Wheel/Rim Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, this is my first post on here, recent purchase of a pure stock 1997 LX450. I am beginning the process of building this truck, one of the things I want to do is run 37" tires and the stock wheels limit choices. I was looking at buying a set of wheels/rims(SCS) and wanted to ask which of these specs would work best on this truck. I have researched this a lot and thought these 2 options might work. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.....By the way, I am a Toyota guy from 1980's on, owned dang near every model offered, including a 1991 LC 25 years ago. Always wanted another one and here I go....lol

17 X 8.56 X 139.74.30"-10mm21 lb 11 oz
17 X 96 X 139.73.50"-38mm22 lb 9 oz

The 3 1/2 backspace would be my choice. I run a set of 105 series Methods

So, would this one be closer to stock wheel positioning and most likely clear better?
17 X 8.56 X 139.74.30"-10mm

You want the 3.5” bs to run 37’s and keep them off the frame and front suspension links.

You want the 3.5” bs to run 37’s and keep them off the frame and front suspension links.
Okay thanks..... so many different thoughts on this throughout the many threads, a bit confusing for an old fart like me.

Okay thanks..... so many different thoughts on this throughout the many threads, a bit confusing for an old fart like me.
I’m an old fart too. There are opinions galore for sure. When I ran 37’s on stock wheels I had to install 1” wheel spacers making for a 3.5” bs. I now run 37’s on 17x8.5 with 3.5” and no spacer. The shape of your tire is a big part of the equation involving the ability of the tire to stuff up and into the fender well under compression. We can lower the bump stops as far as necessary to keep tires off the sheet metal but the idea is to maintain as much up travel as possible. And there is always fender trimming but that’s not for everyone.

A tire with a roundish shoulder fits up into the rounded fender wells best but there aren’t many tires made that shape anymore. Three that come to mind are the super swamper trXus (a favorite of mine), the IROCK , and Milestar Patagonia.

Im running a 37x14.5 SXIIs on my Methods and 2" springs. Havent done any bumpstop changes, I am running the @eimkeith RAMs and they tuck without rubbing. Ive posted a few pics of it on here.

Im running a 37x14.5 SXIIs on my Methods and 2" springs. Havent done any bumpstop changes, I am running the @eimkeith RAMs and they tuck without rubbing. Ive posted a few pics of it on here.
Post some pics here.

IMG_3591.jpeg
IMG_3214.jpeg
IMG_7066.jpeg

So the Method 105 comes in 2 flavors....... (0mm / 4.75" BS) & (-38mm / 3.5" BS) ....If I understand this correctly that would give the 4.75" a 4.75" effective BS, and the other would be 3.5" bs minus 38MM(-1.5") to end up at only 2" BS. Are you guys using the -38 / 3.5" version? Am I confused here?

So the Method 105 comes in 2 flavors....... (0mm / 4.75" BS) & (-38mm / 3.5" BS) ....If I understand this correctly that would give the 4.75" a 4.75" effective BS, and the other would be 3.5" bs minus 38MM(-1.5") to end up at only 2" BS. Are you guys using the -38 / 3.5" version? Am I confused here?
3.5 is the actual BS. The -38mm is just the distance from rim center point to the mounting surface.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom