Wheeler Offroad "Superbumps" installed. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think I am also beginning to notice the front bumpstops (in the rear position :cool: ) do seem to counter the body roll in corners, wasn't really expecting this, so it's definitely a pleasant side effect!

I do have a 12.5K winch (Comeup 12.5Rs), single 100Ah battery which is maybe 25lbs heavier than stock so effectively 1.5 batteries :cool:.

I generally drive offroad/rough terrain at boringly low speed ( simply with the intent to extend the life of my ball joints, steering rack, and inner/outer TRE's). I installed the Timbrens (front end/rear end) more as an experiment to mitigate body roll vs a high speed damper.

I've had them for a few weeks. They are definitely noticeable to me. The arms don't rest on the bumps but they are pretty close. Any moderate dip in the road and I can tell they increase the spring rate giving a stiffer feel overall. This does help cornering but is a little too rough a ride for my taste. I have stock 98 torsion bars, dual batteries, front bumper and winch. With all that weight and just these bumps, I don't think I even need to install the IM torsion bars I have sitting in the garage. For anyone considering beefier TB's I'd say run these first and see if they'll do the job.

yea i noticed it too. it's more solid when hitting bumps. hard to explain the feeling

Anyone can confirm what size bolts the front bump stops use?
The front and rear use the same size bolts. Though I don't have an old one handy to measure thread size and pitch.

The front bump stops seem to be getting the same amount of engagement as the rear.

They seem to be wearing evenly for bump stops that get a lot of off-road use.

I like how they keep the wheel from tucking up into the fender well.

I do have extended travel shocks with 24.75" of droop. For the type of off-roading that I do, I would rather have extended droop than up travel. It does handle well on winding mountain roads.

1631460576357.png

Last edited:
M10 1.25. The rear bump stops require ~25mm length bolt or the bolt hits hit the frame ( I had to cut some longer bolts down) and won’t be snug. Fronts are fine with 30+. My application was energy bumpstops but I imagine the design is similar.

The front bump stops seem to be getting the same amount of engagement as the rear.

I do have extended travel shocks with 24.75" of droop. For the type of off-roading that I do, I would rather have extended droop than up travel. It does handle well on winding mountain roads.

View attachment 2784478
I'm sure it's buried in one of these threads, but are you still running sway bars front and rear in conjunction with these bumps?

I'm sure it's buried in one of these threads, but are you still running sway bars front and rear in conjunction with these bumps?

Yes. LX470 type.

Yessir, stock AHC, stock sway bars with these bumps.

Well look what just arrived. Did the collective ever come to the consensus on whether I install the front bumps in the forward or rear position? I have a feeling I might need these in October at the COTR II. Thanks mucho!

I don't think it matters. Having not read the instructions on my timbren fronts, I installed on the forward position. Its been a few years and haven't noticed any issue. Later asked and JT told me on the Timbrens was to install on the rear position. Prob same holds true with these wheelers. I can see that limiting the bottoming out from the rear position might reduce some stress where the torsion bar mounts to the LCA- ( some failures of LCA at that mounting point are common on lifted 100's used off-road)

Mine just arrived as well. I believe the concensus I've seen is the forward position. Let you know in a few days.
Just FYI, all the actual sources recommend the rear position on the LCA of you are going to install only one set.
It has been confirmed by both wheeler and the Timbren sources. Rear ones see more load and are designed to engage first!

Just FYI, all the actual sources recommend the rear position on the LCA of you are going to install only one set.
It has been confirmed by both wheeler and the Timbren sources. Rear ones see more load and are designed to engage first!
Thank you!

A good reason to not install these bump stops to the rear position of the front LCA.

Im not sure you could apply the findings as an absolute comparison from the FJC to the 100 series as pointing to a recommended mounting position for the stop. That is ; coil over suspension vs torsion bar and the weak spot in the 100 series LCA rear mounting point. The torsion bar places a tremendous amount of torque on the rear mount of LCA, where that's not present in a coil over suspension.

If using only one extended bump stop- I believe that the theory of placing the extended bump stop in the rear position was to reduce the bottoming stress on the weak point in the LCA where fractures were occurring. With the addition of the LCA reinforcement bracket, this may nullify that theory. Anecdotally Ive run my Timbrens in the forward position for no other reason then laziness at install- front stop was easier to get to. I have the reinforcement bracket installed and have not had an issue but can understand the basis of the theory. FWIW JT recommended placing the Timbren in the rear position.

Im not sure you could apply the findings as an absolute comparison from the FJC to the 100 series as pointing to a recommended mounting position for the stop. That is ; coil over suspension vs torsion bar and the weak spot in the 100 series LCA rear mounting point. The torsion bar places a tremendous amount of torque on the rear mount of LCA, where that's not present in a coil over suspension.

If using only one extended bump stop- I believe that the theory of placing the extended bump stop in the rear position was to reduce the bottoming stress on the weak point in the LCA where fractures were occurring. With the addition of the LCA reinforcement bracket, this may nullify that theory. Anecdotally Ive run my Timbrens in the forward position for no other reason then laziness at install- front stop was easier to get to. I have the reinforcement bracket installed and have not had an issue but can understand the basis of the theory. FWIW JT recommended placing the Timbren in the rear position.
I am not comparing FJC to the 100 series, or coil over suspension vs torsion bar. Just showing bench data of the bump stop compression. The bump stop is compressed from 68mm to 21mm height wise. That is 47mm or 1.85" compression. The bump stop height with maximum compression is 21mm or 0.83". That is shorter than stock bump stop height. I prefer not having the rear position of the LCA compressed more than stock configuration. As you pointed out, the torsion bar places a tremendous amount of torque on the rear mount of LCA.

View attachment 2784478
Replying to my own post here. I frequently drive in a rough rock covered environment. I've been off-roading on weekends and multiple times (week days) duriing this month. While staggered, the bumps appear to be getting the sam engagement. I am heavily armored and truck weighs over 7,000 lbs.

The bottom line is that I love the way the 100 drives and handles in my somewhat extreme environment.

1672419953412.png

Found a great deal on wheeler bumpstops from a fellow mudder and installed them on the front. I already have a pair installed on the rear position of the front LCAs, with about 1/2" shaved off to avoid constant contact (my truck is stock height!).

Decided to not shave off anything this time and let them stay in contact with LCAs to see if I can tell a difference in ride. I was a little wary that they might also prevent the truck from going into low mode on AHC. Happy to report that they didn't affect the ride quality or the ability to go low.
Hopefully having a complete set will save my front wheels from chewing up the fender liner the next time I (inadvertently) jump the front end :lol:

20230110_141704.jpg

One trick I have used when installing these bumpstops (this was my third set!) is to super glue the bolt into the mount first. That way you can just twist the mount on, like the OEM mounts!
Otherwise you have to fiddle with the Allen key with 1/4 turn at a time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom