what makes an lj and lj? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am here in France for work. Been here a week. Lots of 90 series everywhere. This afternoon an lj70 3.0lx shows up in the parking lot. I look underneath to have a look and compare with my crappy old bj70. Now i am not all that familiar with the toyota trannys or tcases, but it did not look any different than mine. The suspension is all coils. It had a 2.5" exhaust that looked stock. It has auto hubs up front and of course different front fascia yadda yadda yadda. So here is my question: aside from the differences I have noted what makes an lj an lj asnd why are they considered "light duty". Is it just the suspension and the pinions?

Karl

smaller diffs front and rear, lighter duty tranny, coils all around, smaller engine 2LTE if it was a 1990 and later LJ70.
smaller hood, one peice fenders, 3 peice front grill/light combo...
cheers

Unfortunately I did not bring a camera with me and its dark anyway, so it does not matter. Here is a picture from an ebay add with the same body style and some other similar features (except it a 73):

http://cgi.ebay.ca/LAND-CRUISER-KZJ...4626556957QQcategoryZ9863QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So is this pictured tlc a light duty series?

Wayne:

Is the lighter duty trenny just due to the fact that its not behind a 3b or 13bt calibre engine?

Karl

yes, that is the " lighter " duty LC.
the tranny is the same as the one used in the mini trucks...

M John Galt said:
Is there some webpage where all those acronyms are deciphered: like BJ, HJ, LJ, FJ, RJ, etc as well as the 'series' numbers
There isn't much to decipher.

The first letter is the engine (L= 4cy mini diesel, B=4cyl truck diesl, S=4cyl gas car...)
The second letter is the vehicle line (J=land Cruiser, N=minitruck, E=corolla...)
The first digit is the chassis generation/family
second digit is specific body/chassi version (pickup/SUV/SWB/LWB...)

I need to write .. 120 series 1KZ-TE it can be considered as " light duty " I don't thing so .. exept for IFS .. nap ..

Just thought in 1KZ-TE engine with more HP than my old 2H that is considered Heavy duty .. ? hahahaahaha

There are many things changing .. not to talk about 1KD-TE engine D4D common rail .. with much more power than 1KZ-TE

FJ40Jim said:
There isn't much to decipher.

The first letter is the engine (L= 4cy mini diesel, B=4cyl truck diesl, S=4cyl gas car...)
The second letter is the vehicle line (J=land Cruiser, N=minitruck, E=corolla...)
The first digit is the chassis generation/family
second digit is specific body/chassi version (pickup/SUV/SWB/LWB...)

What about the "D" and "Z" in HDJ & HZJ ?

"J" signifies the Land Cruiser product line. The "HDJ" is a Land Cruiser with the 1HD-T six cylinder turbodiesel engine. The "HZJ" is a Land Cruiser with the 1HZ normally-aspirated six cylinder diesel engine. The numbers that come after the designations you've specified give you which series of cruiser (such as 4x, 55, 6x, 7x, 80, etc.).

my understanding is:
H(D)T direct injection over head cam
H(Z)J overhead cam (FZJ,KZJ,PZJ)

Yep. But I was going "general" because the questioner is apparently a novice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom