What have you done to your 200 Series this week? (26 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Was it a problem to remove the stock cross arms?

No trouble at all, pry under the plastic covers at either end of the factory rails and once you pop that off the crossbars just slide out after loosening the knobs on each. 80/20 Factory Rack Mod is the link for some helpful tips.

Been using an M1101 to haul.

PC070122.JPG

Dropped skids to get ready and grease the driveshaft.. saw one of my rear LCA bolts loose
I also now understand why you should drill the rear LCA skids into place... they are bent up now and won't line up properly

View attachment 2151191

View attachment 2151192
Hey, same thing happened to me, I actually lost the nut and the bolt shifted and got caught crooked, caused the truck to want to death wobble so I immediately knew something was wrong (I didn't drill and anchor either). Here's the thing though, I asked Jason if I needed longer bolts because mine looked like yours and he said no, you just have to "deform" the metal. Sure enough I kept cranking and was able to get a thread exposed. It's not going anywhere now, and I still haven't drilled ha.

Edit: relooking at your photo maybe you did crank it to the point you got the threads showing? Hard to tell because it's so loose.

IMG_20191209_192134.jpg

Hey, same thing happened to me, I actually lost the nut and the bolt shifted and got caught crooked, caused the truck to want to death wobble so I immediately knew something was wrong (I didn't drill and anchor either). Here's the thing though, I asked Jason if I needed longer bolts because mine looked like yours and he said no, you just have to "deform" the metal. Sure enough I kept cranking and was able to get a thread exposed. It's not going anywhere now, and I still haven't drilled ha.

Edit: relooking at your photo maybe you did crank it to the point you got the threads showing? Hard to tell because it's so loose.

View attachment 2153144
I had it cranked down past threads showing initially. But I also had them rotated backwards from wheeling and bashing them up. That might have helped with spinning them loose a bit..
Regardless I will need to bolt down the new set so that it doesn't rub into the control arm like the current ones were. Will also torque em down just to be safe.

Gave my truck a bath, installed the 3dprinted replacement center console cup holder from @bhicks, punched a couple holes in my front license plate and got it installed, and messed around with a few of the FrontRunner accessories - only to find out the truck would not fit in the garage with the side mount bracket on it. Not a huge issue, I'll add the traction board mount to the list of stuff @TRAIL TAILOR needs to include on my new rear bumper :cool:.

Honestly, the more I play around and use this roof rack, the more I miss the Gobi off my 4Runner.

View attachment 2152293

Great looking 200...what size KO2s are those?

^Always impressed watching the metal origami master at work.

And the early 200 series bumper is tacked up. A few small adjustments and it will be ready for production.

J

View attachment 2153713
View attachment 2153714

View attachment 2153715

View attachment 2153716

View attachment 2153718
So cool seeing metal fab work come to life. Fascinating craft. Are you making one for the facelifted '16+ 200 series too?

A little off-topic, but would be cool if some fab shop made something for the 200 Series similar to the Southern Style Offroad High Clearance Hybrid Bumper:
1576039449466.png
1576039548296.png

Lightweight, low profile, winch- and lighting-ready, and flows with the body lines well. I know C4 Fabrication also makes some hybrid bumpers for the 4Runner and Tacoma crowd, clearly not as heavy duty as the mainly bull bar offerings on the Land Cruiser market.

Always wondered why 200's have never had hybrid or prerunner style bumpers readily available.

Just curious, does he now disassemble and take final measurements for production or? Then retack and finish welding up?

The bumper is all CAD, CNC cut and CNC bent. Each piece is in the system now with exact bend allowances, positions, etc. Front shell is 5 pieces (center, 2- wings, 2 wing ends) The frame supports/winch tray is all cut and slotted on 90/180 degree angles. It is now to the jig point of the build. Once the jig is made; the cut and bent panels are placed on the jig in the respective positions and welded.

Same applies for the bullbar/guards. Exact measurements and bend angles/roll degrees are designed and captured in the software.

J

So cool seeing metal fab work come to life. Fascinating craft. Are you making one for the facelifted '16+ 200 series too?

A little off-topic, but would be cool if some fab shop made something for the 200 Series similar to the Southern Style Offroad High Clearance Hybrid Bumper:
View attachment 2153922View attachment 2153923
Lightweight, low profile, winch- and lighting-ready, and flows with the body lines well. I know C4 Fabrication also makes some hybrid bumpers for the 4Runner and Tacoma crowd, clearly not as heavy duty as the mainly bull bar offerings on the Land Cruiser market.

Always wondered why 200's have never had hybrid or prerunner style bumpers readily available.

To sum it up quickly............. close to a 2000# weight variable in base platform between a Tacoma and Cruiser. A hybrid bumper on a 5800+ pound mallcrawler in perspective is more than likely a total loss in a collision. While being a "neat" look; the weight to strength ratio just isn't there.

There are lighter weight bumpers out there and most in a collision are damage multipliers.

If looks are all that matters...........well........ disregard my statements.

@Markuson @TonyP @Atwalz @indycole @Taco2Cruiser and several others here.. These guys would destroy a hybrid style bumper in about 10 minutes, not including the combined damage to the body, etc.

Just my .02

The bumper is all CAD, CNC cut and CNC bent. Each piece is in the system now with exact bend allowances, positions, etc. Front shell is 5 pieces (center, 2- wings, 2 wing ends) The frame supports/winch tray is all cut and slotted on 90/180 degree angles. It is now to the jig point of the build. Once the jig is made; the cut and bent panels are placed on the jig in the respective positions and welded.

Same applies for the bullbar/guards. Exact measurements and bend angles/roll degrees are designed and captured in the software.

J
Thanks, just curious how the process works. Sounds like the CAD process has revolutionized the fabrication industry. This would make an interesting subject for the TV program 'How it's made'.

J

Reading between the lines here, and we might be discussing a front bull bar/guard option for a 2019 at some point. :cool:

BEAUTIFUL WORK!!

Had enough time to grease the rear drive shaft and spiders. Boy was there a cracking sound pushing the new grease thru on the spiders. There was no old grease
Tomorrow I will take care of the front

Adding some charging USB ports to the rear of the console for the teens and their devices for our Christmas trip to Tennessee next week and decided to do some painting to black out more of the weathered wood trim :)

440ec52ad66d469cfeee7837b19143e5.jpg
USB ports to the rear of the console for the teens and their devices for our Christmas trip to Tennessee next week and decided to do some painting to black out more of the weathered wood trim :)

Tomorrow I will take care of the front
This will probably sound stupid, but I figured I had to do front and back at the same time and never wanted to put the whole thing up on jack stands. This changes things. Much easier for a rank amateur like me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom