What would do about this roof rust? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
andrewloe.com
The pictures pretty much explain it all. I was quoted $900 for the installation of a new roof by a shade-tree body shop. That doesn't include the new roof.

P1010035.JPG

P1010036.JPG

P1010037.JPG

P1010038.JPG

P1010039.JPG

http://andrewloe.com/gallery/view/wheeling/fj60/roof-rust/ for full size shots.

Had the same problem...actually looked almost identical. I ended up cutting all the rust out and welding in patches all the way along....total pain in the ass.
Sorry man...I'm not sure there is a better option. And to tell ya the truth, $900 bucks doesnt sound all that bad considering all the labor I put into it.

Convertable!

bajaman said:
Had the same problem...actually looked almost identical. I ended up cutting all the rust out and welding in patches all the way along....total pain in the ass.
Sorry man...I'm not sure there is a better option. And to tell ya the truth, $900 bucks doesnt sound all that bad considering all the labor I put into it.

Ditto...lots of plasma torching cutting and tack welding. I paid about the same. I think that rust is typical for deep south cruisers. my wheel wells, frame rust free, gutters rotten.

The only thing that worries me about cutting out sections and repairing is if there is rust between the seams (where the panels are spot welded together). I have heard of people here that replace the whole roof panel. If you can get the panel it may be easier once all the spot weld have been drilled out, and will allow you to do a better and more permanent job.

My 60 has some old repair bubbling out, and a new hole just above the drivers door, but nothing anywhere as bad as those photos.

I have been thinking that if mine does that maybe I would have snaps installed allong the gutter and geta custom tonoe cover made. SAFARI in the summer and just slightly chilly in the winter.

Wow, I'm going through the exact same thing. $900 doesn't sound to bad as long as they get all the rust. Let us know how it goes.

fibreglass bondo, then linex the whole thing.
cheap, and will probably last just as long, and remember, rust never goes away, it just hides.

Drive to Central America for a body swap!! Great holiday and a rust free truck (maybe even barn doors if you're lucky)!! And did I say mechanics work for cheap (just keep an eye on them as they do the work)?
My frame swap will be less than that and it includes the frame and the install!!

:d :d

Rust free, a couple of small dings..........
Mvc-007f.jpg

Last edited:
Yep same problem I had. I ended up taking a wire wheel to mine and found out it was way worse than I imagined. I had to cut out and weld new metal all along also. The corners were very tricky. Had to use a fine layer of bondo to smooth it. While I was at it, I wire wheeled the whole rig and found lots of rust ready to bubble the paint. I ended up durabaking the whole rig and I love it. I couldn't justify the cost of new paint when I just use it for hunting and trail riding. Good luck. I would say 900 is a steal, but does that include paint, and what about the other parts of your rig that has rust hiding, ready to escape? I agree, you can never totally get rid of all rust. Always going to be a battle. Good luck, keep us posted.

Alright, so it seems that getting a new roof would be the better idea. The rest of the vehicle is relativly rust free, one patch on the drivers side rear quarter panel.

What do you guys think about painting the roof white?

Fearnofish! said:
I have been thinking that if mine does that maybe I would have snaps installed allong the gutter and geta custom tonoe cover made. SAFARI in the summer and just slightly chilly in the winter.

Even without rust, I like that idea....

Fred

my roof dint look half as bad as that but, I wire wheeled the crap out of it and put umpteem layers of paint on for it to rust thru agian...Sorry to say but your roof is a gonner...either get a new lid, make a soft top, or wheel the crap out of it.......I chose that last option....the rain gutters work well as tree sliders...

haha no kiddin....everytime I do it, it rolls the whole gutter down and I have to use a sledge hammer on it so I can open and shut the doors..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom