Rear too high after lift kit install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Installed ironman foam cell pro 2in lift with dif drop kit. I made the mistake of choosing the heavy rear springs rated for 440+ and the rear came up almost a full 4 inches, was hoping it would be a little more firm but sit at just the 2in lift and be able to float a motorcycle off the back without squatting. I have the torsion bars cranked up about as far as they can go while still leaving some space for play but it only came up a little under 2in, so now its sitting really proud.

Feels a little oversprung and bouncy on the road but not too bad. I'm also running just one rear passenger seat for sleeping space and gear, but unloaded I'm probably much lighter than stock.

Would lower rated springs significantly improve ride quality?

Is it possible to damage the rear shocks or other components because the rear came up higher than the lift is rated for, and its sitting very uneven?

I talked with a cruiser shop that recommended replacing rear springs with the 1.5in lift OME stock weight springs to help ride quality and height, is this my best option? How would it sit after?

Is it possible to raise the front more if I leave the back this high? I don't mind some rake but feels pretty extreme right now

Any advice is appreciated, learning as I go. Thank you

IMG_2147.jpg

I like the way your shop is thinking - the OME 865 (also referred to as 2865) are 1.5” and ride like factory. A lot of love for those springs on here (I’ve had them myself).

*Edit: I missed the part about motorcycle - I believe the 866 gives you the same 1.5” height but higher weight capacity

I run the ironman fcp and they’ve been a great entry level shock - ironman lifts are notorious for high rear ends even when using the lightest (no/low weight) rear springs

Love the color of your LX - get this sorted out and it’ll look great

Last edited:
1. Lower the front torsion bars to the point where the distance from the center of the front hub to the bottom of the fender is a MAX of 22". The ride will improve.
2. Let the rear settle in a bit, give it some time. Your goal of a soft ride and the ability to hang a motorcycle off the back are in conflict. It's going to be a compromise here. Throw the bike on the back and drive around a bit with it back there and that will help settle the rear some and then see how you feel.

Nice rig!

Same note as ZG…put the bike on and/or throw 6-10 50 lb bags of sand in the back and drive it for a month. It could settle quite a bit and save you some $

I just put the same lift on my LX (440+ rear springs). Mine was higher in the rear at first but did settle as others have noted. One thing I’ll add is that one of my torsion bars was a tooth off and bottoming out before I could get the proper lift in the front. It was a pain, but taking it apart and adjusting the tooth was worth it. I have more weight in the rear than you due to a BIO bumper but I’m sitting pretty level now.

IMG_6033.jpeg

IMG_6032.jpeg

Thank you for the replies, I appreciate the advice. I'm going to drive it around loaded up for a while and see if it settles more before I pull the trigger on new springs.

You're more patient than I am. I couldn't drive it with that much rake.

I've got the same problem as the OP, but with a different brand of shocks and springs.
After the AHC was removed it got new Terrain Tamer springs and Koni Raid shocks.
But has the same amount of rake as the OP.
When I asked the shop, they told me it has to settle a bit.
How much can you expect it to settle, and how long does it take?

Thanks,

IMG_8439.jpeg
IMG_7109.jpeg

1.5” DOB springs. Ended up being nearly 2.5” of lift. They said it would settle and it has been.

Bottom photo right when I installed it (I adjusted the torsion bars to pick up the nose a bit to keep it from being crazy)

Top photo is now after about 800 miles and a new roof rack. Looks like it settled and I have to lower the torsion bars again.

Thanks for the reply and photo's.
The conversion was done a few month ago, and only have driven it for about a 100 miles, but it didn't settle much.
Will put some bags of gravel in the back for a few weeks, drive some more and see what it does.

Thanks

This is what the truck looked like before. Front 19.7" from center hub to fender, back 22.2" from center hub to fender.

unloaded.jpg

Added 550 lbs of gravel in the back and it dropped about an inch in the back (Front 19.7" from center hub to fender, back 21.3" from center hud to fender).
Still looks a little high in the back to me. Will leave the load there for a few weeks, and see what it will do.
loaded.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom