What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (40 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I didn't exactly do anything with it or to it, but I talked about Land Cruisers and learnt something I think I should share.

Test driving an HJ45 is thirsty work. So, having endured a few hours I was forced by circumstances to attend a rather insalubrious bar in the country side. (It appeared that Tuesday night had been a particularly challenging night for the regulars and Wednesday morning even more so. Lots of Toyota Hi Lux s parked outside and a good smattering of fancy new Land Cruisers and quite a few Ford Rangers.

Not long and the Dagha Boy drew some attention and the focus shifted from the medicinal Brandy and Coke to it and this "city slicker". Then the good old boys settled back into discussing the virtues of their respective modes of transport and slowly but surely the brandy and coke demanded full attention.

It was during the peaceful lull in conversation that a GIANT of a man lumbered across the bar bar to me and told me the thing I need to share.

He said: "Nice Cruiser, Uncle..." and then after two beats, " There are only three permanent things in the world. The Old Testament, The New Testament and an F in' Land Cruiser. Excuse me I've gotta take a p*ss."

I think he may be right... or maybe it's just the brandy and coke...?

Out with the old rusty tank and in with a new one.

15DF6232-2C4E-4C78-A480-5146057CE916.jpeg

E5601AD4-C241-4DCF-AE7E-A35451E3A7DF.jpeg

0D47057B-DDD1-4F33-9DCF-036EB8033847.jpeg

I didn't exactly do anything with it or to it, but I talked about Land Cruisers and learnt something I think I should share.

Test driving an HJ45 is thirsty work. So, having endured a few hours I was forced by circumstances to attend a rather insalubrious bar in the country side. (It appeared that Tuesday night had been a particularly challenging night for the regulars and Wednesday morning even more so. Lots of Toyota Hi Lux s parked outside and a good smattering of fancy new Land Cruisers and quite a few Ford Rangers.

Not long and the Dagha Boy drew some attention and the focus shifted from the medicinal Brandy and Coke to it and this "city slicker". Then the good old boys settled back into discussing the virtues of their respective modes of transport and slowly but surely the brandy and coke demanded full attention.

It was during the peaceful lull in conversation that a GIANT of a man lumbered across the bar bar to me and told me the thing I need to share.

He said: "Nice Cruiser, Uncle..." and then after two beats, " There are only three permanent things in the world. The Old Testament, The New Testament and an F in' Land Cruiser. Excuse me I've gotta take a p*ss."

I think he may be right... or maybe it's just the brandy and coke...?
Quite the profundity versed by experience.

Dropped the 40 off at Torfab for a new tranny/t-case up grade (H55F) and power steering upgrade! I was fortunate to park it nex to this other beauty! They are a great crew!!

View attachment 2645971
Is that your '69? Mine's going in next week for some electrical & tires & wheels.

I have bought random stuff from Torfab for years, they are always nice and helpful. Helps they are close to my work. If you go there around lunchtime, walk next door and get the lunch special at the Soundview tavern: they make a good burger.

I have bought random stuff from Torfab for years, they are always nice and helpful. Helps they are close to my work. If you go there around lunchtime, walk next door and get the lunch special at the Soundview tavern: they make a good burger.
Ok good to know!! I’ll check it out when I pick it up!

This weekend I made it out to Hollister Hills with a Cousin and buddy in the FJ40. Had very few issues. It popped out of 4Lo a couple times. But not that bad. Think I pretty much foxed that with the shifting mechanism. Washers effect it. Put the tire pressure down to 8psi and that thing just walks its way over pretty much anything I point it at.

View attachment 2645153

View attachment 2645154

View attachment 2645156
4 low is where a forty lives, thanks for the pics👍

Brought it home, again!
We moved houses July 2019 and I put my 40 and a bunch of parts in what was supposed to be “temporary” storage while we finished some remodeling.
Finished the remodel work early 2020, then COVID happened, work got crazy, busy schedule with a 3 and 5 year old, etc... BUT, today is the day, over a year and a half later, that everything is officially home!!
Can’t wait to start working on it again!! 😁

3E56403B-22EC-4BF4-AE30-1A98A98B29A6.jpeg

43CE8E84-0993-4C27-BE6E-A479295CA795.jpeg

Curtice; do you mind sharing what color code you went with? Sorry if it’s in here or in your thread already. That seals it for me (and the wife agrees): the next 40 is going to be Cadet Blue.

So Friday and Saturday I got the 4* shims from @orangefj45 Georg at Valley Hybrids installed, and then I took it to town. I went to town on HWY 75, which is a pretty nice road. It seemed much better to me, so I decided to come home on Possum Walk Road, the ultimate road test (ruts and bumps and just generally terrible). So here is the report: YES! CASTER! It makes a difference! I was able to keep a good speed, and the darting, bouncing, all-over-the-place steering was much better. I would think 6* might be even better, but then again, my '07 RAM doesn't handle that road very well either. I'll see what the caster reads once I get the tie rod ends installed, and the new relay rod (the current one is bent) installed. The new leaf spring centering pin from Valley Hybrids is an upgrade, meaning just a tad bit bigger diameter. It required drilling the shims and a few of the springs to a slightly larger diameter, but it wasn't very hard to do. And, the whole setup is much more precisely aligned; the round end of the pin fit the axle plate without any slack, and the nut was a tight fit in the bottom plate too.

View attachment 2641549

And, another small job, I got the taillight rock guards that I painted re-installed:

View attachment 2641550

It's a great weekend so far!! But
So Friday and Saturday I got the 4* shims from @orangefj45 Georg at Valley Hybrids installed, and then I took it to town. I went to town on HWY 75, which is a pretty nice road. It seemed much better to me, so I decided to come home on Possum Walk Road, the ultimate road test (ruts and bumps and just generally terrible). So here is the report: YES! CASTER! It makes a difference! I was able to keep a good speed, and the darting, bouncing, all-over-the-place steering was much better. I would think 6* might be even better, but then again, my '07 RAM doesn't handle that road very well either. I'll see what the caster reads once I get the tie rod ends installed, and the new relay rod (the current one is bent) installed. The new leaf spring centering pin from Valley Hybrids is an upgrade, meaning just a tad bit bigger diameter. It required drilling the shims and a few of the springs to a slightly larger diameter, but it wasn't very hard to do. And, the whole setup is much more precisely aligned; the round end of the pin fit the axle plate without any slack, and the nut was a tight fit in the bottom plate too.

View attachment 2641549

And, another small job, I got the taillight rock guards that I painted re-installed:

View attachment 2641550

It's a great weekend so far!! But we still have one day to go!! ;)
I ordered the same shims and hoping to tackle this task tomorrow. Here is what I’m thinking of doing. Loosen the u-bolt nuts Remove front tires, put the front of the frame on jacks, undo the u-bolts and take the plate off, put a c-clamp on the leaf pack, remove the center bolt and add the shim and bolt everything back together. Sound about right?

Curtice; do you mind sharing what color code you went with? Sorry if it’s in here or in your thread already. That seals it for me (and the wife agrees): the next 40 is going to be Cadet Blue.

This is called Arles Blue. It’s a mid 90’s Land Rover color. I also liked Cadet Blue a lot. I think this is a bit bluer than that, but it really turned out nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom