Who ever try Gateway tyres 15" or 16" (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
Found those ones on the web, their look different and aggressive. On E bay its an old Land Rover that´s have a set,i believe he got in 16"

Gateway Tire Buckshot Mudders Bias Ply - OK4WD

eBay Motors: Land Rover (item 270270676927 end time Sep-06-08 10:16:56 PDT)
abuckshotmudder_008.jpg
c493_12.JPG
cef9_12.JPG

They are really old school. I haven't seen anyone running them in years. Swampers pretty much swept them out of the picture (and now swampers have plenty o' competition)

I'd rate them as not as flexible as a radial (like bfg) and not as much lug gripping traction as a swamper but the same flat spotting probs.

Meh....they're ok.

Q78's

Had a set of Q78's (Gateway gumbo Mudders) about twenty years ago, great tires, they really loved the mud and cleaned out easy.

When I bought my FJ40 it already had the gateway Buckshot Radial mudders PR78-15LT on it. The equate to a 33inch tire. MY experience with them was they wore unevenly, and were a little loud. The loudness didn't bother me. The tire was ok off-road, I had some chunks come out of the tire. I don't do any aggressive offroading though and had some gashes in the side wall. I went to 35 x 12.50 BFG M/T and love them. Swampers would be nice but for what I do I am happy with the BFG M/T. My BFG are holding up very well. I love those tires. I am on my second set of those tires for my Silverado. I got 60,000 miles on my last set on my Chevy. I rotate them every other oil change and always monitor the air pressure. Good luck..

Thanks for all the inputs, im still looking for the tire thats suites my state ( Florida) all swamps here,no rock or clay mud like in Puerto Rico. Maybe i will go with more taller and skinny tires ,like the NDT Military. The issue it´s that a rim 16x6 its hard to find,stockton wheels selling ea for 145.00 plus ride or buy white spokes 16x7 ..on the 15 area the stocks steels fj40 are hard to find disc type or to expensive. if i go with 15 rims then i will run ltb or q78-15..will see
413342652305_0_BG.jpg
chepofj40.jpg

Yes I ran Qr15's on my 73. The first 3rd of the rubber goes fast but the rest of it lasts forever. I centersiped mine and my winter, ice and snow, traction went through the roof. Siping them also really helps with the ride. The bias, if you can still get them, have over and inch of tred but ride like eggs.

People used to run these all the time when I was growing up in South Lousiana. They were awesome in LA mud, but were like ice skates when it rained, loud, and wore fast on the street. I didn't know they still made them. I knew a guy that had put the P78-15 on the stock Toyota chrome 6 spoke 15X6 wheel and said they had a floating feel for being to wide on that narrow rim, but the N78-15's seemed to work well on the 15X6.

we use to run buckshot's and gumbo mudder's year ago, these were both great tires for "GAWJA" RED CLAY, they were self cleaning for sure, but like the oldtimer's always said if they don't roar they wont pull..............

X453 for being great in mud, loud, wear fast and ice scates on rain or snow. Oh and bias are like riding on eggs anytime the temps drop until they warm up. Lotta memories and miles with those.

I ran p78/15 for years and still would run them now, except the q78/15 bias plys were not available
at the time of my upgrade & I did not want the radial crap. I've won a lot of mud runs & obstcale courses w/them. Excellent in the mud decent all around except on wet/snowy roads. On real loose gravel/sand we used to call them grave diggers, they will sink you up to the frame in a heartbeat. Ref my avatar!! Had them on stk wheels & 7" wide rims and found you could air down to around 10-12psi w/o fear of blowing the bead. Sidewalls are stiff, & dirt would periodically get trapped between the bead and the rim and leak.

Gumbos a had the same tread design but did not perform near as well, same w/the similar 34" skinny super swamper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom