Have you ever wondered……? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kayaker

SILVER Star
Threads
Have you ever wondered at what speed your unfastened FJ40 hood will gain sufficient lift to fly up and hit your roof? Well no need for you to run your own experiment. It’s 54 mph.

71839431475__75254202-16BA-46FE-8143-7A26E35DFAB2.jpeg

IMG_7121.jpeg

In my experimentation several decades ago I found it took much less speed.

Perhaps there are more variables. 😳

Have you ever wondered at what speed your unfastened FJ40 hood will gain sufficient lift to fly up and hit your roof? Well no need for you to run your own experiment. It’s 54 mph.

View attachment 3450723

View attachment 3450724
I was moving from Vermont to Montana with my girlfriend. I was driving the forty in stock form and she was driving a 4 cylinder Isuzu Trooper. Neither of us were breaking 60mph. Stopped for gas(again), pulled out in the interstate and right about the time I hit top speed(54?)- I can’t see!! I had checked the oil and forgotten the hold downs. Semi trailers were flying by and honking their horns as I negotiated my way to the shoulder with limited visibility.

The dents were kinda repaired on the recent repaint, but I know they are there…. Still haven’t fixed the roof.

I have considered a secondary hood latch mod. I believe the later models had it. Would’ve saved me from changing my shorts.

I am terrible about this, my truck does have the secondary latch but still.

What I am worse at doing is setting something on one of the various flat surfaces (tools, drinks, parts) and driving off.

For us old forgetful folks, without secondary safety catches, it is too bad that there isn't a big red "idiot" light with an obnoxious super loud buzzer or better yet a recording that says: "Hey stupid, you need to fasten your hood latches!" :)
I have rifle cases on the cab of my tundra for chains, jumper cables etc…

I’ve lost too many tarps from leaving one of them open that I had a pilot friend snag me a “remove before flight” tag that I hang from my steering wheel any time I open one of those cases.

72 model the hood was one piece hood which is lighter that the previous two piece and more prone to flying open. That was 9/72. 11/73 the secondary safety latch was added. Here is my 2/73 which I bought as a future project back in 1994. It came this way.
IMG_20200505_165617064_HDR.jpg

I left the latches loose on my 68 once. Remember it lifting a inch and dropping. Pulled over and hooked the latches. Pretty sure I had already added one inch of duct insulation which makes the hood even a little heavier. I show 8/76 a change for the hood. Not sure if the is when the flange was added to arch in the middle up front to stiffen the hood if that help or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom