What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes, I asked the glass shop to order all new trim, sides and top, OEM rivets, and the rubber inserts that cover the rivets on the side trim. Mine had been clearly reused for the previous glass repair and were deformed and ugly. The shop provided a dam kit, which I was fine with.

If they don't mind you providing your own parts, Partsouq has them much cheaper than the local dealer, as usual.
WIndscreen guys said that they drill those rivet holes bigger to fit the large screws o_O . How destructive and ridiculously lazy.
But he also said he'll leave it to the winscreen guys , they know what they are doing.
I told him aluminium screws or bigger rivets. The guy doing the rust/spray paint repair said the original rivets have a plastic coating and they spray the hole/screw with the same stuff as well.
Might just call that guy and tell him to make sure whoever does it does it right. Would be a shame to have his work ruined by some dodgey windscreen installer.

Swap from AT to MT?
Yes. Basically borrowing a few ideas from my 80 series and applying to the 100 series platform.

Last edited:
WIndscreen guys said that they drill those rivet holes bigger to fit the large screws o_O . How destructive and ridiculously lazy.
But he also said he'll leave it to the winscreen guys , they know what they are doing.
I told him aluminium screws or bigger rivets. The guy doing the rust/spray paint repair said the original rivets have a plastic coating and they spray the hole/screw with the same stuff as well.
Might just call that guy and tell him to make sure whoever does it does it right. Would be a shame to have his work ruined by some dodgey windscreen installer.
Another option would be to delete the rivet holes and trim completely. If not satisfied, could add the holes, rivets and trim back in.

Another option would be to delete the rivet holes and trim completely. If not satisfied, could add the holes, rivets and trim back in.
Yes, I was very intrigued by the side trim delete with the Tacoma upper molding. In the end, I think that will wait until I'm ready for a repaint (if ever). I should be good for quite a few years now. But @highkick05 definitely insist on having the new glass and trim installed properly if you're going to all this effort. If the holes aren't already oversized, they should use the factory rivets. If they've been drilled out, I'd see if you can find some larger plastic coated rivets. I just don't see how you'd get a self tapping screw in without scraping off whatever edge of the hole is prepped and primed with, and there's the beginnings of the rust again.

Yes, I was very intrigued by the side trim delete with the Tacoma upper molding. In the end, I think that will wait until I'm ready for a repaint (if ever). I should be good for quite a few years now. But @highkick05 definitely insist on having the new glass and trim installed properly if you're going to all this effort. If the holes aren't already oversized, they should use the factory rivets. If they've been drilled out, I'd see if you can find some larger plastic coated rivets. I just don't see how you'd get a self tapping screw in without scraping off whatever edge of the hole is prepped and primed with, and there's the beginnings of the rust again.
Would think it would be combination of protective/seal and type of metal would give the best protection from corrosion/rust.
Guy I talked to seemed to think the installers know what they are doing, and did bring up the point of holes being drilled out for the screws.
I'll give the sprayer a heads up and trust that it gets done well.

Is this a gx conversion kit??

Maybe I missed an earlier post, but where did you find this?? Did you import? I google GX conversation kit* and nothing came up?

*Ignore my stupid sense of humor ( and yes I know the gx does not have proper barn doors.) Seriously, this is awesome.
Thanks, it’s not a conversion kit but more of section cut from a HZJ105x I sourced it from the help of @joekatana and @TRAIL TAILOR. Perhaps Joe can help you source another.

Thanks, it’s not a conversion kit but more of section cut from a HZJ105x I sourced it from the help of @joekatana and @TRAIL TAILOR. Perhaps Joe can help you source another.
I think will just have to watch your process for now. Too much for me!

Dropping off the 100 at the dealer for some cv boot love. They rebooted my passenger cv 1.5 years ago, but now the clamp is leaking so they are taking care of that. While there i am having them reboot the drivers side since an inner clamp on that one is leaking.

My local "trusted" toyota shop was just wanting to throw cv's at it when i had it in for an oil leak. We all know the fears of non oem cv's which they were going to throw at it. So paying to reboot both isn't toooooo bad when you do them 1.5 years apart.

Also picked up valve cover gasket and bolts from the other toyota dealer by my house that lets you order online for cheap. I was going to fix that Friday, but of course somehow my front heavy week shifted to a front and back heavy week.

Windscreen/rust gone/done. Plastic coated rivets used, wasn't an immaculate job but done the right way atleast. Reused trims and moldings.
I like the rear vision mirror placed higher. stays out of my path of vision.

273526332_2198338166980565_7589967998145931649_n.jpg

273535200_450554026802575_2938951050971156276_n.jpg

273177170_344391727550133_2030764487461563967_n.jpg

273483448_477921587175285_6526375934988917946_n.jpg

Windscreen/rust gone/done. Plastic coated rivets used, wasn't an immaculate job but done the right way atleast. Reused trims and moldings.
I like the rear vision mirror placed higher. stays out of my path of vision.

View attachment 2926289

View attachment 2926290

View attachment 2926291

View attachment 2926292
How’s the wind noise? I just got mine replaced but I can still hearing that whooshing noise at 70-80mph.

Also, how do you like the dash pad? I saw that for sale by wellvisors and I wonder how many people actually use them and why. Is it for the glare?

How’s the wind noise? I just got mine replaced but I can still hearing that whooshing noise at 70-80mph.

Also, how do you like the dash pad? I saw that for sale by wellvisors and I wonder how many people actually use them and why. Is it for the glare?
Considering HK is in Oz, it’ll probably be there to protect the dash from the sun’s heat and UV (if not already cracked)

No wind noise, some water leaking on my foot. Has stopped though, no doubt left over residue from the sand blaster or so.
I'll keep pumping the wiper jets to see if its still doing it. Gee car is due for a good clean too.
dash pad yeah for stopping sun damage. I used to drive taxis for a living so just a nice look too. Our sun glare is crazy in Australia and the LC lets a lot in from those big windows. Just booked my car in for a full spectre ceramic tinting just then too. Everything but my drivers and passenger tint is deformed and scratched up so will get it all dont at once. Will report back and tell what the difference is on IR/Sun glare/heat rejection feels like. Pretty sure there's just a dye on it atm.

No wind noise, some water leaking on my foot. Has stopped though, no doubt left over residue from the sand blaster or so.
I'll keep pumping the wiper jets to see if its still doing it. Gee car is due for a good clean too.
dash pad yeah for stopping sun damage. I used to drive taxis for a living so just a nice look too. Our sun glare is crazy in Australia and the LC lets a lot in from those big windows. Just booked my car in for a full spectre ceramic tinting just then too. Everything but my drivers and passenger tint is deformed and scratched up so will get it all dont at once. Will report back and tell what the difference is on IR/Sun glare/heat rejection feels like. Pretty sure there's just a dye on it atm.
Yeah that makes sense. I definitely notice the glare on sunny days in the reflection on my windshield.

Excited to see photos of that tint all done up!

As for the wind noise, I may follow up with my installer. He gave me a lifetime warranty. All new parts but not rivets and not Toyota glass. He seemed really knowledgeable, maybe just missed a few spots with the sealant? Not sure.

Finally did the power steering fluid exchange.
DDF86ED1-D133-4B2D-92AA-374068A01F8C.jpeg

Took me 2 quarts to push out the old fluid out until the return (low press) line was giving out the new bright red dex type atf.

Reservoir has been serviced as well and is currently drying up. The amount of sediments I got is mind blowing. Glad I did it and I highly recommend you should too. Super easy.
0C8CE7E0-EADF-4DEC-B879-8C95045569F5.jpeg

Finally did the power steering fluid exchange.
View attachment 2928239
Took me 2 quarts to push out the old fluid out until the return (low press) line was giving out the new bright red dex type atf.

Reservoir has been serviced as well and is currently drying up. The amount of sediments I got is mind blowing. Glad I did it and I highly recommend you should too. Super easy.
View attachment 2928236
got a link to good instructional?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom