Who uses a stand-alone tent? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_2562.JPG
IMG_2564.JPG
IMG_2566.JPG
IMG_2567.JPG
Finally set up my trek canvas 9x12 I got last season for 200 BUCKS!!! It had a learning curve and definite order of events, but should do nicely for a base camp. I will apply the 2 night minimum, however... the shorter trips can just swag it...

Other than the older RTT I have

Walrus tunnel vision 2
100_0890.jpg

Mountain hardware Yellowstone
upload_2017-6-20_17-16-16.jpeg

Sierra Designs that I can't remember the name of but is very similar to the Moss designs and was made in 92 ish..
s-l225.jpg

Family tent from cabela's (the ability to hook up to a truck has not been used yet lol

131_0211_camp_28_cd_z.jpg

Then a handful of small dome tents..

Dad's got some great old holubar tents that I've had my eyes on for years..
like this one.
568713ac42113a72ce7f89b1852475d7.jpg

I may have a problem.. But they are all useful for different things..

that's pretty- in tents...

Here is our second largest tent in use last weekend. A little big for just two but it's got good wind resistance and a full-on rain fly for bad weather...
View attachment 1453454

We have the same Cabelas West Wind, I believe it's a 4. We have been using it for 8 years and been through some serious weather, high and dry. Great without the fly as well on hot summer nights and has a vestibule that is great for boots etc and to aid keeping interior dry. Not an ez up type tent for sure but worth the effort.

They generally work fine unless it is very windy or rainy..

Just an update, if anyone was interested about the quality and weather resistance of the Kodiak Canvas springbar tent--we spent the last week camping in north Georgia where it rained heavily almost every night. Not a drop of water inside, and no transfer of water from the walls (like in most tents where anything touching a wall would get wet). I was truly impressed. The only thing that bothered me (a little) was that, due to its design, the top panel of the tent is stretched really tight, and under heavy rain it sounds a bit like a snare drum.

anyone own or used this tent before?
Amazon.com : Coleman Sundome 4-Person Tent : Family Tents : Sports & Outdoors

Looking for something slightly bigger than my 2 person Alps tent for car camping

They generally work fine unless it is very windy or rainy..

Thanks, it should fit the bill than. Was looking for something relatively cheap

That's our "fair weather" summer car camping tent. We used it last weekend (it sucks though, when the weather suddenly isn't very fair :lol: ). Otherwise, it's fine. Super easy to set up. Things start to break if it's windy though. LOL
IMG_3915.JPG

Last edited:
what? did you fart?

Just an update, if anyone was interested about the quality and weather resistance of the Kodiak Canvas springbar tent--we spent the last week camping in north Georgia where it rained heavily almost every night. Not a drop of water inside, and no transfer of water from the walls (like in most tents where anything touching a wall would get wet). I was truly impressed. The only thing that bothered me (a little) was that, due to its design, the top panel of the tent is stretched really tight, and under heavy rain it sounds a bit like a snare drum.

I was looking at the 1 person tent Kodiak makes, but after further research I wouldn't get the one man based solely on weight. It was listed at 17.5 lbs!!!! For backpacking that is a huge amount of weight, especially when every ounce you can shave counts. I guess vehicle based camping it wouldn't matter, but I wouldn't have a single person tent in that scenario.... not sure what they were thinking when they designed it?

I thought I knew that look...

It went up easier once the sequence of events is worked out... no pics of inside, but it is big, and stays cool under the sun; warm at night.
IMG_2687.JPG
IMG_2699.JPG

^^^I bet women appreciate you're support of breast cancer awareness!

Remember...Save the Ta Ta's!

I prefer the REI Half Dome. No extra drag on the roof, better mpg. Wells, NV; Ely, NV; Prescott NF, AZ.

IMG_4513.JPG

ECC7A39E-6946-4584-869E-12E37147E83F.JPG

IMG_3368.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom