What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (60 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

About to install the Ass-Fur skids. Waiting on a Fumoto valve from Amazon so I can do one last oil change before install. I really wish they wouldn't put their logo on the front skid.

If it really bugs you, some of JB Weld’s epoxy putty smushed into the letters and then sanded smooth does a pretty good job as a filler prior to painting. I did not paint my skid, but my roof rack fairing has held up well with a thorough sand/prime/paint application.

Installed the @DesertDoesIt Seat Jackers this past weekend. 1 banana job, quality of the product is outstanding and I like the new seat position so far. Very convenient place to put the fire extinguisher, too. Velcro straps are temporary, looking for something a little quicker to detach if the excrement hits the extraction unit.

View attachment 2798080View attachment 2798081
I'm in luck Mine have the bolt holes for the storage bracket. I'll look to order the bracket. Thanks for sharing.

Got that new, new Ironman 4x4 Classic Off Road bumper installed and relocated my Road Safe recovery points to the front with new 80mm long Grade 10 bolts. Stout. This is the way.

79E18CA3-289D-437E-9783-062E3400568E.jpeg
6642AF7C-D6F9-4ED7-9A4C-AB66C87E6A75.jpeg
7067323B-E1A5-4A18-9304-706FF574E0B2.jpeg
CD3D7659-1CFD-4BC2-A18B-597C34A1C71F.jpeg
D8501123-0B90-4730-B912-76AAB4012A3A.jpeg

Last edited:
Finally got done documenting parts of the repairs I did like a month ago. Car is running like brand new. Pretty sure it was worth all the hassles and sore joints.

If you have kids you're probably familiar with the book, "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie!". That's how it's been this week with the Landcruiser. After a spell of deferred maintenance I decided to get after the CV's and brakes. I had redone the CV's three years ago, but they were rebuilds and I wasn't happy with them, so I ordered new ones from Toyota and also ordered up an "Axle Kit" from StopTech for the front brakes. After tearing everything apart, I opted to replace the hub bearings and seals (inner and outer) but the seals in the axle tubes look good, so will keep those. Then looking at the spherical ball joints in the Total Chaos UCAs, I noticed a little slop, so ordered a set of replacements. The urethane bushings look to be in great shape, so those will go back in. I bought a bearing replacement tool set from HF.

First off, the lower control arm ball joint was a cast-iron B to break free. Pickle fork wouldn't budge it, so back to the store for a puller. I thought that wasn't going to work either, but it finally popped loose sounding like a gunshot. (To the mechanic who did my last CV's "Buy a friggin' torque wrench and some anti-seize"!) Seriously, this guy used a rattle gun to install a 12mm bolt that held one of the ABS sensor brackets and cracked it. The bolt head sheared off when I started to loosen it with a shorty wrench!

First off, the lower control arm ball joint was a cast-iron B to break free. Pickle fork wouldn't budge it, so back to the store for a puller. I thought that wasn't going to work either, but it finally popped loose sounding like a gunshot. (To the mechanic who did my last CV's "Buy a friggin' torque wrench and some anti-seize"!) Seriously, this guy used a rattle gun to install a 12mm bolt that held one of the ABS sensor brackets and cracked it. The bolt head sheared off when I started to loosen it with a shorty wrench!

And that is why many of us are leary of letting others touch our toys.

Oh man, I should have been clearer. Totally serious. Was trying to figure out what’s needed to pull the side fenders. I wanted to get under my passenger side.
I did a brief write up several years ago. It's not that involved.

83E47D4F-1715-4EF5-9FCD-FA5E3890A07C.jpeg
042AD9B8-6774-4907-8A09-CA6479BD855C.jpeg
Mild carnage… i think its time for rock sliders. I’m not too bothered by the damage itself I’m just considering how much worse it could be. The rust sucks too.

This is bittersweet because it serves as a battlescar. I finally worked up the courage to take my mallcrawler on an intermediate ohv trail, rather than the beginner trails ive run over and over again. I came across an early 2000s jeep and early 2000s 2wd ranger running the trail ahead of me, all new to offroading themselves. We helped spot eachother through some gnarly ruts and i towed the 2wd ranger twice out of said ruts.

All in all it was a great time, and I’m surprised with how well my truck did.

View attachment 2798813View attachment 2798799Mild carnage… i think its time for rock sliders. I’m not too bothered by the damage itself I’m just considering how much worse it could be. The rust sucks too.

This is bittersweet because it serves as a battlescar. I finally worked up the courage to take my mallcrawler on an intermediate ohv trail, rather than the beginner trails ive run over and over again. I came across an early 2000s jeep and early 2000s 2wd ranger running the trail ahead of me, all new to offroading themselves. We helped spot eachother through some gnarly ruts and i towed the 2wd ranger twice out of said ruts.

That rust sucks, but it's fairly common. Have you tried removing the rear mud guards and inspect the low quarter panels? I bet you'll find the same situation. I'm fixing the same (ok, not that bad :) ) on my 100. And I did previously on my j90. Cut, clean, weld, paint.
I'm often considering to cut the rocker panel entirely and weld a square tube (2x6" maybe?) instead. But I guess I'm waiting until the rust damage is irreversible

That rust sucks, but it's fairly common. Have you tried removing the rear mud guards and inspect the low quarter panels? I bet you'll find the same situation. I'm fixing the same (ok, not that bad :) ) on my 100. And I did previously on my j90. Cut, clean, weld, paint.
I'm often considering to cut the rocker panel entirely and weld a square tube (2x6" maybe?) instead. But I guess I'm waiting until the rust damage is irreversible
I am in the process now, I plan to do a write up on how I did it. Strangely you are even correct on the tubing lol, I am using 2x6.

AC will go to 3 but not MAX/HI anymore, seems to cut off. Weird.

That looks like The (Oregon) Coast Range. Brown’s Camp maybe?

View attachment 2798813View attachment 2798799Mild carnage… i think its time for rock sliders. I’m not too bothered by the damage itself I’m just considering how much worse it could be. The rust sucks too.

Is that up near Brown’s Camp by chance? Your profile mentions that you’re in Oregon. If you’re in the Portland (Hillsboro) area and want to check out some sliders I have a set of MetalTechs on mine.

Is that up near Brown’s Camp by chance? Your profile mentions that you’re in Oregon. If you’re in the Portland (Hillsboro) area and want to check out some sliders I have a set of MetalTechs on mine.
Yup! Are you looking to sell? I’m thinking about holding off on buying for now since i work in a fab shop and my boss has mentioned helping me make some, but curious about used prices nonetheless.

Yup! Are you looking to sell? I’m thinking about holding off on buying for now since i work in a fab shop and my boss has mentioned helping me make some, but curious about used prices nonetheless.
Mine aren't for sale, but you can take a look to get some ideas if you want. These have saved me from damage a number of times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom