Who uses a stand-alone tent? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We use a Kodiak Canvas 10 x 12 with 3 cots and there is room for 4. Tent has held up through wicked storms and 8 inches of snow. Doubles as a elk hunting cabin for us as well. Check them out! Bombproof and easy to setup with only three poles. Only drawback is its weight.

Sleeping on a cot is worth its weight!

I use an REI Half Dome 2 tent that I can put on the ground but prefer to toss it up on my folding plywood platform. When not in the tent, I use my Hennessey Hammock (deep jungle model) or sleep in the truck. My kit has to be extremely flexible depending on whether I'm by myself, with the Boy Scouts or have 1-2 kids with me.

upload_2017-9-6_9-31-36.jpeg

REI Half Dome; perfect for the two of us.
IMG_1163.jpg

Eureka Copper Canyon my bro and I used on our trip to Bryce-light, and set up in ~ 15 minutes--kept us dry and safe from the 1/4" hail we encountered
8354_Image_002.jpg

Literally sets up in less than two minutes. Great for car camping and kept me dry during last week's cloud burst in the Sierras. Big enough for a cot and I can stand up in it. Worth every bit of the $70.00 I paid for it. Costco special.
001.JPG

I'm a gear whore, so I have several...

Black Diamond Firstlight- mainly use it for backpacking (~3 lbs, single wall, maybe the size of a Nerf football packed)

BDtent.jpg

We have a kid on the way, so I was shopping for a Big Agnes Flying Diamond 6 (2 adults, 1 kid, 2 German Shepherds). I ended up getting a screaming deal on a Flying Diamond 8 that was used 1 night from a friend of a friend, who happens to work for BA. It's freaking huge, but the price was too good to pass up.

BAFD8.jpg

I also have a 15 year old North Face Roadrunner 2 that still gets used occasionally for people from out of town, etc. The fly probably has more duct tape than fabric at this point.

rr2.jpg

Last, and definitely least, an old Mtn Hardwear Skyview (I think) that has been beat to absolute piss that I only use as a drop tent to hold a campsite while I look for a better one lol.

skyview2.jpg

Instant Dome from the look of it.

Yes, instant dome.

that guy is hard core...no bag, no pad, no warm food. just me, my bike, and this ear tent...you think he enforces his own 3 foot rule?

a tent, what the hell is that?!?
an ole army cot, nondescript sleepin' bag, couple of surplus wool blankets and done. oh, and an 8'x10' tarp if more than 30% chance of rain
no, mrs kirvesmies won't go with me. why do you think i camp that way!?!

Literally sets up in less than two minutes. Great for car camping and kept me dry during last week's cloud burst in the Sierras. Big enough for a cot and I can stand up in it. Worth every bit of the $70.00 I paid for it. Costco special.View attachment 1536121

My wife who does not do ladders uses the same tent. I will admit it does sets up and goes down fast for a tent and is wife approved. Uses an EXPED mattress for 100% comfort and the ability to stand and dress with privacy is appreciated.

IMG_6191.JPG

Seems the REI Half Dome is popular.....I have the *plus* version which is a bit longer. Great for car camping as the ExPed MegaMat fits easily (length wise) and the length and vestibules create plenty of protected space for stuff. It also weighs in at about 5.5 pounds with everything so a bit heavy for back packing, but worth it if the weather turns bad.

CVT Black Butte Ground Tent when we take Rocky (the dog, 100lb malamute mix) but if it's just my girlfriend and I we sleep in the cruiser. The black butte tent is awesome because it fits a full size air matress and the dog bed perfectly but it also acts an anchor if I have it attached to my awning when it is really windy.
18740428_1445019158870490_7169206827041515346_n.jpg

18620691_1439588236102002_731472849450787749_o.jpg

18739679_1445019155537157_269401329579478179_n.jpg

21430268_1552504028143755_5844081432120155764_n.jpg

Columbia wall tent. Two rooms and 8' tall. Weighs about 40 lbs. and takes up 2.5 cubic feet. I will never own a RTT while I have kids.

I use the REI 4 person dome when it's just me hanging with the boys. The family and I use a Marmot Limestone 8 person to accommodate 4 people and gear. Pictured here is the 4 person and a buddy's setup...

2017a_IMG_6542.JPG

I like the versatility of using a tarp for a tent. I've used this Noah tarp in all terrains and seasons... it seems to fit the bill for me. In bad weather I sleep in a bivi sack under the tarp to ensure I don't get wet.

kamp-karma-voodoo-alter.jpg
Kamp-Karma.jpg
fj-cruiser-camp-alvord-desert.jpg
Campig-alvord-desert-Playa.jpg
prayer-flags-tent.jpg

Are you Sheldon Cooper?
fun flags.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom