Who uses a stand-alone tent? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's some pics of the vintage-style bell tent. This one is a 4m model made from cotton canvas with mosquito netting and zip-off PVC groundsheet.

20161020_140236_zps2ytpqhyg.jpg

20161020_140312_zpsdl5tu3ih.jpg

20161020_140259_zpsypeunl92.jpg

20161115_190357_zpsqxpejvgi.jpg

So these tents are commonly thought of as "glamping" tents. I was approached by a retailer in Australia a couple of years ago to comprehensively test one of these tents over a period of six months. It went on numerous road trips and 4wd trips. It even came with me on a canoe trip - no small feat since it weighs 25kg. I left it set up in the backyard during a week of flooding rain and electrical storms and discovered that the only time the water came in was when I opened the doors to check if any water had leaked through. It stood up to gale force winds too. The steel pole is heavy duty enough that there wasn't even a hint of bending.

The only downside to the tent I discovered (apart from the weight and bulk) was that the light beige canvas made the tent hot in mid-summer, even with the main doors and the windows open. if there's no bugs around you can unzip the floor of the tent and roll up the sides so you get amazing airflow, but if you're in mosquito country you're sh!t out of luck.

To pitch the tent you first need to peg out the groundsheet, then put up the central pole and the light A-frame pole over the doorway, then peg out the guylines. I can do it in about 9-10 minutes by myself, but I have had a ton of practice by now.

I was sad to give the tester tent back to the retailer at the end of the six months, but I sure wasn't going to drop a grand on one by buying it locally. No tent is worth a thousand dollars. I ended up tracking them back to the factory in China in which they are made and purchased one directly for A$560 shipped. Mine is the one you see in the pictures.

As a string of girlfriends and hot dates will attest, chicks dig these tents, so if you're looking to get your significant other into camping, but want a rugged and fully featured tent, one of these bad boys will grease the wheels hahaha

I use a Montana Canvas Wedge tent when camping with the family, a dome tent when I'm buy myself, and a Henery Shires Tarp Tent when Back Packing which also serves backyard camping duty for my daughter
DSC00631.JPG
DSC00653.JPG
IMG_4260.JPG

I thought about an RTT, but to be honest, I feared I'd end up killing myself having to get up at 3 in the morning to pee. Since we mostly just car camp in state campgrounds, I picked up a Kodiak Canvas Springbar tent (10x14).

It's an incredible tent, but holy cow it's huge, and heavy. I saw the numbers when I ordered it, but it didn't sink in until I set it up. It's a hell of a tent, though!

North Face Bastion 4- 4 season but kinda hot in the summer

In the late Fall I like to use my heavy canvas Springbar tent. Super warm and waterproof for inclement weather. Summers I love my REI that have many vents and ceiling that lets us see the stars. I must own six various tents. I really want a JB RTT.

I sleep on the passenger side of 44, and Chester sleeps behind the driver's seat, when we are only spending a single night.

For multiple nights, we pitch our Kelty Trail Ridge Six... I'm very pleased with it, it has a full rain fly. But, I've only needed the fly for wind thus far. It goes up really fast, with only me... even in hard winds... Just stake the upwind side before erecting the tent.

It's a bit of overkill, in size, but we still had Gunner when I bought it... It was perfect for the three of us... And even roomier now.

I would like to see 6 adults try to fit inside just once.

image.jpeg

I use everything from a backpacking tent all the way up to a hugeass cabela's dome tent ("The Discodome"). Depending on who is there and what we're doing. Not into the whole RTT thing either.

:meh:
Here is our second largest tent in use last weekend. A little big for just two but it's got good wind resistance and a full-on rain fly for bad weather...
IMG_3543.JPG

I have a few setups that I like and are flexible on seasons. First is summer big house, based on a 10x10 popup, this tent is as high as the canopy and big square room. Great summer base camp and goes up fast. Blue tent has no frame, and attaches to the popup frame.

IMG_0751.JPG

Second is this 7x9 tent that extends from popup canopy with one stick and a few guy lines. It allows for the whole area of the canopy to be set up as an open area or kitchen. It's only 6ft high, so smallish but easy up and another summer or spring favorite. Can also be used with the big blue tent as an addition room, the doors join and can be sealed from bugs.

IMG_1006.JPG

IMG_1010.JPG

Third is my all season and perfect winter Big Agnes 8. Its large enough to avoid cabin fever, and sometimes I can use it with the canopy for extra space. But my whole kitchen and tables fit in the tent in cold winter weather. I can assemble it in a few mins. And with the rain fly that goes all the way to the bottom, has withstood 50mph winds without issues.

IMG_2553.PNG

Here is our second largest tent in use last weekend. A little big for just two but it's got good wind resistance and a full-on rain fly for bad weather...
View attachment 1453454

Hey SP, that area looks very familiar. About where was that camp site? What lake is in the background?

Thanks

Hey SP, that area looks very familiar. About where was that camp site? What lake is in the background?

Thanks
No lake, it's the middle of freaking nowhere Nevada.

:lol:

The closest "town" is Mina. It's actually in that picture somewhere.

The dark valley fooled me.

The area looked familiar. I know that area too.

Nice spot!

Cabela's West Wind 6 (I think). I think it's around 6' at center.

I am in the market for a family tent. Stepped into a West Wind today and didn't like all the mesh on top that can't be zipped up. Went with a Alaska Guide which is the same but the mesh is smaller. May end up with the west wind though, just not sure cause it can get cold in the Colorado mountains in summer and I feel like if it's a little less drafty that would be better.

I have an MSR 2-3 person 3-4 season (superfly?) for myself or me and one other.

I don't have a desire for a RTT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom