Which Rim width 8" or 10" ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.phxds.com
I just ordered 5 37x12.5x17" krawlers and I am going to be getting 5 beadlock rims from allied. Thier Monster style rim.
I cant decide which size rim to get. Ive serched all over the boards and i cannot find enough info to decide weather or not to get a set of 8" or the 10"
Since im buying 5, thats a lotta money to throw down with out being able to actually mount each one on my 80 and see what the difference is.
Im looking to know what the pros and cons are of using an 8" vs 10".

I've got 39.5 IROK's on 17 x 9.5 Allied "Modified" steelies....looks damn sharp...

Also will be mounting up a set of 37 Pitbull Rockers on 17 x 9 Trailready steelies...should have pics later this week...

Walker Evans locks only come in 17 x 8.5...I believe Robby Gordon locks are all 17 x 8.5

IMO, stick with that....I personally like the looks of these two over the Allieds...for a 12.5 tire, 10" rim is too wide, even with the locks...

Woody,

Don't beadlocks add like .5-1" width when they are added to a rim? Would that explain the 8.5 and 9? Or are they doing these sizes on purpose?

At one time I had a set of 15x9s that I ran 12.50s on and I thought they were absolutely perfect.

Project,

You might want to check with Action Jackson. He had some wheels built in Colorado that were really nice. I think they were 17x9s.

If you are ordering rims from Allied, TR, etc, then the rim will arrive per their numbers....

adding the beadlock to your own existing rim adds the width, since most user-install setups keep the existing rim intact and add the ring to the outside.

My current rims are 15x10 and I have 33x12.5 R15's mounted on them. They feel very good.

Kalawang

My current wheelin' tires are 33x13.50-16 Super Swamper LTBs on 16x8 wheels. I have driven many (too many) road miles with them around 35 to 40 psi. Also wheeled with them at CMCC '05 at 15 psi with no problems.

In fact with a narrow wheel like this the tire protects the wheel very well. Another '80 owner at CMCC '05 was running the same size wheel with 34x10.50-16 SS LTBs and could not air down below 20psi without banging the snot out of his wheels on the trail rocks.

I would go with 8" wheels especially with bead locks. Lighter, cheaper and better protection from "rock rash" on your wheels.

Alright. well what kind of back spacing should i look in to..
Ive been told 3.75 but im wondering if I shouldent just go 3.5. that will give me an inch more over what I had for the inner fender (4.5bs on stock rim) plus. if i ever go wider ... i wont have to worry about spacers.

The maximum "no hit" combination with stock bumpstops and stock sheetmetal is a 305/70/16 on a stock wheel, which is 16x8 with zero degrees offset and 4.5 inches backsetting. Space the wheel out or move the backset out or widen the wheel and you WILL hit flares and inner fenders on the front in turns.
37 inch tires will rub unless you drop the bumpstops so low as to eliminate all compression.

Of course cut-to-fit is still an option. Bring plenty of blades.

Project FJ80 said:
I just ordered 5 37x12.5x17" krawlers and I am going to be getting 5 beadlock rims from allied. Thier Monster style rim.
I cant decide which size rim to get. Ive serched all over the boards and i cannot find enough info to decide weather or not to get a set of 8" or the 10"
Since im buying 5, thats a lotta money to throw down with out being able to actually mount each one on my 80 and see what the difference is.
Im looking to know what the pros and cons are of using an 8" vs 10".

Project,

I hate to be going out on a limb here and I maybe wrong but I have to ask. . .

Why are you getting bead locks if you do not understand 8" vs. 10" and wheel offset relative to your rig? I maybe wrong on this and you may have years of wheeling experience but with 3 post on this board and no rig description i.e.: 6", custom coil over 3 link front kind of stuff, it's hard to tell you what would be best for your application. And hey I’m a big supporter for being different and trying something new. Just looking to get a feel as to why you want custom bead locks, seems a bit out of your element. With proper tire size, rim choice and psi you really shouldn't blow beads, unless you want to run 3 to 5 psi, or you’re going for the bling effect?

-Matt

I know someone who just won a free set of Krawlers at an event over the 4th....

there are times you make your gifts fit :D

No, I havent posted much, but I have been reading and reserching. I didnt want to post something thats already been talked about, but I couldent find anything that help me answer my question.I also never had a question like this because ive never done anything major to my rig.
I have a 1996 fj80 stock. factory F&R lockers, only thing i have had probles with is height.
I also have a Taco. wheels fine too.
So., I decided to take the big plunge and go big on the 80.
I have a 6" slee lift comming in, the 37" krawlers, allieds' Monster beadlock rims, a safari snorkel, true speed, front arb bumper, warn 1200 winch, hi-lift jacks .. etc.. the list goes on . this is all comming this month... so i should have it done by the end of the month or beggining of next.
Im a Diesel mechanic, so instalation is not a problem for me.
I have quite a few years of driving experance behind me... for my age.. 5 off road and about 3-5 on the 4x4 roads. But that means nothing if your not paying attention to everything... even people with 20+ years 4 wheeling can flip a rig or take the wrong line.
... But.. to answer your question about widths and bs... no.. Ive never been down that path before.. and I have ran serches, on this bord and others... and I still dont fully understand which path to take. The narror or the wider ... Yes both have diferences.. and I slowly come to find out what all they mey be. I think I will end up going with the wider rim. why?, Because IMO i think ill have greater stability with the 6" lift. my second stage of mods will include a 2-3" body lift, The 10" rims will help out even more to stable the rig. Ill get longer life out of the tires I buy because of the even contact patch. The 8" will ride more on the middle portion of the tire creating premature wear of the tire. If I decide I dont like the Krawelrs, or I just want a bigger/wider tire, I can alys go with Interco and get a 39-44x13-15" tire. I know this means more mods and cutting... but if it rids good and looks good.
Im not going to only rock climb.. I just want to beable to take what ever is out there on the trail... and plan to take my rig down south (futher south than Mexico) and I just want to beable to come back with my 80 with out having to leave it ddown there for parts.
It wil be used for about... 75 trails 25% roads. I have a work truck for my DD.
... Im getting bead locks because I have lost beads on my trucks before,... and i dont like having to change the tire cause i have no air to fill them with (to pop the bead back on)
Will I use them all the time... probably not... but its not when you dont need them... its when you do, that you wish you had them.
Im just trying to learn what it is I dont know about.. and what I may not under stand. Sinch I have never had anything more than stock tires and stock rims.. I dont know all of the pros and cons of goin wider.. and the back spacing parts. And since this is a landcruiser site.. I figured this would be the best place to get that information. There are already people here on this board that have these types of mods. So i was hoping for some feedback or info on what all would work .. and what all wont.
But you are right Matt.. it might have helped if I put in more of my rigs info down.

-Ron

Project FJ80 said:
No, I havent posted much, but I have been reading and reserching. I didnt want to post something thats already been talked about, but I couldent find anything that help me answer my question.I also never had a question like this because ive never done anything major to my rig.
I have a 1996 fj80 stock. factory F&R lockers, only thing i have had probles with is height.
I also have a Taco. wheels fine too.
So., I decided to take the big plunge and go big on the 80.
I have a 6" slee lift comming in, the 37" krawlers, allieds' Monster beadlock rims, a safari snorkel, true speed, front arb bumper, warn 1200 winch, hi-lift jacks .. etc.. the list goes on . this is all comming this month... so i should have it done by the end of the month or beggining of next.
Im a Diesel mechanic, so instalation is not a problem for me.
I have quite a few years of driving experance behind me... for my age.. 5 off road and about 3-5 on the 4x4 roads. But that means nothing if your not paying attention to everything... even people with 20+ years 4 wheeling can flip a rig or take the wrong line.
... But.. to answer your question about widths and bs... no.. Ive never been down that path before.. and I have ran serches, on this bord and others... and I still dont fully understand which path to take. The narror or the wider ... Yes both have diferences.. and I slowly come to find out what all they mey be. I think I will end up going with the wider rim. why?, Because IMO i think ill have greater stability with the 6" lift. my second stage of mods will include a 2-3" body lift, The 10" rims will help out even more to stable the rig. Ill get longer life out of the tires I buy because of the even contact patch. The 8" will ride more on the middle portion of the tire creating premature wear of the tire. If I decide I dont like the Krawelrs, or I just want a bigger/wider tire, I can alys go with Interco and get a 39-44x13-15" tire. I know this means more mods and cutting... but if it rids good and looks good.
Im not going to only rock climb.. I just want to beable to take what ever is out there on the trail... and plan to take my rig down south (futher south than Mexico) and I just want to beable to come back with my 80 with out having to leave it ddown there for parts.
It wil be used for about... 75 trails 25% roads. I have a work truck for my DD.
... Im getting bead locks because I have lost beads on my trucks before,... and i dont like having to change the tire cause i have no air to fill them with (to pop the bead back on)
Will I use them all the time... probably not... but its not when you dont need them... its when you do, that you wish you had them.
Im just trying to learn what it is I dont know about.. and what I may not under stand. Sinch I have never had anything more than stock tires and stock rims.. I dont know all of the pros and cons of goin wider.. and the back spacing parts. And since this is a landcruiser site.. I figured this would be the best place to get that information. There are already people here on this board that have these types of mods. So i was hoping for some feedback or info on what all would work .. and what all wont.
But you are right Matt.. it might have helped if I put in more of my rigs info down.

-Ron

Ron,

I hope I didn't come across as "jumping" on ya.... I just wanted to understand what you were going for. Today there is a bead lock craze if you will; lot's of look a like bead lock wheels out there. And when questions on back space and width came up, I worried for you that this might not be what you’re looking for. Custom wheels are a big investment that should last a long time, if you choose your ducks wisely. Thanks for the rig info, seems that it will be one HC rig, post up pic's when she's done, I'm in So Cal, and I know a few of us here would want to hook up with ya sometime in the future and put her threw the paces.

Good Luck and Welcome!

-Matt

I run 37x12.5x15 MTRs wirh 8" Allied beadlocks. 15" rim instead of 17" because of availablilty and price.

I can tell you that on an FJ40, 12psi is the point htat the tires start to act like they are aired down.

No no ... no dont worry about it. :cool:
I understand your concern... Its not every day that you just go out and buy new beadlock rims (at least not for the avarage joe) I also know what you mean by the beadlock market out there... thats why I decided to go with a set of wheels from Allied. After looking at all of them (and theres a lot that are fake and $$$) hearing what everyone says about them ... and talking to people about them.. I decided on Allieds' Monster wheels.
Ive decided to go with a 10" width rim, but as far as bs goes... im stuck on that... ive been told that 3.75 is good... but im wondering if i should go 3.5 which would give me that extra bit of space inbetween.
I just dont want to have to go out and buy spacers because I didnt get enough bs ... but.. i don twant to have to much because then ill be replacing bearings, bushings seals and birfields all the time. so where as my stock is 4.5" on an 8"
a 10" with 3.5 will give me 3" out futher.
Cal Sounds good. Id like to see what all she can do after shes all togeather. what part of southern Cal are you in. I have family in Hemit.

3.5 is a VERY common backspacing...I have 2 sets of beadlocks in that :D

I'd wager a little wait time will find someone locally that you can do a test fit and see what works....and GM/Toyota with that backspacing will work for test purposes.

Project FJ80 said:
It wil be used for about... 75[%] trails 25% roads. I have a work truck for my DD.

Are these style bead lock wheels legal for on road use?

Have you considered the Staun Internal Bead Locks?

http://www.staunproducts.com/

There is also this option

http://www.usa6x6.com

GEN 3" Civilian Double beadlocks under products

-Matt

Last edited:
No, the ones im getting are not legal, but im gonna run em anyways. :D
have to get to the desert somehow.. and shes not a trailer queen.
I have looked into the staun beadlocks... Though... im not quite sold on them yet... also ive herd they dont yet have one for a 17x10" rim. though i could be wrong.
The dbl beadlocks... are tempting... but I dont know if that would be over kill for what Ill do.

Project FJ80 said:
No, the ones im getting are not legal, but im gonna run em anyways. :D
have to get to the desert somehow.. and shes not a trailer queen.
I have looked into the staun beadlocks... Though... im not quite sold on them yet... also ive herd they dont yet have one for a 17x10" rim. though i could be wrong.
The dbl beadlocks... are tempting... but I dont know if that would be over kill for what Ill do.

Hate to tell ya but all the wheels I’ve bent and blown beads have been on the inside bead.... A standard bead lock is on the outer edge. I wouldn't look at it as an over kill so much as a street legal, double bead lock. And what you talking about "over kill" with the list of Mods you've got... It's basically a sprint car wheel, or and old school big rig wheel. Split down the center, with a run flat.

And for the cost, why not?

-Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom