What's On The Grill Tonight? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@KlausVanWinkle That's commitment. Alone at 10pm I'd probably just eat a stick of butter and a bottle of brown liquor. But I have been known to wake up early and grill for breakfast what should have been my dinner.

Haha. My wife has been travelling to Dallas multiple times a week for work. So I've been fending for myself, while also fending for my job. My main client at work is leaving. So I've been working longer hours to try to get onto other accounts. And I know I'm not going to get any more work done once I eat dinner ;) Actually got some work done last night while waiting for the grill to heat up to make round two of this meal.

Not the best plating but you get the idea. Ribeyes seared on the grate, rested, then researed in a cast iron pan with butter until 128F IT. Smashed, roasted potatoes with thyme and butter, olive oil and balsamic dressed greens with goat cheese.

32713170762_ebc2de4179_z.jpg

32056402403_89603dd67c_z.jpg

32056401803_18bafdc366_z.jpg

@spressomon, I just got my baking steel. Have any suggestions for what to make on it first? I'm going to a dinner party tonight and wanted to use it to make something other than pizza.

Last edited:
Haha. My wife has been travelling to Dallas multiple times a week for work. So I've been fending for myself, while also fending for my job. My main client at work is leaving. So I've been working longer hours to try to get onto other accounts. And I know I'm not going to get any more work done once I eat dinner ;) Actually got some work done last night while waiting for the grill to heat up to make round two of this meal.

Not the best plating but you get the idea. Ribeyes seared on the grate, rested, then researed in a cast iron pan with butter until 128F IT. Smashed, roasted potatoes with thyme and butter, olive oil and balsamic dressed greens with goat cheese.

32713170762_ebc2de4179_z.jpg

32056402403_89603dd67c_z.jpg

32056401803_18bafdc366_z.jpg

@spressomon, I just got my baking steel. Have any suggestions for what to make on it first? I'm going to a dinner party tonight and wanted to use it to make something other than pizza.

Sorry Adam, somehow I missed this. Smash burgers are one of my favorite non-pizza things to cook on the griddle over a hot lump fire.

Have you baked Neapolitan style pizzas on your Baking Steel yet?

Sorry Adam, somehow I missed this. Smash burgers are one of my favorite non-pizza things to cook on the griddle over a hot lump fire.

Have you baked Neapolitan style pizzas on your Baking Steel yet?

I tried it on Saturday. But the steel got too hot. I'm going to run the grill more like an oven with the heat diffusers so that the air and steel are at the same temp. A little burnt but was still good. My wife wanted to make something too. So we doubled down on the carbs and she made some fresh fettuccini.

32675656450_a0b95bda84_z.jpg

Last edited:
Had a big grilling session yesterday. Smoked 3 8lb bone in KC-style dryrubbed pork shoulders on Presidents day. Used applewood and hickory smoke for about 11hrs. Dialed up the smoke at the beginning to penetrate the meat. Then dialed it up again at the end to get a good crust and bark on the burnt ends.

I pulled one shoulder off, cubed it, added more dry rub and mixed with KC-style bbq sauce to make pork burnt ends. They were a big hit at the dinner party.

The pork pulled like butter. The grill was totally unaffected by the rain, and I was able to go on a couple hour hike with my dog while waiting.

9:00 AM
32999198696_14d92ded93_z.jpg

Mid-Smoke hike/splash 2:00 PM.
32915617761_ae59d1c6dd_z.jpg

195F IT/7:00 PM

32225821813_3f5776eee9_z.jpg

Gatorade coolers are the perfect size for transporting while resting pork shoulder.
33040914545_0f83b047ae_z.jpg

8:00PM Pulled
33040914005_89d5815ce2_z.jpg

Pork Burnt Ends. I put these on a brioche bun with some apple/cabbage/vinegar slaw: Yum.
33040914155_f6a3c6c43b_z.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to clog this thread. But I like yall better than the Primo grill Forum.

I decided to try a pizza to burn off the grease from this weekends triple pork shoulder smoke (see flames in first pic).

I'm finally getting a handle on stretching the dough and using this baking steel. Used ceramic deflectors plates under it this time. Helped the top and bottom cook at similar rates. Raising it higher into the dome would probably help. The crust isn't getting as browned as I'd like. But the bubbling on the crust and leoparding on the bottom is spot on at 500-550F, opposed to the gasket burning 700-800F you need to achieve that with a stone.

Since the steel stays warm so long. I threw a calzone on to see how it'd do. Similar results. Good but needs more browning on top.

32950898971_fdf943e257_z.jpg

32950899051_974d78f36f_z.jpg

32950917451_2554f75d29_z.jpg

32695873420_9954a513a7_z.jpg

So you have have a reflector below your baking steel when doing pizzas? I prefer to get the dome heat soaked (actually the entire vessel + grates + baking steel/stone) and get the baking steel positioned as high/far away from the heat source as practical with nothing between the fire and the baking steel.

Or it may be more beneficial, depending upon the mass of your ceramic reflector compared to dome and heat radiation effect of both, to use the ceramic reflector positioned above your pie to allow top down browning instead of purely relying upon the dome for this job.

But at least you're on the right path now.

So you have have a reflector below your baking steel when doing pizzas? I prefer to get the dome heat soaked (actually the entire vessel + grates + baking steel/stone) and get the baking steel positioned as high/far away from the heat source as practical with nothing between the fire and the baking steel.

Or it may be more beneficial, depending upon the mass of your ceramic reflector compared to dome and heat radiation effect of both, to use the ceramic reflector positioned above your pie to allow top down browning instead of purely relying upon the dome for this job.

But at least you're on the right path now.

Without using the heat diffusers (3/4in thick ceramic D-plates) the baking steel was getting direct heat from the fire. So its surface temp was 680F when the grill was around 500F (dome thermometer). So the bottom burned before the top browned. The diffusers seem to keep everything, including the baking steel, at the same temperature so the bottom and top cook at similar rates. But to your point, raising the steel higher in the dome would help the top brown faster. Right now the top is barely burned when the bottom is done. But I need to order a second raised grate to fit the steel that high.

91096e559ae015d6dfb5f4a9a0b807e9.jpg

Adam, just out of curiosity since I've never seen a Primo: In your post #727 I see the flames, presumably from lump not gas right(?), rising above your grate/stone/steel surface. The fire box must be closer to your grate than on my KK. I see why you need to use heat diffuser(s) between the firebox and grate. Even with getting the rack raised so it can take better take advantage of the radiant heat effect of the dome you will, assuming the firebox is relatively close to the heat diffuser, still need to use the heat diffuser. Sorry I didn't notice this earlier.

From yesterday: This was a 5-day cold ferment using Jeff Varasano's recipe and 50/50 mix of "00" Caputo and KA bread flour. Could be the best dough/crust I've ever made ... or very close (not counting when I used to have Italian strain sourdough culture ...). Dome was 600F ... perfect for the first two pies but, while I wasn't paying attention but rather eating pizza :rolleyes:, dome temp crept to 650F and the bottom baked too fast (I was too hurried to dig my IR thermometer out ... but will use it next time so I know how hot the steel is). Still edible but definitely not bullseye.

IMG_7097.JPG

IMG_0115 3.JPG

Adam, just out of curiosity since I've never seen a Primo: In your post #727 I see the flames, presumably from lump not gas right(?), rising above your grate/stone/steel surface. The fire box must be closer to your grate than on my KK. I see why you need to use heat diffuser(s) between the firebox and grate. Even with getting the rack raised so it can take better take advantage of the radiant heat effect of the dome you will, assuming the firebox is relatively close to the heat diffuser, still need to use the heat diffuser. Sorry I didn't notice this earlier.

Yeah, the firebox in the Primos is a little shallower than in BGE and the Chinese brands. The price you pay for the oval shape and made in USA (without paying KK prices).

I wish it was a little deeper and the dome was a little taller. The plus side is that the grates either sit at the fire box level or 2in above that (at gasket height), with the raised grate 4in above either of those. What I did last time, that worked well, was using the raised grate to position the baking steel 4" above the fire box. My temp got too low (450-475 surface temp). That set up at 600F should work perfectly. For reference the main grate roughly is 25 x18.5"

You can get an idea here:

8774%20Primo%20Oval%20JR%20Galerie%2007.png

PRIMO_GRILL_OVAL_XL_400_onderdelen1.jpg

Just trying to keep this thread alive!

Finished off a day of 4x4ing through flowers with some kansas city style ribs, hasselback potatoes, balsamic marinated mushrooms, and apple/red cabbage slaw tossed in a mustard, cayenne, apple cider vinegar and olive oil dressing. Cooked everything on the Primo except for the slaw.

33691932521_da1a6edef8_c.jpg

33782682606_1086c8ffe2_c.jpg

33782702496_bd48b84630_c.jpg

^ I think I just gained 5 pounds looking at your post Adam!

Getting the smoker fired up for the first time in months. Last love I showed it was at the super bowl. Put a pork shoulder on this morning and prepped some collar greens last night. Will post the results in a bit.

The plate separator for the big green egg was MIA so I improvised. Couple bricks from behind the garage and a pizza stone should do the trick.

IMG_4071.JPG

D78ECF7A-F9AE-48EE-A586-99AD2E37BEC8.jpg

Wish I could bottle this smell, Beer can Tecate Chicken and Jalepeno poppers in the smoker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom