Which Thule or Yakima rack towers for FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jesus888

SILVER Star
Threads
I need to get some roof rack bars/towers on my FJ62. I see lots of great and cool racks on here, and while it's tempting, I think for now, the only need I have is 3-4 crossbars using the gutters. I mainly will be throwing a kayak/canoo or our cargo box on top of the 62 and some simple bars will do just fine for now.

Most of the new stuff (from Yakima or Thule) is either out of stock or the newest $$$ version... I'm trying to piece together a cost-effective option by keeping an eye out on craigslist and ebay for older alternatives...

Also a side note/question, what length bars does everyone suggest... doesn't need to be oversized, but correct fitment would be great...

Cheers!

Yakima 1a (raingutter towers) I'm not sure what the roof width of a 62 is, but it can't be that different from an 80? 62" load bars maybe? If you want them inside the width of the roof, that will require some measuring.

I need to get some roof rack bars/towers on my FJ62. I see lots of great and cool racks on here, and while it's tempting, I think for now, the only need I have is 3-4 crossbars using the gutters. I mainly will be throwing a kayak/canoo or our cargo box on top of the 62 and some simple bars will do just fine for now.

Most of the new stuff (from Yakima or Thule) is either out of stock or the newest $$$ version... I'm trying to piece together a cost-effective option by keeping an eye out on craigslist and ebay for older alternatives...

Also a side note/question, what length bars does everyone suggest... doesn't need to be oversized, but correct fitment would be great...

Cheers!

i've been running Qty-3 65" thule square bars on custom rain gutter mounts (from landcruiser nw) and have been generally happy with it...but I have deposit down for a gamiviti platform.

From thule web site
"The Thule Square Load Bars are made of heavy-duty galvanized steel and plastic-coated to resist corrosion. Available in 4 lengths, 50",58",65"and 78." "

the 62 roof is roughly 54 inches across...so the 58" or 65" bars are just long enough to extend a little bit beyond the edge of the rain gutter.

watch Tim's video (from gamiviti) on how to install a rack on a 60... even if you're not buying a fancy rack...he's got great tips that are worth following for any rack kit

IMG_2038.jpeg

Last edited:
i've been running Qty-3 65" thule square bars on custom rain gutter mounts (from landcruiser nw) and have been generally happy with it...but I have deposit down for a gamiviti platform.

From thule web site
"The Thule Square Load Bars are made of heavy-duty galvanized steel and plastic-coated to resist corrosion. Available in 4 lengths, 50",58",65"and 78." "

the 62 roof is roughly 54 inches across...so the 58" or 65" bars are just long enough to extend a little bit beyond the edge of the rain gutter.

watch Tim's video (from gamiviti) on how to install a rack on a 60... even if you're not buying a fancy rack...he's got great tips that are worth following for any rack kit

View attachment 3016411

Thanks man!

How wide are they? And I'm in Atlanta...

65" bars
pdx to atl - maybe not worth the freight cost? you can get 2 new ones delivered from amazon for $140.00

i could let all 3 go for $100.00 UPS ground might be another $20 or $30?

PM me if you want em.

65" bars
pdx to atl - maybe not worth the freight cost? you can get 2 new ones delivered from amazon for $140.00

i could let all 3 go for $100.00 UPS ground might be another $20 or $30?

PM me if you want em.
Yeah that's far... I may have a beat on some local for $45/pair... I'm not in a rush so may just look for deals around her but THANK YOU for checking...

There are some new/used rack retailers cropping up. Do you have any of those near you? Rerack is one that seems to be in Renton and Portland only. Rack N Road is another that may have more stores (not just Wa and Or)

Yakima 1A gutter clamps and crossbars either L 66" or XL 78" will work well. You only need a pair of crossbars, adding more is unnecessary overkill. I've used the Yakima racks for decades and just under a gajillion miles on 40, 60s, and 80. The 66" crossbar will hold one canoe, the 78" two.

IMG_2318.JPG
IMG_6328.JPG

Yakima 1A gutter clamps and crossbars either L 66" or XL 78" will work well. You only need a pair of crossbars, adding more is unnecessary overkill. I've used the Yakima racks for decades and just under a gajillion miles on 40, 60s, and 80. The 66" crossbar will hold one canoe, the 78" two.

View attachment 3016997View attachment 3017000
Great info and thank you. What part of Alabama are you in @Godwin ? Because I feel like most threads I surf through have at least 1-2 replies by you… you obv know your stuff 🤣 and I’m just across the border in Atlanta… and I grew up in Anniston…

Great info and thank you. What part of Alabama are you in @Godwin ? Because I feel like most threads I surf through have at least 1-2 replies by you… you obv know your stuff 🤣 and I’m just across the border in Atlanta… and I grew up in Anniston…

I'm in Tallassee. I'd take Anniston over Atlanta any day :lol:

This is my Thule roof rack. I love it, it’s gutter mounted, the PO put it on. The only problem with it, is it will grab tree branches and gets in the way with the shrubbery when off-roading. The only other thing that is lame is that you can only hold down large objects with straps because it’s not a basket. The best thing I can put up there are my paddle boards.

95BAC60D-625C-4DA2-A176-21D6A7830173.jpeg

This is my Thule roof rack. I love it, it’s gutter mounted, the PO put it on. The only problem with it, is it will grab tree branches and gets in the way with the shrubbery when off-roading. The only other thing that is lame is that you can only hold down large objects with straps because it’s not a basket. The best thing I can put up there are my paddle boards.

View attachment 3017692
How wide/long are your bars? Do you know?

I believe the Thule feet numbers are #300, 387, or 953 for low, medium, and super high heights.

Yakima rates (as I'm sure Thule does) their "feet" and bars separately for load rating. As in a qtower and a given length cross bar might have a different rating that a 1A tower with the same length bar. That being said, I've had 1k on the roof of my Tundra with 4 qtowers and load bars on the cab, and some Thule bars on top of the canopy.
I was half expecting the canopy (topper) to fail.

So I took a chance and bought a set of pre owned Thule mounting towers model # 300/1050 and they will work on a 60 series. I found the bars used as well. I set everything up today and they mounted up perfectly on my rig. I wanted to share the information in case anyone else is looking for some mounting towers/ rails but unsure of the model numbers.

E3D93A43-9C27-4937-9931-5B5332CC033D.jpeg

So I took a chance and bought a set of pre owned Thule mounting towers model # 300/1050 and they will work on a 60 series. I found the bars used as well. I set everything up today and they mounted up perfectly on my rig. I wanted to share the information in case anyone else is looking for some mounting towers/ rails but unsure of the model numbers.

View attachment 3023555
Sorry for not replying. I don’t know anything about my Thule roof rack.

View attachment 3016997View attachment 3017000

Also, you didn't factor in the "look" factor in the overkill with 3-4 bars :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom