Which engine? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rideglobally

Nullacruiser
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
I have a 12ht engine with Gturbo and H55 transmission on my 1983 HJ47 that I am using for extended overland travels. Currently in Africa. It is heavy 10,000 pounds fully loaded. I am happy with the simplicity and reliability of my 12ht but I am thinking of an engine swap because of the need for more power. Which engine would you recommend 1HDT, 1HDFT, 1HDFTE? Reliability and simplicity is still important to me. I know there are similar thread out there but i did not want to hijack them. Thank you.🙏🏽

5E68CABB-ED6D-4508-A25A-DCBF59A7D96C.jpeg

None you mention will have the power you want IMHO. You need serious torque for that weight. May need to think beyond Toyota. There is a guy on YouTube that put a caterpillar diesel engine in a 45. That’s what you need.

Last edited:
Thats heavy, I have a FTE and 5spd auto in a car weighing 1200kg less, towing my 1500kg carvan its acceptable. But if I had it has a daily pushing that vehicle weight only I would want significantly more power/torque. Thinking beyond the twin turbo v8 and 6spd. Must be painful with a 12HT.

None you mention will have the power you want IMHO. You need serious torque for that weight. May need to think beyond Toyota. There is a guy on YouTube that put a caterpillar diesel engine in a 45. That’s what you need.
The gears are reduce so I get the torque. I really want to stay with the Toyota choice of engine. We been many places that requires hi torque and we have not had issues.thx

Thats heavy, I have a FTE and 5spd auto in a car weighing 1200kg less, towing my 1500kg carvan its acceptable. But if I had it has a daily pushing that vehicle weight only I would want significantly more power/torque. Thinking beyond the twin turbo v8 and 6spd. Must be painful with a 12HT.
As I said earlier we have traveled many places we have not had any issues when it come to torque, the 12ht is handling well. I would like to stay with the Toyota choice of engine. Twin turbo would add complications I don't need for the kind of traveling I do. thx

Looks like your preferences will limit you. Can’t have it all….simple and powerful. Pick one.

Looks like your preferences will limit you. Can’t have it all….simple and powerful. Pick one.
I think I can get more power and still stay relatively simple.

Engine bay will limit you. Only other bigger engine that is Toyota diesel is the VDJ. It won’t fit in your engine bay.

Engine bay will limit you. Only other bigger engine that is Toyota diesel is the VDJ. It won’t fit in your engine bay.
I want to stay with this choice of engines which one do you this is best? 1HDT, 1HDFT, 1HDFTE

FTE is not simple. Has ECU. Others don’t. Research online for power differences between HDT and HDTF.

Towing 10000 pounds is f250 dually territory as frame of reference.

FTE is not simple. Has ECU. Others don’t. Research online for power differences between HDT and HDTF.

Towing 10000 pounds is f250 dually territory as frame of reference.
ok thx

here is what I found:

• 12H-T = 4.0L, 134hp @ 3500, 232ft-lb @ 1800

• 1HZ = 4.2L, 129hp @ 3800, 210ft-lb @ 2200

• 1HD-T = 4.2L, 162hp @ 3600, 276ft-lb @ 1400

• 1HD-FT = 4.2L, 164hp @ 3400, 280ft-lb@ 1400

• 1HD-FTE (intercooled) = 4.2L, 202hp @ 3400, 317ft-lb@ 1400

My choice will be between 1HD-FT or 1HD-FTE maybe with the H151F transmission. Does anyone have done this conversion on an HJ47?

What a beast! thats quite the truck there

@crushers just announced a kit for doing 1HZ/1HD into a 40 series. That may be of interest to you. He’s in (western?) Canada and you’re currently in Africa. Logistics might be tough, but at least it’s a frame of reference.

FTE - with new pump, +70 injectors, unichip and Gturbo/UFI it’ll easily put out 400hp at the wheels and 740 ft-lbs+. It’s simple compared to new engines especially when stripped down to the bare essentials. FT is the next down but won’t be able to come close on terms of power. Don’t even consider a T.

But 6BT is probably worth thinking about

Some folks may think I am full of bs but I met an engine builder recently with over 6000 builds under his belt. He reckons he can get more from a hz with a custom turned up pump and turbo from a hz than what is possible from a hd, probably hd-t. He prefers the hz over the hd. MS engine reconditioners on facebook in Melbourne, Oz. Really nice fella, loves sharing his knowledge, shall die with a spanner in his hand.

On the other hand, there are some super duper injectors for the hd which can deliver 400hp or something, as wedgie pointed out. Aussiehjcruza on here loves his hd. Maybe he shall chime in. But , personally I reckon electronic injection would always be more finicky upon fuel. Let alone ecu's and stuff..

From what I know of the difference of the hz it is more suited for the locations you travel. It is well known a hz would get a million kms, but have not heard of the hd getting a million kms.?

My two bob for toyota engines for you..lots would say cummins 6bt, it is pretty legendary.

Last edited:
1HDT

The simplest of all you propose

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom