which is easier? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

airon23 said:
to throw in a chevy 350 with corresponding tranny and also running gear, or rebuild the 2f and leave the running gear as is?

which is better performance wise?

Uh-oh, can of worms.

Depends. I think rebuilding the 2F woudl be the easiest. No adapters, hoses, wiring issues. I also like the 2Fs performance more just because I do. I like its throttle response in L and its willingness to run way down in the RPM band.

Ask Shawn next week. He swapped the 2f out for a TBI V8 on his sixty. If you ask nice he might let you drive his so you can see the difference.

airon23 said:
thanks rusty. what are you doing here in the 60 area? Do you have a 60 or just like running all over the place on mud?
Trying to broaden my horizions. :D

PabloCruise said:
I don't think you can just "throw in" GM components...

A good swap will cost you ~$10k.

Lots of nickles and dimes on those brackets...
That sounds high.
I guess it depends on how much you get with the donar engine and how much stuff you do your self.

airon23 said:
considering most of it would be done by ourselves. but then you have to factor in the time this will take with us working on it. Prolly be out for like a whole year the way we get around to things.
Speaking of which, when are you going to get your 40 running?

You know, if you are going to do it yourself then it may end up being about the same amount of work. Depending on whether or not you do you rebuild. The 350 swap is easy enough that its worth the consideration at least. Either way you are not getting out of pulling the engine and all the mess that goes with that.
If you rebuild the 2F yourself count that in too. But if the 350 is ready to go, then you will spend that time instead on doing the adapters, exhaust, cooling and all that....

rusty_tlc said:
Trying to broaden my horizions. :D
Good boy ;)

It all depends on what you want out of the rig, what you are going to use it for, how much you want to spend and how good you are at fabrication.

The 2F is a simple rebuild.

the 350 is a lot more work fabbin, DS mods, decisions on what tranny/tcase axles to run. The problem with a 350 is it is VERY easy to get into a domino effect. or MIB (more is better)

Mace said:
Good boy ;)

It all depends on what you want out of the rig, what you are going to use it for, how much you want to spend and how good you are at fabrication.

The 2F is a simple rebuild.

the 350 is a lot more work fabbin, DS mods, decisions on what tranny/tcase axles to run. The problem with a 350 is it is VERY easy to get into a domino effect. or MIB (more is better)
Thanks Pops :rolleyes:

:D
:D

see we have a 98or 99 yukon complete engine and tranny among other things and I am just worried about getting into the swap and finding out it isn't worth what needs to happen to make it work. It is fuel injected and I've heard some horror stories about getting the computer and stuff to work properly. :confused:

airon23 said:
see we have a 98or 99 yukon complete engine and tranny among other things and I am just worried about getting into the swap and finding out it isn't worth what needs to happen to make it work. It is fuel injected and I've heard some horror stories about getting the computer and stuff to work properly. :confused:

Well in that case the 2F will be easier to deal with.

But that doesnt matter really, if the time and expense is worth the perfomance gain you would get.

If you are concerned about what you "have heard" about TBI swaps then it probably is not the best setup for you to try to tackle.

Yep, and you did not even notice that I mentioned TBI and the 99 Yukon is certainly not TBI...

:flipoff2:

Go read a lot about motor swaps and Fuel Injection then decide if you want to tackle one ;)

I find that people often compare the cost and effort of doing a complete rebuild on a 2F to finding a mystery V8 in the junkyard. If you're going to put a rebuilt engine in the truck, the effort to rebuild a V8 is similar to a 2F. To modify the mounts, driveline, ignition, cooling, exhaust, and electronics to suit a V8 is more work. Its more power but more work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom