What's more capable a TRD Pro 4Runner or a built 100 Series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was asking about the drivetrain.

The Tacoma switched to a new drivetrain. 4R is still 4.0.

Frame is 150 series.

Taco total different animal

:censor:

21743175_10214630120132932_1718325965568534548_n.jpg

Do these new 4Runners share the same drivetrain as the new Tacoma? Wasn't the Tacoma given a lot of bs over being unreliable and taken off the CR recommended list as having the worst reliability of its class? When I think Tacoma I always think it's a pickup version of the 4Runner (minus the whole boxed vs c-channel frame).

Any more insight on this? To me that's really sad that Toyota would drop the ball that hard, being that reliability has always given them an edge over some competition that maybe offered more "out of the box" value in terms of standard options, more power, better performance, etc., Toyota seems to sell even if their cars don't perform as well but have that reputation of long term reliability, low ownership cost, and solid build quality.

The tacoma had what are hopefully teething issues, big problems with initial quality. Hunting automatic transmissions, rear diff leaks, crank position sensor failures resulting in no-start, improperly filled cases, and sticky manual transmissions to name a few. I owned a 2016 manual for a few months and quickly got back into a 4Runner. The Taco's are made in Texas or Mexico whereas the 4Runner's come from Japan. There is a huge difference in interior quality and driver comfort (to me). I thought they were more similar too but if you spend time in the cabin of both you start picking up on the little things which, after awhile, turned into big things for me. Why the Taco still doesn't have adjustable-height seats is beyond me. It's true the Tacoma uses a geometrically similar front end, but that's about where the differences end. The current 4Runner is based off the 150 series chassis, which, as far as I know, is an evolution of the 120 series from early 2000's. They've made small changes over the years like reinforcing lower control arms and what not but it's pretty tried and true. The new Tacoma is an evolution of the past Tacoma.

Anyways, Toyota seems to have addressed all of the known issues with the Tacoma, it's just way more than a lot of us expected from Toyota. The rear diff thing really blew me away, something like 200,000+ Tacoma's are being recalled. I will say that, in the short time I owned it, I pushed that Tacoma hard with overloaded suspension over rough country and it never failed me.

Do these new 4Runners share the same drivetrain as the new Tacoma? Wasn't the Tacoma given a lot of bs over being unreliable and taken off the CR recommended list as having the worst reliability of its class? When I think Tacoma I always think it's a pickup version of the 4Runner (minus the whole boxed vs c-channel frame).

Any more insight on this? To me that's really sad that Toyota would drop the ball that hard, being that reliability has always given them an edge over some competition that maybe offered more "out of the box" value in terms of standard options, more power, better performance, etc., Toyota seems to sell even if their cars don't perform as well but have that reputation of long term reliability, low ownership cost, and solid build quality.

As stated before, the 4Runner has a 4.0
The new Taco has a 3.5.

Put Marlin TC gears in a 100 with front and rear lockers. Hard to beat that setup. You get a great DD with V8 and super capable trail rig.

All for half the cost of a new 4Runner

Gas mileage in a LC is sh*t compared to the 4Runner though. Keep in mind that.

Gas mileage in a LC is sh*t compared to the 4Runner though. Keep in mind that.
Are we talking offroad capabilities or how many clowns can fit in a Prius?

Both
Clown 40.jpg

18 mpg for a 2017 model midsized suv with a v6 isn't good though. It's even worse in prospective when comparing it to a much heavier, full-sized suv with a V8 designed in the early 90s and it is only 3 mpg better.

18 mpg for a 2017 model midsized suv with a v6 isn't good though. It's even worse in prospective when comparing it to a much heavier, full-sized suv with a V8 designed in the early 90s and it is only 3 mpg better.

This was why I bought a LC over a 4runner. While the peak hp number is higher in the 4R, it is all about the curves. Look at the dyno sheets of both and it is quite apparent that the LC has the 4R beat. That torque curve is quite nice on the LC even back to the 1998s. Ha ha I will be lucky to hit 14 MPG in my new to me LC, but once fuel mileage is this bad, who cares?

There is a good chance that if the 5th gen 4Rs had offered a v8 I would have bought it over my LC... Maybe.... Probably not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom