what is proper warm up procedure? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How about fo Diesel 80s. What is the proper warm-up procedure?

1) Turn ignition on.
2) Wait for glow plugs to heat up. This can take between 2 and 40 seconds depending on how cold it is.
3) Start engine.
4) Drive away.

Naw, when mine has been turned off overnight, or more than 5 or 6 hours, and it's cold it takes a while for it to stop being really high, but when I've had it on, it'll go up as high as it gets in about 10 seconds or less.

I guess this is a case of "how cold is cold?"

Down here in San Diego, cold means you have to wear shoes. That's probably the difference.

Minus the typo (should be fuel in the oil), this is the proper procedure. The goal is to get the engine warmed up as fast as possible without stressing it. To do this, you give it enough time to build full oil pressure (really about 5 seconds, as much as 20-30 seconds but only in -40f weather with mineral oils), and then drive it easily until warmed up. Getting on the freeway within 1-3 minutes will not hurt it, just don't punch it until you get it up to operating temperature.

Question: I must back out of my garage, do a very tight "K-turn" around, and once out of my 90-foot driveway, it's a mere 8 blocks to First Mountain on I-280. First Mountain (a/k/a Orange Mountain -- the first of the three ridges in the Watchung Mountains) is a 6% grade, and one must come to highway speed virtually instantly, given that there is almost NO on-ramp to speak of... and bearing in mind that my poor ole rig is a '92 (3FE)... any further advice? Is that warm-up procedure still "good enough" for my 80 and it's necessary driving conditions?

I generally drop the gearshift into 3rd for that climb, and only shift back up at the peak. I do the same while climbing Second and Third Ridges, too.

Or am I babying the truck too much? :lol:
I H8 listening to it whine and bitch .....

Or am I babying the truck too much? :lol:
I H8 listening to it whine and bitch .....[/QUOTE]

Where is Landtank when you need him!!!;p

Where is Landtank when you need him!!!;p

PDoyle, please remember that my name is Stephanie ;)
(ie: I'm female, and will NOT appreciate - as you all do - any of his such commentary. :flipoff2:)

I should have said that I H8 listening to my truck bitch and whine like my husband every time I bring up the mods I want to do to my rig... :lol:

I'm not really offended by that sort of talk. just kidding...

LOL

I start the truck, wait for that initial drop in rpm and the go.

These truck's are like wives, the more you pamper them the bitchier they get.

This is what I meant...:D

I'm seeing a considerable number of mixed review on this subject. I always felt that it was matter of expansion and contraction and proper lubrication. I always felt better after letting my rig warm up in the winter time. I usually went out and started my truck when I let the dog out to take a leak in the morning, then by the time I was done with everything I had to do in the morning (usually 15 min) i felt my rig ran better than if jumped in, fired it up and took off down the highway at 65mph. I've been around a number of diesels vehicles as well, I always understood that starting a vehicle up and letting it warm up was crucial to prolonging engine life second to regular maintenance?!:confused:

It will run better once it's ran for 15 minutes, but during that 15 minutes you're warming up too slowly, so your prolonging all the bad stuff that happens during warm up including a lot of stuff you can't see.

Okay. So what - in your opinion - is the proper trade-off, given my less-than-usual circumstances, then, Gumby?

When I must go westbound (up First Mountain), to warm it up longer? Or to force it to work hard - rather cold - on a 6% grade at NJ-usual highway speed (ie: approx 70 mph)?

We're talking going a dozen blocks from dead-cold to the ramp onto I-280, then having to force the truck to go from a cold and unhappy 40 mph to a foot-to-the-floorboard drop-it-into-3rd-gear-and-force-it to get to 70 mph within 60 or 90 seconds on a 6% grade hill.
This is just a daily necessity of life here in Orange.

Do I like doing that kind of ultra-aggressive driving? Hell no! Especially in an FJ80...

Are there sensible alternatives? Not really...

I just try to run other local errands first, whenever possible, so I won't have to hit First Mountain first thing in the morning.

I am not comfortable at all with you talking about ass or how much it meant to you:) All I know is it takes much less time to warm my 80 up than my wife - damn it.

I would just like to say that it was not my intention to insult anyone on the forum with my earlier statement.

That said, I do stand by my assessment!

No need for apologies on my account. I'm not quite that thin-skinned. ;)

Now kidpen has offended me with his... bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha :lol:
Okay. So I couldn't even type that with a straight face. :flipoff2:

No one has yet answered my question. (regarding warm-up and tackling First Mountain almost daily)
Anybody??

What about the extra fuel dumped into the oil during cold starts? Doesn't that make the oil more acidic ? and break down much faster?:confused:

I would just like to say that it was not my intention to insult anyone on the forum with my earlier statement.

That said, I do stand by my assessment!

Well, I thought it was damn funny and I'm sure no one was offended.:D

I've always been told to do the following:

1) Start Vehicle and let it idle for no more than 30 seconds (just long enough for the oil to circulate completely)

2) Drive Vehicle at no more than 1/4 throttle until up to operating temperature (and by operating temp, I mean engine oil temp, not coolant temp)

The coolant will get up to operating temperture much faster than the oil, so you can't really go by the coolant temp gauge alone....

Also, the throttle needs to be varied with no engine braking during warmup...

This will get it up to operating temperture much faster than holding it at a constant speed with no load....

Excessive idling at any given time (especially during initial warmup) is a nono :doh:

Along with all the extra fuel being dumped at startup that will eventually dilute the oil content, just idling the engine alone won't get the transmission and rear end up to operating temperture....

3) (And I'm a firm believer in this) After the motor and the entire driveline is up to full operating temp, go through the gears at WOT at least once before finally shutting the engine down....

This will help keep blow out any large carbon deposits that may have formed during initial warmup :cool:

Rick

Aztek T/A WS7 & 70 RAM AIR IV T/A
Moderator @ LS2, FAST LS1, FUELSLUT,
The F-Body Hideout, LS1Turd & ChopperForums

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom