What type of hydraulic fitting is on the high pressure (input) side of the steering box? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Confirm x4, 16mm high-pressure, 17mm low-pressure. Both inverted flares in the box. I am running all -6 on everything except for the return from my remote reservoir to the pump, which is -10. My high pressure side fittings are all Aeroquip JIC high-pressure line and fittings rated for something like 2500 or 2800 psi. Return side are all regular aluminum AN fittings and black nylon hose. Works good except for my pump which is messed up.
The regular aluminum fittings are not rated for more then a few hundred PSI. I used to have a high-pressure side line with the regular aluminum fittings and it worked on the street but as soon as you got on any rocks it would instantly burst.
Really? I have a lot of aluminum brake line adapters that seem ok

Really? I have a lot of aluminum brake line adapters that seem ok

I mis-typed. It's not the aluminum fittings as much as the hose used with the aluminum fittings. For example, aluminum fittings with solid metal tube for a brake system is fine as you know.

I mis-typed. It's not the aluminum fittings as much as the hose used with the aluminum fittings. For example, aluminum fittings with solid metal tube for a brake system is fine as you know.
What fitting did you use on the pump side to replace the banjo fitting? Going hydroboost and need to change to JIC/AN lines between the pump and the hydroboost unit, then from the unit to the box. TIA!

What fitting did you use on the pump side to replace the banjo fitting? Going hydroboost and need to change to JIC/AN lines between the pump and the hydroboost unit, then from the unit to the box. TIA!

This thread is about steering boxes. I have never done anything with a 1FZ pump on any of my projects, I'm sure you can get a steel metric to 6AN banjo very easily though. I would definitely recommend a steel one for between the pump and hydroboost, very high pressures there

This thread is about steering boxes. I have never done anything with a 1FZ pump on any of my projects, I'm sure you can get a steel metric to 6AN banjo very easily though. I would definitely recommend a steel one for between the pump and hydroboost, very high pressures there
Agree on the steel versus aluminum for high pressure for sure. Wasn't sure what the thread size/pitch was on the pump itself and weather it is inverted flare or O-ring, was just hoping someone had gone down that path already. I have extra M16 x 1.5 metric inverter flare fittings like the high pressure side of the box, so I guess I'll try that and see if it's right first. Thanks!

Looking at your setup. This looks like a AN like. I have blown mine out of the fitting 2x. Am I wrong on what you have in your setup?
It’s -6 PTFE hose. 90s on each end and the appropriate adapters on the box and the pump.

Using AN hoses for power steering is ok for a street car but not appropriate for any sort of large tire or offroading.

Using AN hoses for power steering is ok for a street car but not appropriate for any sort of large tire or offroading.
Are you talking about the PTFE/steel braided hose?

@Broski and I just installed hydro assit with AN fittings on my truck, but with lower pressure since there is no hydro boost unit. You think I need to upgrade to the PTFE/steel braided hose? Might be cheap insurance.

@Broski and I just installed hydro assit with AN fittings on my truck, but with lower pressure since there is no hydro boost unit. You think I need to upgrade to the PTFE/steel braided hose? Might be cheap insurance.
If you used nickel/steel alloy and not aluminum AN fittings, you are golden. He was saying that the PTFE hose with steel braided exterior is no go for rigs that run bigger tires and get worked harder than average.
Your PS pump puts out a limited psi and that’s 1500-1600 no matter what power users you add. Richard would not have put a hose on your rig that was not up to the job. Did you get your hydro assist parts from WTOR?

For the record, I’ve been using the PTFE/braided hoses that came with my hydro booster kit for three years and no problems.

If you used nickel/steel alloy and not aluminum AN fittings, you are golden. He was saying that the PTFE hose with steel braided exterior is no go for rigs that run bigger tires and get worked harder than average.
Your PS pump puts out a limited psi and that’s 1500-1600 no matter what power users you add. Richard would not have put a hose on your rig that was not up to the job. Did you get your hydro assist parts from WTOR?

For the record, I’ve been using the PTFE/braided hoses that came with my hydro booster kit for three years and no problems.
Yes, I ordered the Ram and hoses from WTOR, but added an inch in length. 42” and 41”. They’re not braided, but they seem pretty beefy.

Suit yourselves guys. My personal truck’s hydroboost hoses are the field-serviceable type high pressure rated hoses and those have been fine but I’ve had them blow off my ram. Going forward I only use real crimped hydraulic hoses.
It’s usually less expensive as well since it’s all normal forklift JIC stuff.

Suit yourselves guys. My personal truck’s hydroboost hoses are the field-serviceable type high pressure rated hoses and those have been fine but I’ve had them blow off my ram. Going forward I only use real crimped hydraulic hoses.
Thanks….that helps clear it up Matt. I’m running crimped hydraulic lines from West Texas Offroad. Good to go.

Somehow mine (not aluminum) and several others with bigger tires and hydroassist have held. 🤞🏻

The PTFE hoses are field repairable and easy to work with. The only PTFE hoses on my 80 are associated with the hydro booster and those were supplied by the company that put together the hydro booster kit and I’m assuming they have sent those type of hoses to many customers. No issues three years now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom