Who is running the SCS F5 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Richbroke correct no modifications are required on the F5.

@WiscoPat beatiful truck! Tell us more about it!

From my understanding it's just the size of the lug holes on the wheel itself. For my spare I used a standard locking lug nut and it bit into the edge of the bore hole and scratched the paint slightly.

Has anyone had any issues with these. I had mine installed for less rhen 2 weeks and had one fall off while driving. Broke off 2 wheel studs and was only able to find 2 wheel lugs. Tire store took responsibility and paid for repairs and replacement wheel. Replacement wheel arrived today and took it to tire store to have it installed. When they finished the were checking to make sure all wheels were set to proper torque specs and found a missing lug nut on a different wheel. Not aure if repair shop removed and forgot to replace or if it fell off before. What torque specs is everyone running. I purchased the wheel lugs from scs.

20230501_095125.jpg

20230501_095120.jpg

I agree with @SpenserAK and I always retorque all of my lug nuts as soon as I get home from the tire shop. I stopped going to Discount Tire because of their lack of knowledge of how a torque wrench works.
If one lug nut is tighter than any of the others you risk them backing off.
And also if the lugs are over tightened you risk warping the rotors.

I’m sorry that this happened to you @Richbroke and I hope no one was injured. I would invest in a decent torque wrench and make sure they are set to factory specs, especially after visiting the tire shop.

I specifically raise the wheel/tire off the ground, loosen all of the lugs and then retighten (in a star pattern) to verify the wheel is centered. Then I lower until the tire is only touching the ground and then torque the lug nuts in a star pattern, only then do I consider it worthy of carrying the load of the truck.
It may seem meticulous and a little OCD, but I’ve never in all my 25+ years of owning and working on my cars had a wheel come off while driving.
Hope this helps.

Has anyone had any issues with these. I had mine installed for less rhen 2 weeks and had one fall off while driving. Broke off 2 wheel studs and was only able to find 2 wheel lugs. Tire store took responsibility and paid for repairs and replacement wheel. Replacement wheel arrived today and took it to tire store to have it installed. When they finished the were checking to make sure all wheels were set to proper torque specs and found a missing lug nut on a different wheel. Not aure if repair shop removed and forgot to replace or if it fell off before. What torque specs is everyone running. I purchased the wheel lugs from scs.
damn. that sucks, with kids in the car too. i wouldn't blame the wheel, but the tire shop, which sounds like you did. shops like ugga-dugga guns, and torque sticks if you are lucky. i hope you've had all studs replaced and have the right shape lugs for your wheels. i see a steel wheel on the ground; that will require a higher torque (109 ft-lbs) and conical lug nuts. i don't know what type of lugs the F5's take...conical? but i'd lower from 109

i torque my 95 with the later shank/washer style lug on stock alloys to 80 ft-lbs. spec is 76 but i round up. and check it again after a few trips around the block. never had a wheel lug ever come loose after using a proper torque wrench and star procedure, whether on a truck or race car. also, never put anti-seize on the stud as it changes the torque and you WILL overtorque the lug and snap the stud. i do use anti-seize on the hub to wheel face so i can get the wheel off!

helpful chart from Wits End. this is for factory wheels and lugs, but the point is there are different lugs and specs depending on what wheel you have.
80-Series-Lugnuts__71695.1490768407.png

View attachment 3314816

View attachment 3314817
I've been running two sets of these since they were on 'pre-buy'. I've put well over couple hundred thousand on them on 2 trucks.
The supplied lug nuts from SCS are extremely well made and torque easily. These are all the same as far as Tq spec. 95-110 lbs. The
Tq is based on stud diameter, not wheel. I rotate my own tires. On occasion I've found lose lug nuts that I've done myself.
As a driver you are responsible to check these things after service cause once it's out the shop door it's kinda hard for them to doublecheck.
It's standard that after 50-100 miles you want to walk around and put a wrench to them. I have absolute faith in the SCS lug nuts, but they
can still come lose especially after install. I can say that no shop will ever turn you away ( unless they are slammed on snow tire day! ) if
you return the truck and ask for a quick double check of torque on wheels installed a couple days ago.

I was in the wrong for not double checking there work. I luckly the covered repairs and replaced my wheel. I take all my cars there and am in there at least once a month. I never had a problem and just became complacent. Needless to say i will be checking all of my wheels after they are removed and make sure torque specs are correct. I took off all the wheels and put them back on and torqued to 80 ft lb, drove 50 miles and double check to make sure all lugs were at 80ft lb. I didn to expect SCS had any issues because i figured i would have heard about it before but just thought i would double check. Lesson learned.

I've ran my SC5 Gen5 17x9 -38 on 37x12.15 on 10 psi. Crawled around all around the Sierra Nevadas for 2 years. I enjoy them so far. My only complaint is the deep dish, big offset wheels "eat" rocks quiet a bit.

I always torque my nuts ;)

IMG_1481.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom