Which 70 series for family hauler? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, looking for some advice. Normally I float around the 60 series section but looking for advice on a 70 series.

I am currently in Japan, we will be returning back to the USA next year. My wife and I were discussing car purchases back in the USA when we return. The used market is horrible stateside, and she brought up the idea of purchasing a used land cruiser and bringing it back on uncle Sam’s dime. She really likes the classic boxy look of the 70 series and was wondering it would be able to do the job of family hauler for our 4 young children.

I know nothing really about 70 series, so I have come to the experts here for advice on which series, engine, etc would be best. It would need to be 1997 or older to be able to bring back.

Is the 70 series even a viable option? If so which engine would be best for maintenance back in the USA? We were looking at the 76 or 78 series with a third row. Any advice from folks running these rigs would be great.

Thanks.

The answer would depend greatly on what your expectations are. In my opinion, the 77 Series would make a good family hauler. I would assume the 76 Series is to new to import into the U.S.

The answer would depend greatly on what your expectations are. In my opinion, the 77 Series would make a good family hauler. I would assume the 76 Series is to new to import into the U.S.
Thanks for the input! Expectations are that it is safe and reliable (as a 25 year old cruiser can be) yet easy to have maintenance done back in the states. Maybe this isn’t possible since they all seem to be diesels.

Not looking to wheel it, basically looking for a fun yet cheaper family vehicle to have while the market settles down. I’ll check the 77!

Thanks for the input! Expectations are that it is safe and reliable (as a 25 year old cruiser can be) yet easy to have maintenance done back in the states. Maybe this isn’t possible since they all seem to be diesels.

Not looking to wheel it, basically looking for a fun yet cheaper family vehicle to have while the market settles down. I’ll check the 77!
P.M. sent

These are non-commensurate with each other: cheap, easy to maintain, and Land Cruiser.

I’d recommend an 80 series with 3 rows. A 2 row 77 will not accommodate 4 kids.

You need a real wagon. Or a Camry Station Wagon would be a better fit.

These are non-commensurate with each other: cheap, easy to maintain, and Land Cruiser.

Copy all! Guess I shoulda stopped at 2 kids :)

A quick search of auction prices does indeed show they still are not “cheap”. Even those which are not eligible for export yet.

I wouldn't use a 77 for a family hauler (esp for 4 kids) but @Blomdala could be best person to ask. He seems to be using one as such.

If you are not looking to wheel at all, then I would expand my options past the 70 series and even Land Cruisers in particular. Plenty of importable low km vans in Japan.

Copy all! Guess I shoulda stopped at 2 kids :)

A quick search of auction prices does indeed show they still are not “cheap”. Even those which are not eligible for export yet.

Can you just buy one off the used car lot in Japan?

I agree with Onur. You need an 80. And given that 80s were sold in the US, I'm not sure I would bother to import a RHD one. I lived in the UK for 7 years so have no issue per se with RHD but unless there is some additional novelty to the vehicle (e.g. was never sold in the US), you would be looking at a narrow resale market.

I wouldn't use a 77 for a family hauler (esp for 4 kids) but @Blomdala could be best person to ask. He seems to be using one as such.

If you are not looking to wheel at all, then I would expand my options past the 70 series and even Land Cruisers in particular. Plenty of importable low km vans in Japan.

Reading his thread now!

As @FJ73Texas pointed out, I have too many kids LOL. I have a 93' HZJ77, a 5 year old, a 4 year old and a 1.5 year old. We just did a long trip with a trailer as well. The 77 is awesome, and thankfully we are able to have another vehicle (a sienna) so I don't need this to be the sole child hauler. We use Diono car seats (the ones famous for being able to do 3 in a row in any vehicle due to narrowness) and its doable. The rear facing goes in the center and hangs between the two front seats, you have to twist the buckle receiver to "shorten" it or else the buckle head is right on the car seat curve to the point that it won't stay tight. If you have a bassinet style car seat with a detachable base that worked out better, but he outgrew it. All forward facing will be easier. I also toss the rear anchor around the back of the bench seat and then up under the attach back on the car seat to hold it down against the back of the seat.

We are having talks of #4 (I know I know) and I will need to work on getting a 78 prado seat into the rear to increase my capacity. But since its not primary, its not critical. My wife will probably love me and all kids gone so she can enjoy quiet time. She said I can never sell the cruiser as it reminds her of our time in Japan, so shes not worried about the fitment/comfort because she knows what it is and what it isn't.

There are definitely more comfortable vehicles, like an 80 or even a 78, but I was OK with the trade offs to get a 77. I would also consider a sweet 4x4 hiace to bring back, I love those things. So much fun. Or as others have said, an 80 is also larger and factory turbo which is nice. But I totally get it if not, 80s don't get me excited like a 70 does.

Form a sales side, even if you get a good 70 that you end up not liking, you will likely break even or make a slight profit to help with the next vehicle purchase anyways. Free shipping/ easier registration makes is far more enticing and sort of "no risk".

As @FJ73Texas pointed out, I have too many kids LOL. I have a 93' HZJ77, a 5 year old, a 4 year old and a 1.5 year old. We just did a long trip with a trailer as well. The 77 is awesome, and thankfully we are able to have another vehicle (a sienna) so I don't need this to be the sole child hauler. We use Diono car seats (the ones famous for being able to do 3 in a row in any vehicle due to narrowness) and its doable. The rear facing goes in the center and hangs between the two front seats, you have to twist the buckle receiver to "shorten" it or else the buckle head is right on the car seat curve to the point that it won't stay tight. If you have a bassinet style car seat with a detachable base that worked out better, but he outgrew it. All forward facing will be easier. I also toss the rear anchor around the back of the bench seat and then up under the attach back on the car seat to hold it down against the back of the seat.

We are having talks of #4 (I know I know) and I will need to work on getting a 78 prado seat into the rear to increase my capacity. But since its not primary, its not critical. My wife will probably love me and all kids gone so she can enjoy quiet time. She said I can never sell the cruiser as it reminds her of our time in Japan, so shes not worried about the fitment/comfort because she knows what it is and what it isn't.

There are definitely more comfortable vehicles, like an 80 or even a 78, but I was OK with the trade offs to get a 77. I would also consider a sweet 4x4 hiace to bring back, I love those things. So much fun. Or as others have said, an 80 is also larger and factory turbo which is nice. But I totally get it if not, 80s don't get me excited like a 70 does.

Form a sales side, even if you get a good 70 that you end up not liking, you will likely break even or make a slight profit to help with the next vehicle purchase anyways. Free shipping/ easier registration makes is far more enticing and sort of "no risk".

Funny, we just ordered our 3rd diono seat for the same purpose :D

Some great info here. Gun Runner was really helpful in his PM. I would like the HZ engine, but alas doesn't look like it would happen without retrofitting the third row from a 78.

As for the 80's, I drove a gasser at school. My wife (and I) agree's they don't have the same "cool" factor of the 70 or 60 series although it may be more practical.

This whole talk of another cruiser came up in the last few days when researching the crazy used vehicles prices back in the states. So I though I would do some research before we leave Japan in attempt to find a family vehicle that is "cheaper" and will hold us over for the time being once we are back. We bought both our cars here for under 6k, though they are not land cruisers ha.

Funny, we just ordered our 3rd diono seat for the same purpose :D

Some great info here. Gun Runner was really helpful in his PM. I would like the HZ engine, but alas doesn't look like it would happen without retrofitting the third row from a 78.

As for the 80's, I drove a gasser at school. My wife (and I) agree's they don't have the same "cool" factor of the 70 or 60 series although it may be more practical.

This whole talk of another cruiser came up in the last few days when researching the crazy used vehicles prices back in the states. So I though I would do some research before we leave Japan in attempt to find a family vehicle that is "cheaper" and will hold us over for the time being once we are back. We bought both our cars here for under 6k, though they are not land cruisers ha.
I hear you on the cost of things, I bought a 2007 Vitz with 40k km on it for 3k. And a voxy for 3k. I couldn't believe how cheap it all was, especially since I can do my own repairs.

We dropped 19k on a sienna here LOL. But either way, importing a vehicle to keep or to resell is always a good choice!

Other than the fact that 70 series don't exist from stock with 3 forward facing rows to secure 4 kids, you should also note that on the security/safety point they are far from the best (as you mentioned this criteria).
Passive safety in case of crash: forget it, no crumble zone, no safe zone, etc.
Active safety to stay on the road: obviously no modern electronic safety, no airbag and not the vehicles the more stable on the road.

With all that taken into consideration, if you buy a FJ70 with rear side bench seats and put your 4 kids on them they will be the happiest and coolest kids, and will never want to leave the Cruiser 😎😅

With all that taken into consideration, if you buy a FJ70 with rear side bench seats and put your 4 kids on them they will be the happiest and coolest kids, and will never want to leave the Cruiser 😎😅
Just like this? My two nieces in the FJ73 I had....

seats3.JPG

Just like this? My two nieces in the FJ73 I had....

View attachment 2768799
Yup exactly

1617231608771-png.2632103

You can haul a lot of people in this configuration and for a kid the bench seats are confortable enough.
My father had bolted some small 4-points harness to keep us on the seat, was not that much for safety than avoiding to banged around in the bumps.

If you can import one free shipping/etc, I would do that. You can always sell it here and make a few bucks to help your quest.

I have 3 kids, and they spent a lot of time in an 80 series. It work alright for 3 kids, I'd imagine 4 would be a bit harder.

I too would suggest an HZJ77 and fitting a 3rd row from the LJ77/78 series. I don't know 100% but it shouldn't be too hard to get that mounted in there.

Are you going to have 2 vehicles or just one when you get back to the states?

Now I'll be that guy.
As someone who has daily driven and kid hauled in an FJ40, FJ55, 60, 62, 74, 80, 100 series...the best out of them all is my wifes 2015 Sienna limited....by far. :rofl:
I'm only mostly joking. I love land cruisers, but unless you are going 1 car only and need 4WD to camp and adventure, the sienna blows them away for daily kid hauling, room and comfort. It also has no soul. Like none, zero. Soulless chunk of comfortable and super safe metal. We are going to sell our sienna possibly soon because I have 1 kid in college, the next is a Sr. and then we will just have my 12yo son so we don't need that van anymore.

That said, I totally support getting an HZJ77 and putting 3rd row in. However, if you keep having kids, you might as well just get a troopy, they seat 13. :cool:

2021-08-25 10_26_19-Toyota Landcruiser HZJ78R TroopCarrier.pdf.png

I've brought up my two kids using my LJ78 as a daily driver. It's been fine, but I think would be too tight with three.

I do occasionally use the third row of seating when I have to haul more kids around, but really it's only appropriate for short trips. They don't fit infant/toddler car seats really, and are too small with not enough leg room even for small kids who've just moved on from car seats.

A Troopie with bus style seating would be pretty comfortable though. Check this out: Case Study - Toyota Land Cruiser Troop Carrier LC78 Series 7,8 and 9 Seater Mine Site Vehicle | Techsafe Automotive & Transport Seating Solutions - https://www.techsafeseating.com.au/case-study/resources/case-studyresourcescase-study-toyota-land-cruiser-troop-carrier-lc78-series-78-and-9-seater-mine-site-vehicle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom