Who uses a stand-alone tent? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have been enticed by a roof top tent and even gone to look at them in the showroom. What looks cooler then aa FJ40 with a roof top tent right? And if your overloading by yourself or with your girl then there probably isn't anything better. I Did this with some guys last spring. But with all my thinking and figuring it just doesn't seem like it would work all that well for our family of four. In order to be comfortable and have a place to make food or have a place for the girls to change we would need to set up that lower part they call the annex. That looks like it would take quite a while to zip on and off and pack up. Longer then my ground tent for sure. Plus you have to pack it all up every time you want to go somewhere. So I'm back to considering either a turbo tent or what I'd really like a 10x14 Kirkham's Springbar for family tent camping. In the mean time I use an old 7x9 canvas tent I picked up at a yard sale 20 years ago. A little too small for the family but with a little seam sealer and water proofing it works great for 2 or 3
IMG_5501.jpeg
unspecified-1.jpeg
unspecified-2.jpeg

View attachment 1458834 I've been using an OZ tent RV5 for the past four years and have no complaints. I have the front room as well that I'll setup if I'm staying more than one night. Picture from earlier this evening.

So how fast does that set up? Have you had it out in snow/rain/slush? I guess you travel with it rolled on the roof?
Trying to help my brother find a solution. Thx,
PS Nice side windows!

So how fast does that set up? Have you had it out in snow/rain/slush? I guess you travel with it rolled on the roof?
Trying to help my brother find a solution. Thx,
PS Nice side windows!
The tent itself sets up within a few minutes, the front room takes 15 minutes to set up because it has to be staked and guy lines extended out. I've had the tent out in a few storms where there was winds in excess of 60mph, it held up fine but I had an extensive amount of guy lines. I had it in a flood last year where I woke up to 4 inches of water around and underneath the tent. It felt like I was sleeping on a water bed. The inside of the tent was completely dry due to the "bathtub" floor.

been using an oz tent RV5 for about 4 years now

14258254_10153996510812875_1962329241330501797_o.jpg

image.jpg
If I'm not sleeping in the back of my rig I'm using a marmot 3 person tent or a small 2 man ALPS back packing tent but if the bugs aren't bad I much prefer a simple sun/rain/dew shelter with a paco pad .. Like others I'm just not drawn to the RTT partly because everyone thinks they have to have em and it just isn't what I want

I have used regular ground tents all my life, mostly Sierra Designs mountaineering tents and Big Agnes lightweight backpacking tents. Last year I seriously considered buying an OZ Tent for vehicle-based camping, but opted for a used RTT instead. In a few year's time I will probably swap it for an OZ or something similar, but the RTT certainly has an advantage in the winter :)
IMG_2955.jpg

View attachment 1458834 I've been using an OZ tent RV5 for the past four years and have no complaints. I have the front room as well that I'll setup if I'm staying more than one night. Picture from earlier this evening.

The tent itself sets up within a few minutes, the front room takes 15 minutes to set up because it has to be staked and guy lines extended out. I've had the tent out in a few storms where there was winds in excess of 60mph, it held up fine but I had an extensive amount of guy lines. I had it in a flood last year where I woke up to 4 inches of water around and underneath the tent. It felt like I was sleeping on a water bed. The inside of the tent was completely dry due to the "bathtub" floor.

I assume you strap your Oztent to your roof rack? I have the RV4 and still struggling with how to make traveling with it nice and easy (love the tent itself once set up; it's bulletproof). I've done a few trips with it on my roof rack and it was a little bit of a pain getting it up and down with the weight, needing two people to do it, etc. Might just be the price you pay for a sweet tent like that. Curious what you guys do. Thanks!

I assume you strap your Oztent to your roof rack? I have the RV4 and still struggling with how to make traveling with it nice and easy (love the tent itself once set up; it's bulletproof). I've done a few trips with it on my roof rack and it was a little bit of a pain getting it up and down with the weight, needing two people to do it, etc. Might just be the price you pay for a sweet tent like that. Curious what you guys do. Thanks!

My sister and her partner have one of the RV tents. The thing weighs a tonne!
Might be quick to "set up" (read as unfold) once it's off the roof. But pack up time, and man-handling it back onto the roof put me off.

If it is just me, I sleep in the car on a platform or in the Rhinorack/sceened in room.
IMG_4577.JPG

If the family is going I use the RV-5. As some have said, it is heavy getting on and off the roof but I have done it enough that I can easily manage it by myself.

IMG_4442.JPG

Both are easy to set up and make a comfortable base camp. When the family is along, we do all the cooking and mixed drink making in the screened in room.

Plan to get the additional room that zips to the awning for the RV-5 in the near future.

I have a RTT on a small trailer (which I love) and a basic Coleman instant tent and cots. Family of 4 going to test it out this summer in Colorado. We have a 6x6 tall shower tent too for storing clothes/changing etc.

I'd like to get a nicer canvas ground tent, but they seem bulky and heavy. Look nice though.

Also considering something like this for cheap space. Ozark Trail 6-Person 10' x 10' Connectent for Canopy Amazon.com : Ozark Trail 6-Person 10' x 10' Connectent for Canopy : Patio, Lawn & Garden

IMG_5412.PNG

Last edited:
I just put it up top. It's never really been an issue. I've loaded canoes up top for years which makes the tent feel light.

I purchased a Marmot 8p tent and haven't used it yet. It's my effort to make camping a little more comfortable for my wife who doesnt much care for camping. Ive thought the tent thing through heavily and for my region I do a lot of base camping. In that situation a stand alone is way better. In point to point situations I can see the RTT being a good option I just dont want to drag my entire carbuncle around with me on day trips.

I've been using an OZ tent RV5 for the past four years and have no complaints. I have the front room as well that I'll setup if I'm staying more than one night. Picture from earlier this evening.
This looks like a great tent. Does it get extremely hot? Where I camp most of the time night time temps are unbearable in a lightweight tent. I would like a quality tent that sleeps 5+ that sets up like that. I have watched a few videos and it looks like a great product.

Use solo tent, 3 man tent and now a 10x12 Kodiak Canvas tent with cots . The Kodiak tent is great and we love it! Plus, it doubles as my shelter for hunting trips. Check them out as they are simple to pitch. Called Kodiak Flex Bow

This looks like a great tent. Does it get extremely hot? Where I camp most of the time night time temps are unbearable in a lightweight tent. I would like a quality tent that sleeps 5+ that sets up like that. I have watched a few videos and it looks like a great product.
The temps aren't to bad, but I do have a 12v Fan-tastic fan I sleep with in the summer. The fabric keeps the tent cool in the morning because it blocks much of the light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom