What’s a fair price? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would argue that 4 dollar gas price has very small effect on the price of these vehicles. Most people are not buying them for a daily commute that is a long distance.

^^^This^^^. When gas prices were close to or above $4 a gallon you could barely give one of these away.
It’s the gas price here. Almost no one here recognizes an 80.

This is $60K -$80K Raptor and Rubicon country. The dealers here have a hard time keeping them on the lot.

The current prices on 80s are very high, but compared to the lesser vehicles that are their competition could be quite worse.

^^^This^^^. When gas prices were close to or above $4 a gallon you could barely give one of these away.
The difference is, the 80 is now a sought after collector vehicle with a fairly substantial following. The last time gas was $4 per gallon, the 80 was overwhelmingly viewed as a used up, dated SUV that looked like a bubble. 80s are typically no longer purchased with the intent to be DD'd. I think you will see little effect on the 80 market due to rising gas prices.

4Runner guy looking for an 80 series. I’m seeing trucks going from 6 grand to 30 grand. For a truck over 200,000 miles without rust in the south and no lockers, what’s a good price?
We (father and I) just picked up a 97 LX450 for $8,750 from some guys down in West VA. She’s got 236,XXX miles and also triple locked. Very limited amount of rust throughout. Practically a steal, (here it comes) BUT on our trip back home to CO we blew the headgasket. That resulted in a very expensive and very long trip to the shop (tow not included haha). Well some months and a new engine block later, it’s back home and rides like a dream. Not to mention it’s got a King 2” lift on it from previous owner and zero body damage.

All in all, any price is a good price, but keep in mind that there will be issues that come up sooner or later. After all, it’s a 25 year old (or older) vehicle. Nonetheless, it’s worth it. Ya can’t go wrong with a Landcruiser ☝🏼

The folks that want them can afford 4.00 gas

And there you go; the inflation in prices IMO is caused by people who want them as a status symbol "look at me while I drive slowly on Rodeo Drive, I might bump into a movie star, or someone might think I'm Sarah Conner the Terminator killer,----".

Or they look at these as an investment, those people who don't mind paying $4 a gallon for gas have a vested interest in hyping the value. I look at an 80 simply as a tool, to get from A to B and back again, and I like the way they handle. But heck, if it makes me look cool(er)---. I really don't care what they're worth as I don't plan to sell mine.

Either way, it is what it is. As mentioned in another post, I picked up a nice condition triple locked 80 late last year for $4500, but ditto, turned out to need a new engine, so in the end I'll have $12-14k into it once it's all buttoned up and all the PM is completed.
FWIW

The difference is, the 80 is now a sought after collector vehicle with a fairly substantial following. The last time gas was $4 per gallon, the 80 was overwhelmingly viewed as a used up, dated SUV that looked like a bubble. 80s are typically no longer purchased with the intent to be DD'd. I think you will see little effect on the 80 market due to rising gas prices.
Looked?

It still looks like a bubble.

My suggestion is if you really want an 80, find one you really love and buy it. You cant justify current prices and no matter what you spend the purchase price is just your staring point. When the prices fall the average to ruff ones will drop more dramatically compared to a top notch truck.

You cant pay to little for a sh** box and you cant pay to much for a diamond. Buy what you love and don't worry. If your trying to buy as an money making investment, you missed that boat a while back

...You cant pay to little for a sh** box and you cant pay to much for a diamond....

^^^ This. That's sig line material right there 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom