Who has the HIGHEST mileage on an 80??? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I aint lyin’

95099A72-EDA3-4719-AD84-936B4B25C620.jpeg

I guess you could see that 2 different ways couldn't you. Right thread, just for fun. Original miles, no roll over.

221,xxx miles on my 1997 👍

Bought her seven years ago.
Just did a full cooling system update a few weeks ago, new tires back in May…moving into the ignition system PM update.

52858CA8-8954-4CBA-A2FC-BCEFAAFF4C20.jpeg

39D2F342-C605-4467-83F9-7AB29502270A.jpeg

2F26DFAA-10FA-41B6-85AB-5E93FF34F97E.jpeg

I'm at 384,5xx. Wife drove it today. It'll probably be 384,6xx by this evening. We'll have to do something special for 400k but with the mileage we put on the old girl these days that's probably two years away.

At 398k now, 13 years later
Probably one of the few who can honestly claim 400k behind the wheel of an 80 themself. Have you ever been stranded? Has anything surprised you? If you could go back in time, would you do anything differently with your truck to make those miles easier?

Probably one of the few who can honestly claim 400k behind the wheel of an 80 themself. Have you ever been stranded? Has anything surprised you? If you could go back in time, would you do anything differently with your truck to make those miles easier?
Broken rear wheel studs after hitting a hydraulic Jack in the frwy was a major pain but it help create a new product.

PHH blew and I had to get towed for that cuz I was too far away to easily work on it myself.

Headgasket blew at 290 whatever k and Bar’s rescued my ass. Had two radiators blow but the RD has taken care of that problem permanently.

I’d say if I had to do it all over I’d be as anal about maintenance as I am now. Back then I was out of the country a LOT on assignments so I wasn’t great at staying on top of thing ls.

Looking back I should never have wasted my time/money on anything but Toyota brake components. I never should have suffered with BFG garbage.

I like the turbo engine 100x better than this SC one but again, it’s fostered tons of product devs and it’s hard to regret that. I have both the SC and turbo now so I can choose as I please.

I *think* my last regret is not getting a third dedicated trail 80. One I didn’t care beating up.

Broken rear wheel studs after hitting a hydraulic Jack in the frwy was a major pain but it help create a new product.

PHH blew and I had to get towed for that cuz I was too far away to easily work on it myself.

Headgasket blew at 290 whatever k and Bar’s rescued my ass. Had two radiators blow but the RD has taken care of that problem permanently.

I’d say if I had to do it all over I’d be as anal about maintenance as I am now. Back then I was out of the country a LOT on assignments so I wasn’t great at staying on top of thing ls.

Looking back I should never have wasted my time/money on anything but Toyota brake components. I never should have suffered with BFG garbage.

I like the turbo engine 100x better than this SC one but again, it’s fostered tons of product devs and it’s hard to regret that. I have both the SC and turbo now so I can choose as I please.

I *think* my last regret is not getting a third dedicated trail 80. One I didn’t care beating up.
So you’ve never had the bottom end apart?

I didn't read the whole thread, but I have 415k on mine. Original except preventative hg replacement. Plus some, I have been running 33's for at least 10 years. I have had mine for 18+ years.

1991 FJ80. Got it back in 2016 bone stock. No idea before that. Baselined, bunch of add ons, basic maintenance otherwise. Went from stock 31s to 33s when the clock read 370k(ish). Clock is actually at nearly 388k now. So maybe 390k? To be honest I did grab a junk yard TC and replaced mine that I burned up about 5k ago.

PXL_20220914_234802764~2.jpg

PXL_20220914_234634473.jpg

Mine is now over 688 k km's on original 1hz motor so not bad for a 3/1992 build base model 80.

What's going to kill the vehicle is the body rust as it won't get better and eventually I'll have to make a decision to stop spending money on trying to keep it going.

427k miles on og engine? 👏🏼

What’s the typical expected life of an untouched og 1hz or 1hd and which is most desirable in aus?

07CBEE63-0C44-415F-B263-E5DC8C807B01.png

Mine is now over 688 k km's on original 1hz motor so not bad for a 3/1992 build base model 80.

What's going to kill the vehicle is the body rust as it won't get better and eventually I'll have to make a decision to stop spending money on trying to keep it going.

Last edited:
1997 with 340,218 miles. Factory triple locked. I personally drove 306k of those since buying it in 2001. My 21 years of service records include no major replacements beyond radiator, fuel pump/filter. Still crosses the country like a Pro! Hard to part with an old friend but will probably entrust it to a new owner this year.

1537A322-5E8D-4680-9BDA-61A139C1A89A.jpeg

CEB26DC0-DE30-485D-BD47-002E607F3A04.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom