they're not "older" models and maintain value.

They're also not cheap to buy. Starting at about 55-60k up to around 87k.

A 4runner is a stepping stone to a land cruiser. It's what you buy if you can't afford a cruiser or don't need it's industrial build for your use.

4X4 4runners and tacos aren't cheap either. Look them up and compare them to other makes. Now that's a Toyota thing.

I was thinking about this yesterday looking at my friends cement 4runner TRD pro. While nice, i'd still buy a used cruiser over it. It's kinda like range rovers, there's a feeling to driving one that can't be matched.

Plus you've got this cheap gas/overlanding thing going on. That doesn't help matters one bit.

Edit: i just noticed your username, my brother lives in Kuwait and i told him to buy a cruiser. He couldn't believe how expensive they were for the age and mileage either. They're expensive everywhere. But it's a tool. It's like comparing a black and decker cordless drill to a hilti drill. Yes, they both perform the same function, it's just that the hilti lasts forever and will work consistently every time.

thank you for not being aggressive lol, I appreciate it

I understand the reliability thing but still I feel 10k for a truck with 200k miles is too high despite the reliability
you cannot expect the LC to run strong without maintaining it regularly and of course, you know how expensive it is to maintain the LC!

Back home a land cruiser 2000 land cruiser with let us say 200km = 120k miles are worth approx $6000 at most, and let me not talk about the demand there.

Since the OP has never responded, can we assume he was trolling? Asking for a friend.
I am not trolling, tell your " friend "

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand the reliability thing but still I feel 10k for a truck with 200k miles is too high despite the reliability
you cannot expect the LC to run strong without maintaining it regularly and of course, you know how expensive it is to maintain the LC!

Sir, you simply know not of what you speak. Know not.

Using one of OP's points:

Every home in Kuwait has an LC parked outside.

That will give the perspective on the demand. We can establish that. The best question would be why they're so expensive here stateside. My attempt at rationalizing it is this: These trucks were not sold as utility vehicles here, they were sold as luxury vehicles. I will assume that many sold abroad were stripper models (correct me if I'm wrong). So originally, they were very expensive relative to higher volume SUVs. Once you do whatever formula you wanna do for depreciation and how a vehicle holds value, you may end up with a better perspective on their market pricing now . You could make similar comparisons for JDM market cars that are finally making their way over here.

Humans are not exclusively driven by logic.

I chose to buy a 14 year old truck that gets 10.5 mpg for use in Austin, TX’s urban core. It needed work and I paid a dealer their asking price ... five o other buyers were behind me willing to do the same.

If people like me are who you’re competing with to buy a 200,000 mile truck then what’s left to explain?

thank you for not being aggressive lol, I appreciate it

Back home a land cruiser 2000 land cruiser with let us say 200km = 120k miles are worth approx $6000 at most, and let me not talk about the demand there.

I am not trolling, tell your " friend "

Find me a clean one with 200k km for $6k and i'll have my brother pick it up. He's been looking.

Here are some listings i found real quick. with an exchange rate of 3.29, there's nothing close until you hit 400k Km's!

Q8Car - Kuwait - Cars - GXR 2004 لاندكروز

Q8Car - Kuwait - Cars - قير عادي ٢٠٠٤

Q8Car - Kuwait - Cars - العارضية

Q8Car - Kuwait - Cars - العارضية

and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Also keep in mind these aren't top of the line models either.

So even in a place like kuwait, where there's a land cruiser on every corner, they're not cheap.

Last edited:
I've owned two 4Runners across 4 years. Even when I bought my latest one, I couldn't shake the "lust" for a Land Cruiser. I sold that one and got into an LX470.

There really is nothing else quite like it. It does not feel like a large SUV, but it feels extremely comfortable and capable.

It is a Toyota, built to above typical Toyota standards.

That is why they are expensive. Excellent build quality, outstanding performance, and now, an enthusiast following.

Why $10,000? Another reason is that same strong resale pricing.

I bought my 1999 LC almost 10 years ago for $15,000 with somewhere around 80K miles on it. I've driven it another 80K and sounds like it would be possible to sell it for $8,000 plus. Not bad for that length of time and added miles. I wouldn't be surprised if that price point doesn't change from here on out - which means you can buy it, use it, then sell it, and get most of your $10,000 back. (Highly unlikely with the 4Runner.)

Goodness, just buy the 4Runner :).

And why are you willing to pay 10k for a 200k 18 years old car?

No matter how reliable it is, the chance of it breaking down is still high. Come on it is 18 years old truck you need to be replacing rubbers, hoses, tranny/diff/brake/suspension (if it has AHC) etc. Again it is 18 years truck and it you cannot expect it to give you life if you do not spend money on it.

I am serious why would I troll lol. I see the value of LC, I am from Kuwait and back home there is no single house without an LC parked outside. I know about these trucks but still 10k for a 18 years truck is so insane with their mileage (200+)

I understand it is supply and demand. I am just asking why pay the high price? why the demand for the LC while other vehicles are nearly as reliable as the LC and the other vehicles are cheaper to maintain?

What has this to do with LC lol

S is high end and more luxuries with hydraulics and technologies like self-parking and safety and many other features. None sense comparison.

Are you using my comment against me? I was just telling him that he is going to be spending more than the market lol

you did not answer my question nor contributed to the discussion

find me one for 2k lol i will pay you commision
not joking

Simple answer. Then don't buy one. The same concept applies to many purchases.

You can stop being hungry at Taco Bell or McDonalds. Sometimes you want filet mignon.
Music will play through a cheap radio or you can spend unlimited $ on a high end stereo system.
A $250 Mossberg will shoot the same shell as a $40,000 Purdy.

I could go on but your question is really kind of pointless. Anything is worth what someone will pay. It is no more complicated than that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom