What the deuce is this thing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

my 'success' seemed to fade after a few hundred miles with the new Toyota part..

I'll be researching this more later. mine is not hard to start, but turns over a few more revs than it should. definitely not the relay issue..

Edit: it started better and idled better directly after replacing the part.

who else has changed this part and what did you use to do it?.

I'm very dexterous and fairly strong for a skinny white boy and this part required 'custom' tools for me to get it done..

a

nice. I didn't think of that, not sure I had one that size, but from the force I had to use I don't think I could have made it work..

side note:
can you use a crows foot with an impact?

a

Bump

I just checked mine, cap in place but the screw seems loose in it, like there are no threads to tighten it.

I'm assuming I'll have to buy a new one. anyone have a link to buy it? or should I just call a dealer?

if it wasn't posted earlier then contact the dealer..

I've taken mine off a few more times since just to check on it. and it gets easier each time.. I would recommend planning on adjusting the valves at the same time.. easier to get too and 2 or 3 birds with 1 or 10 wrenches.. :)

good luck..

A

Anyone know the exact mm crows foot wrench needed for this, 21,22, or 23mm, and does it matter what type of crows foot wrench?

I just messed with mine. Cap in place screw completely backed out almost dropped it. Reinserted screw tighted to my estimate ha ha ha!

We'll see what happens. MOre than likely need a new one eventually.

When I bought my used FJ62 a year ago, there was a constant fuel smell around the vehicle.
I finally located the leak at the pulsation damper.
Since the screw was loose I tightened it up. But after reading this thread I realized that probably didn't help the function of that part.
I ordered a new one, not a Toyota oem part. I ordered and installed a Standard Motor Products FPD4 Pressure Regulator. This part was listed my this vehicle as a fit.
Does anyone think it makes any difference if I use this part or the oem? Is this part really that important other than a type of shock absorber for the fuel rail?
51mC4iK4d-L._SX425_.jpg

Old thread I know but when you're searching for a problem and find the fix you are just as excited. I had some rough idle and hesitation at lower speeds so I started reading and decided to just buy every part I could find that might help. After several hundred dollars and trips to parts stores I ended up with several. I did not realize there was a magic screw on this dampner until I looked here to see how to get in there to get it out, then I read about the magic screw. The replacement part does not have one nor does it have a rivot it is the same part pictured above, anyway I screwed down the magic screw that was lose inside the grey cap and son of gun if it didn't smooth everything out. Now I have extra parts and didn't have to bust a knuckle or buy a crows foot. Amazing how one little screw can effect so much and great information guys I would have never even thought if this.

When I bought my used FJ62 a year ago, there was a constant fuel smell around the vehicle.
I finally located the leak at the pulsation damper.
Since the screw was loose I tightened it up. But after reading this thread I realized that probably didn't help the function of that part.
I ordered a new one, not a Toyota oem part. I ordered and installed a Standard Motor Products FPD4 Pressure Regulator. This part was listed my this vehicle as a fit.
Does anyone think it makes any difference if I use this part or the oem? Is this part really that important other than a type of shock absorber for the fuel rail?
View attachment 881409
MRT, did this eliminate your fuel smell?

Old thread I know but when you're searching for a problem and find the fix you are just as excited. I had some rough idle and hesitation at lower speeds so I started reading and decided to just buy every part I could find that might help. After several hundred dollars and trips to parts stores I ended up with several. I did not realize there was a magic screw on this dampner until I looked here to see how to get in there to get it out, then I read about the magic screw. The replacement part does not have one nor does it have a rivot it is the same part pictured above, anyway I screwed down the magic screw that was lose inside the grey cap and son of gun if it didn't smooth everything out. Now I have extra parts and didn't have to bust a knuckle or buy a crows foot. Amazing how one little screw can effect so much and great information guys I would have never even thought if this.

I'm going to gaze in my crystal ball and say that screw won't stay put and you will still be replacing that thang.

I'm sure of it but it did let me know that was a problem. I still have some issues and gas mileage is going down fast.

Mine is rough cranking it cold but if the motor is hot already it start smooth and fast. I thought it might have been my get valve leaking so I replaced the gasket and no help. I will look into this

How tight should the screw be? After I hit resistance I tightened it another 1/4 turn. Cap was on but screw was totally out, very lucky it didn't drop.

I just checked the screw in mine after a few years and it's still there and snug. Not sure the condition of the O-ring though. I imagine after 32 years it's probably pretty hard and crack.ed. Not showing any symptoms of failure or fuel smell or any of that crap though, so I think for now it's okay. With the new OEM ones having a solid rivet in place of a screw, I might go ahead and swap it out just for long term piece of mind.

IMG_1271.jpg

I thought I'd post a pic of the tool I used to remove the fuel pulsation dampener. It's a 22mm crow foot socket that I modified by grinding off the tabs at mouth of the wrench. Also ground it a bit thinner. Makes it a 2-minute job to replace the FPD. Just slide the socket on (with extension) from the rear. In other words, the opening of the wrench facing away from the firewall. Hope that helps someone.

The part number for the FPD is 23270-73010. Apparently this same part is used on Toyota engines through 2007.

I think I mentioned this years ago, but for the record the screw is for calibration, not for tightening down all the way. Here's Toyota's statement on it:

The screw mounted at the top of the damper provides an easy check for fuel system pressure. When the screw is up it means the fuel rail is pressurized. Under most conditions, this check is adequate. The screw is nonadjustable and it is used to calibrate the damper at the factory.

If it leaks, replace it. If it doesn't, leave it alone.

So how do you calibrate it if it's leaking? If you replace it then you would have to calibrate it as well, per what they do at the factory.... hmm.

So how do you calibrate it if it's leaking? If you replace it then you would have to calibrate it as well, per what they do at the factory.... hmm.
No need. It's just a pulsation dampener, not a pressure regulator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom