What to bring when wheeling @ Rausch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So after having my first wheeling trip with the Keystone Cruisers I quickly realized just how unprepared I was for the event. I wanted to ask the more experienced members to help me form a list of essentials needed before heading back out.

It may be even more helpful to break it down into:

Must Have
Should Have
Would be Nice to Have

So far my list is Front Bumper, Sliders and Skid Plates ... and lunch, I remembered that the first time. Hopefully putting this list in priority will help me be able to get out and enjoy trails again while I continue the build on my Cruiser. I hope to be trail capable by March of next year if things go as anticipated.

I consider these all must haves - Sliders, lockers, tire deflators, on-board air (unless you like waiting in lines), food and water.

bumpers are cool and most of us run them, but not essential, they actually hurt your approach and departure angles.

I'm new to this, but my upgraded front bumper helped a lot, I agree on the rear though, it's nice, but not needed.

CB. More CB's. Back when I went off road with my old fj40 in the 90's we all had them, now, not so much. People use their phones, but they don't work often and it's kinda a pain. CBs!

In addition to basic wrench and screw driver set, I have steel wire and dikes, hose clamps, 3M Duct duct tape, pruning saw, extra fuses, carb cleaner.

So far my list is Front Bumper, Sliders and Skid Plates ... and lunch, I remembered that the first time. Hopefully putting this list in priority will help me be able to get out and enjoy trails again while I continue the build on my Cruiser. I hope to be trail capable by March of next year if things go as anticipated.

But to be honest, I went with nothing but some 33's the first time and had a blast. But I also had lunch and coffee with me!

This is always a good convo. I normally pack more than what is needed but it’s mainly due to all of my time in the service. Had to have 2 of everything!
IMO, there are essentials for being in the woods.
-deflaters
-compressor
-2-4 shackles
-recovery strap
-shovel/ ax
-a decent bottle jack or hi-lift depending on what you are comfortable with
-fire extinguisher
-flashlight

If you have a winch
-tree saver
-snatch block

Tool bag:
I carry all of the common metrics, BFH, electrical tape, duct tape,wire, fuses, tire repair kit, extra valve cores, etc etc.
Vehicle specific spares if you are aware of what the most common failures are. For me it’s an extra CV Axle.

Then it comes down to figuring out a way to have all said items secured. Nothing like having a crescent wrench or hammer, or both becoming a projectile inside of the vehicle!

Communications are good and always recommended, CB or HAM but not a necessity IMO as long as the leader and tail gunner can communicate and everyone in the middle follows simple trail edicate.

I was always taught that you try be as prepared as possible for the “what-ifs”, but you are never actually ready! Like in the other thread. Stuff needs to be secured as not to become a hazard. And often times, like what happened to Blair, when you are the guy that IS stuck, you have to rely to the folks around you to help out as reaching in the back isn’t an option at the time.

And as mentioned, a mild lift, decent tires, sliders and some armor for the weak areas will always add piece of mind when you are literally stuck between a rock and a hard place!

The way you Keystone guys wheel!
The AAA card??

I need one for my Tow Rig!!

What brand/model of CB are you guys using or recommend?

Stock - that is basically EXACTLY what I had with me, same size tires too.

I did not see full size spare tire. It' kind of a given but many over look it.

what? you mean rolln jeep style* aint fly?

*35" or larger tires, with the oem spare on the carrier

What brand/model of CB are you guys using or recommend?

Stock - that is basically EXACTLY what I had with me, same size tires too.

Cobra is top of the line, and paired with a firestick antenna. Get a good cable otherwise you’ll pull your hair out trying to tune it, trust me I used to have an Afro.

I just have a cheapy amazon uniden cb. I’m not trying to reach mars, usually just communicating with trucks within a 100 yards of myself. You should be able to source the whole deal on amazon for under $100 assuming you have somewhere to mount it already.

Good old Uniden 510 (I think it the number). They have been around forever, are water and dust resistant. Firestick, mount and unit where under $100. Took me 2 beers to install, supper easy. Biggest decision is where to mount the unit. Tons of options. Don't get caught up in the power/distance hype, CB's are regulated to 4 watts. Mount your antenna up high is the key, but really, you are just talking to the guys in a 500 yard radius.

I would argue that a stout rear bumper with 1/4 panel protection is more important than a stout front bumper, especially in wagons due to the damage caused when coming off ledges and large rocks. They don't impact departure angle that much, if at all.

When I started wheeling, it was on remote trails where there wasn't an option to keep spares, fluids and extra tools at the trailhead. I've modified my thinking since moving to the east coast where we can park tow rigs and extra stuff at the trailhead, and reduced what I carry on the trail, slightly.

IMHO, everyone should carry, at a minimum: a 1st aid kit, a knife; 550 cord; a spare tire, a jack, ideally a bottle jack and hi-lift jack; tow strap and at least two shackles; gloves; a couple small ratchet straps, a quart each of oil, coolant, brake fluid and ATF; and at least a basic tool kit.
As a group, you should have a winch with shackles, tree saver, and pulley; tools to pull TREs and replace birfs; monkey wrench; impact wrench and sockets; multimeter, crimpers and electrical wire and various terminals; gallon each of gear oil and water.

I'm sure there's more, but that should cover most issues.

Appropriate spares to carry is another topic of discussion:
I carry a spare fuel pump, winch solenoid, locking hub, rear drive shaft and ujoints, ignition coil, fuel line, soft brake line, fan belts, duct tape, power steering hi pressure hose, axle seals, and an assortment of nuts and bolts, including wheel lug studs and nuts.

Front bumper is needed for me because I currently have nothing (bought it that way) and the paper clip PS cooler is hanging right out front asking to get ripped off the first time it hits anything. Rear bumpers cost loot, but waiting on some long term review of the unit stock just got (I think it was his). It's a bit more affordable, especially after front bumper, winch, sliders and skid plates.

It will take a while before I can carry all the stuff mentioned above. I may just have to wheel softly and carry an AAA Platinum Membership for a while. The list is coming together though and is much appreciated. I see myself tracking down Fireball for custom drawers to carry this stuff or I will need earplugs from all the rattling around.

I have the straps. still need shackles. The sliders are linked to the body lift, just an inch, but needs to be done at the same time and the front bumper I want is waiting on a winch decision. It's my busy season too, need to put in that time now so I can take the summer off for the most part.

Still need to take a day and buy all the small stuff too, like the gauge set and regulator for CO2 bottle, deflators, CB, spare rim so I can have a spare tire (my truck didn't come with a spare of course). One day I will find the time and have enough beers and just spend whats needed to get it all at once.

Question on the shackles: Are the factory tow points no good for winch points? Do I buy different winch points that go in the factory mounts?

I have the straps. still need shackles. The sliders are linked to the body lift, just an inch, but needs to be done at the same time and the front bumper I want is waiting on a winch decision. It's my busy season too, need to put in that time now so I can take the summer off for the most part.

Still need to take a day and buy all the small stuff too, like the gauge set and regulator for CO2 bottle, deflators, CB, spare rim so I can have a spare tire (my truck didn't come with a spare of course). One day I will find the time and have enough beers and just spend whats needed to get it all at once.

Question on the shackles: Are the factory tow points no good for winch points? Do I buy different winch points that go in the factory mounts?

I would not put CO2 and deflators above recovery gear and spares.
The shackles are good for many things, including securing to factory recovery points and saving wear on the tow strap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom