Which 70 series for family hauler? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This actually brings up a very pertinent point for me. I need to find even just ONE fold down seat for my 76. There ARE some made for the newer models, but pricing one out in PARTS causes it to be around $1000US

Does anyone have a source for obtaining some second hand seats that I could frankenfit into the rear of my 76 series? I have three boys, and my GF has a daughter, which has suddenly thrown us into a situation where we do not have enough room to all fit in one vehicle.

*CAVEAT* - DO NOT MENTION SIENNA, MINIVAN or any other SOULLESS VEHICLE (as FJBEN so poignantly put it) :clap:

Any help on the 3rd row sources would be greatly appreciated!

There is also the extended HZJ76 made for the German mines with a back facing 3rd row : Extrem baut Land Cruiser HZJ76 Langversion – Buschtaxi.net - https://buschtaxi.org/extrem-baut-land-crusier-hzj76-langversion/

1629912007817.png

1629912016915.png

Talk about ugly...

FUGLY! 😅

But I could see potential written all over that machine for someone inclined to have a foldup back seat AND turn it into a camp/sleep type truck as well... 🤔

Yeah, the KZJ78 has the 3rd row, although the legroom is fairly minimal and it takes up most of the rear cargo space. You can (and I did) remove one of the seats to provide a bit more space for legs or gear. I love driving it and have taken 3 kids on some long rides, and maintenance has been relatively unchallenging to-date, although that is partially due to a great local shop.

Echoing the comments above, you're likely to make $$$ or break even if you bring in a 78 or a van like a HiAce and end up wanting to switch to something more modern. The HiAce is probably the direction I would go in for your needs and potential resale - 4x4, low miles, triple sunroofs and the mid-seat cool box go for a pretty penny (low to mid 20's), even in the meh beige/gold color scheme.

If you can import one free shipping/etc, I would do that. You can always sell it here and make a few bucks to help your quest.

I have 3 kids, and they spent a lot of time in an 80 series. It work alright for 3 kids, I'd imagine 4 would be a bit harder.

I too would suggest an HZJ77 and fitting a 3rd row from the LJ77/78 series. I don't know 100% but it shouldn't be too hard to get that mounted in there.

Are you going to have 2 vehicles or just one when you get back to the states?

Now I'll be that guy.
As someone who has daily driven and kid hauled in an FJ40, FJ55, 60, 62, 74, 80, 100 series...the best out of them all is my wifes 2015 Sienna limited....by far. :rofl:
I'm only mostly joking. I love land cruisers, but unless you are going 1 car only and need 4WD to camp and adventure, the sienna blows them away for daily kid hauling, room and comfort. It also has no soul. Like none, zero. Soulless chunk of comfortable and super safe metal. We are going to sell our sienna possibly soon because I have 1 kid in college, the next is a Sr. and then we will just have my 12yo son so we don't need that van anymore.

That said, I totally support getting an HZJ77 and putting 3rd row in. However, if you keep having kids, you might as well just get a troopy, they seat 13. :cool:

View attachment 2768861

Troopy for the win, and you can field a little league soccer team too:clap:

You need one of the Troopy ambulance conversions like @janyyc has with a third door! Agreed that the third row in the LJ/KZJ models is very tight, and really only suitable for short trips with small people. The 80-series, particularly the HDJ81, is in my opinion the best all-round 4x4 available. It's comfortable, very capable, and just big enough without being too big. If you could retrofit US-spec third row seating into one that would probably be your best bet.

@Rigster I don't know if the 76 is provisioned with anchor points for the third row seating, but a lot of Prado owners take theirs out and get rid of them. There's someone selling off a bunch of LJ78 parts in Coquitlam right now, they list rear seats in the ad: Toyota Prado Land Cruiser 1990 RHD 1990 Parts - auto parts - by owner - https://vancouver.craigslist.org/pml/pts/d/port-coquitlam-north-toyota-prado-land/7356454198.html

You need one of the Troopy ambulance conversions like @janyyc has with a third door! Agreed that the third row in the LJ/KZJ models is very tight, and really only suitable for short trips with small people. The 80-series, particularly the HDJ81, is in my opinion the best all-round 4x4 available. It's comfortable, very capable, and just big enough without being too big. If you could retrofit US-spec third row seating into one that would probably be your best bet.

@Rigster I don't know if the 76 is provisioned with anchor points for the third row seating, but a lot of Prado owners take theirs out and get rid of them. There's someone selling off a bunch of LJ78 parts in Coquitlam right now, they list rear seats in the ad: Toyota Prado Land Cruiser 1990 RHD 1990 Parts - auto parts - by owner - https://vancouver.craigslist.org/pml/pts/d/port-coquitlam-north-toyota-prado-land/7356454198.html
Hey thanks @AirheadNut , I would consider trying to mangfungle an LJ prado 3rd row seat if that is all I can find at a reasonable price. Ideally, I would like to find THESE:

foldown1.jpg

foldown2.jpg

These are specifically designed for the 76 series, and while I do not have the captive nuts on my LC due to the year (I think they started offering these in 2018????) the mount points should be accessible on the corner pillar and on the back. Plus the side facing seats fold up smaller, take up less space and provide more leg room than the forward facing seats...

Hey thanks @AirheadNut , I would consider trying to mangfungle an LJ prado 3rd row seat if that is all I can find at a reasonable price. Ideally, I would like to find THESE:

View attachment 2768977
View attachment 2768978

These are specifically designed for the 76 series, and while I do not have the captive nuts on my LC due to the year (I think they started offering these in 2018????) the mount points should be accessible on the corner pillar and on the back. Plus the side facing seats fold up smaller, take up less space and provide more leg room than the forward facing seats...
You can buy all these parts new, its a current option for 76s. I was thinking about doing that, but I think finding a prado seat would be easier. Maybe not. IF you find one and want to split it, I'm with you. I only need one side!

If you can import one free shipping/etc, I would do that. You can always sell it here and make a few bucks to help your quest.

I have 3 kids, and they spent a lot of time in an 80 series. It work alright for 3 kids, I'd imagine 4 would be a bit harder.

I too would suggest an HZJ77 and fitting a 3rd row from the LJ77/78 series. I don't know 100% but it shouldn't be too hard to get that mounted in there.

Are you going to have 2 vehicles or just one when you get back to the states?

Now I'll be that guy.
As someone who has daily driven and kid hauled in an FJ40, FJ55, 60, 62, 74, 80, 100 series...the best out of them all is my wifes 2015 Sienna limited....by far. :rofl:
I'm only mostly joking. I love land cruisers, but unless you are going 1 car only and need 4WD to camp and adventure, the sienna blows them away for daily kid hauling, room and comfort. It also has no soul. Like none, zero. Soulless chunk of comfortable and super safe metal. We are going to sell our sienna possibly soon because I have 1 kid in college, the next is a Sr. and then we will just have my 12yo son so we don't need that van anymore.

That said, I totally support getting an HZJ77 and putting 3rd row in. However, if you keep having kids, you might as well just get a troopy, they seat 13. :cool:

View attachment 2768861

People can/do say what they want about me in my sienna, but as I casually load a whole Costco cart worth of goods while my kids easily climb in and get buckled, adjust their air vents to cool them off, and I pull away getting low 20s mpg while watching some couple who wouldn't be caught DEAD in a VAN struggle to not ding their doors and help their kid into a cramped 4runner where they scuff up their seat backs and kick them while driving.... I feel completely satisfied with my Van and how utilitarian it is for daily life!

Luckily I'm able to have more than one vehicle so I also get to do the hard way with my 77, but its as needed by choice so its easier LOL.

You can buy all these parts new, its a current option for 76s. I was thinking about doing that, but I think finding a prado seat would be easier. Maybe not. IF you find one and want to split it, I'm with you. I only need one side!
Yeah, I hear you Blomsy, but like I stated earlier, buying the parts and putting it together (if you can find them available) comes to around $1000 for one seat! 🤯

So I am attempting to find a take off if at all possible. If I find a pair I will let you know and we can split it! 👍

I sometimes drive a minivan and like it for all the reasons you've stated. But I've noticed people drive around me quite differently. They'll often cut me off or do whatever they can to get in front of me at a stop light.... akin to a bus or Prius! I think if it was lifted, larger AT tires and bumpers, it might get some respect. ;)

I've looked at 4WD JDM vans before but the one issue was the sliding door would always be on the "street" side and thus dangerous for kids and such. But lately, I've noticed around 1996 (maybe earlier), the HIACE 4WD vans are available with optional RH sliding doors. So now, I'm casually looking again.

Last edited:
Rigster: you're in Vernon - did you check with Mustang Connection in Kamloops for used take-off Prado seats?

Rigster: you're in Vernon - did you check with Mustang Connection in Kamloops for used take-off Prado seats?
Huh, did not realize they had Land Cruiser parts.... will give them a call. Online they show just older cruisers though. And they also show they are in Armstrong. Is this the same place?

I've looked at 4WD JDM vans before but the one issue was the sliding door would always be on the "street" side and thus dangerous for kids and such. But lately, I've noticed around 1996 (maybe earlier), the HIACE 4WD vans are available with optional RH sliding doors. So now, I'm casually looking again.

The thought of which side the sliding door opens never occurred to me. I did a quick search of RH sliding door but didn't have anything show up.

I am getting off topic here, but bringing a vehicle back for resale is intriguing and to be honest has got me looking. There are quite a few dealers who go to auctions around base, and I have seen some post on facebook. Most Hiace's seem to be diesel, which runs me into the same conundrum of registering it here in Tokyo.

The 4x4 "super customs" look pretty rad and those in good shape seem to be selling for fairly cheap at auction.

Yeah, the KZJ78 has the 3rd row, although the legroom is fairly minimal and it takes up most of the rear cargo space. You can (and I did) remove one of the seats to provide a bit more space for legs or gear. I love driving it and have taken 3 kids on some long rides, and maintenance has been relatively unchallenging to-date, although that is partially due to a great local shop.

Ideally I would be able to find a 78 and throw the kids in the back and see how we all fit. I think you can only test drive cars if they have Shakken on it, so it would have to be road legal in order to do so.

The thought of which side the sliding door opens never occurred to me. I did a quick search of RH sliding door but didn't have anything show up.

I am getting off topic here, but bringing a vehicle back for resale is intriguing and to be honest has got me looking. There are quite a few dealers who go to auctions around base, and I have seen some post on facebook. Most Hiace's seem to be diesel, which runs me into the same conundrum of registering it here in Tokyo.

The 4x4 "super customs" look pretty rad and those in good shape seem to be selling for fairly cheap at auction.
I recall researching some of the 4x4 vans at one point and some of them had a sliding door on BOTH sides, but I am not sure now which ones? Maybe the Mitsubishi ones?

That might be an option... or a 70 series with 3rd row seats so you meet the criteria of having something "KEWL" :)

I recall researching some of the 4x4 vans at one point and some of them had a sliding door on BOTH sides, but I am not sure now which ones? Maybe the Mitsubishi ones?

That might be an option... or a 70 series with 3rd row seats so you meet the criteria of having something "KEWL" :)
Mitsubishi for sure and Toyota does too, can't remember years and models, but I saw heaps while living in New Zealand.

If I remember correctly, the LJ78 had “cutouts” in the floor that anchored the seats once they were lowered into position.
Does the 77 Series have those same anchors?
C19A97F9-2DAC-47FF-B0F5-31291631F41D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom