What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (69 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lots and lots of sanding prior to this. Lots of sanding to go!
Primer round 1.
DSC_0472 (Medium).JPG

Nice!

Last edited:
Good enough a place as any to introduce myself to the community. I've been lurking on the site for a bit now, soaking up the valuable FAQs. Finally, I'm a new owner of a 7/80 FJ. I'll post pics once I get the chance.

My "mechanically sound" purchase, despite getting it inspected independently before sale, turned out to need a new master cyl, carb overhaul and some brake line replacing. Comparatively, it now drives like a dream. Added a column-mounted tachometer too.

Good enough a place as any to introduce myself to the community. I've been lurking on the site for a bit now, soaking up the valuable FAQs. Finally, I'm a new owner of a 7/80 FJ. I'll post pics once I get the chance.

My "mechanically sound" purchase, despite getting it inspected independently before sale, turned out to need a new master cyl, carb overhaul and some brake line replacing. Comparatively, it now drives like a dream. Added a column-mounted tachometer too.

:flipoff2: Welcome and I look forward to seeing the pics.

:cheers:

Gave one of them away.... Now I have more yard.
P1070064.jpg
P1070068.jpg
P1070073.jpg

Got the rear bumper on, welded the sliders on the frame, finished the rear skid for the aux. gas tank, and ordered more parts.

Tomorrow, I have to finish puddle welding in the hole in the rear, replacing the two small sheet meal spots and install the parts to the engine. Hoping to get most of the sanding done for paint this week, buy the misses another car and popssibly lace the body on the frame again.

Fab'd up new rear shock mounts since I've moved the rear axle back a ways. Re-bled the disc brake setup (again.) Did the mudrak dual seal on the t-case, hopefully that stops the leak for good. Now that the cruiser is ready to go I got the insurance going again. Should be going to the DMV next week to get it caughtup out of non-op status :)

Just need to get the exhaust done and it's ready for DD.....
Any chance of some pictures? I gotta do the same thing.

I was able to get the front axle put back together finally. Got the third member painted and installed, and then the front axle all put back together...I have had my fill of moly grease for some time. And the wife was none too happy that I stole one of her spatulas to get the job done!!!:p
DSC03682resized.jpg

mattolewis,

Engine looks great. Are you planning TBI, or carb?

Blew out the stones and mud from inside my chassis rails with my waterblaster using a new "short/bent nozzle-rod" I made:

WaterBlaster 001.jpg

WaterBlaster 002.jpg

I was a bit worried about my nozzle-rod because I made it from copper refrigeration tubing. (Bit thicker-wall than water tubing but not much thicker/stronger.)

When I pull the trigger it gives a "bent-barrel-shot-gun-style up-kick" but so far the copper hasn't shown any sign of buckling or bursting under the strain........... Touch wood.

Oh - And it is now far easier than trying to waterblast under the forty with those "standard long straight rods".

:cheers:

PS. Here's a pic of the waterblaster itself. ......................Like my BJ40 (and myself) - it's old and therefore much better than modern versions:

WaterBlast.jpg
WaterBlaster 001.jpg
WaterBlaster 002.jpg
WaterBlast.jpg

Last edited:
Any chance of some pictures? I gotta do the same thing.

It was actually pretty simple. I cut out the shock pins from the x-member (front and back, both sides) and sleeved the x-member holes with some steel tubing.

Then I cut off the shock pins from the axle. I got 4 bolts that would be the right size to serve as shock pins and cut off the heads. I measured the angle the shocks would be at and cut an angle on the the bolt ends accordingly. Then I mocked up the shocks, and welded the bolts onto the axle. I slid the bolts for the tops of the shocks into the sleeves on the x-member and welded those up.

Cleaned up the welds and painted - turned out nicely. To be honest I'm not sure how well they'll hold up (my welder isn't great), but seeing as the springs hold the weight, these just need to soak up the road vibrations.

Pic's not the best, but it shows how close it comes to stock on the axle.
rear shocks.jpg

Seth_O - I notice the wear pattern on your rear discs is 2 narrow stripes. Mine has one narrow stripe in the middle like yours. The outside of the disc shows full contact from that pad. Is this kind of pattern normal for Monte Carlo disc brakes?

I made a list of stuff that needs attention after my last trip and taped it to the windshield.
I'm hoping it will help me remember all the little issues I noticed and get them taken care of before the next run.

I made a list of stuff that needs attention after my last trip and taped it to the windshield.
I'm hoping it will help me remember all the little issues I noticed and get them taken care of before the next run.

Dan - that's a slick idea, right up there with writing the date and mileage on the oil filter with a sharpie. I'm going to borrow that one, tks mate.....

Seth_O - I notice the wear pattern on your rear discs is 2 narrow stripes. Mine has one narrow stripe in the middle like yours. The outside of the disc shows full contact from that pad. Is this kind of pattern normal for Monte Carlo disc brakes?

Kootenay - no idea to be honest mate, I've only had the Monte Carlos' on for about 2 miles ;).

My thought was that the pads weren't true, and that with some use they would wear down to be even. That pic is of the d-side disc, the p-side is wearing much more evenly.

Have you been running yours for a while, and still have uneven wear patterns?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom