What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (129 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oo, my friend you have no idea, do you? A fiancée is not "the boss", even a new bride is not "the boss". Your current false sense of security, is how she is conditioning you! Sorry you had to hear it from me.

More on the topic, @Jczajka was there a need to take the intake off? like a leaky intake gasket or replacing the starter?
I ask because my truck as a mice nest under the intake but when I consulted with Paul @2001LC he was really against the idea of pulling the intake unless there is a real need for it. He was of the opinion that it can cause debris to fall into the cylinder head.

Replacing my starter, so it was off anyway. Saw some oil puddled up in the intake and based on pictures I've seen here, figured it was worth cleaning. Pools of oil in the catch ports in the bottom part of the manifold and oily carbon build in the bottom of each port. The gasket was $16, so just my time cleaning. I cleaned with compressed air, vacuum, etc. before taking anything apart. A good engine was before hand would be advisable too, but it was snowy and in the 20s-30s when I started.

My wife wants to redo our bathroom that was built in the 60s by the older couple that we bought our house from. I think she would take tub damage as an excuse to fast track the bathroom remodel. I want to install a blending valve for my hose hookup outside, so I can have a warm bike wash in the winter. Would be nice to do a super hot final parts was outside with the hose as well.

My wife doesn't like the smell of the spare tire inside the truck, so ...
IMG_8725.jpeg

In case anyone is wondering, Kenda Klever 275/70R18 spare will NOT fit. It's wedged solidly between the hitch and the panhard bar. Time for an alternate solution!

Did you do the spare tire mod? What year do you have? What does Kenda say is the OD of that tire?

Started cleaning up the rust on the interior of my 2005 LC. Took off rear mat set plate and discovered some rust there. Then I removed the rubber seal around the rear opening and discovered some rust in that area as well. Most likely cause by the leak on the top rear red light and the PO's love of the beach. Found a lot of sand. From there I started removing the striker plates, carpet, and side mouldings.

There were a bunch of surface rust on the striker plates. I was wondering if I should paint it with the Eastwood rust encapsulator that I have, or just put sort oil on them to keep it rust free? What would you guys do?
PXL_20210307_214004722.jpg

Also, I was wondering what this plastic disk is? There is some rust around it. Probably from water pooling there. I tried to use some trim remover to pry it out. But it seems very stuck and I don't want to damage it unnecessarily.

PXL_20210310_000627191.jpg

Did you do the spare tire mod? What year do you have? What does Kenda say is the OD of that tire?
Mine is an ’06 LX470. I have not tried the spare tire mod. Do you have any idea how much additional height you gain from doing that? According to Kenda’s site the OD is 33.43. Just from eyeballing the fit, I think that even it I moved the tire up three inches it would still be at risk of being hit by the panhard bar.

Mine is an ’06 LX470. I have not tried the spare tire mod. Do you have any idea how much additional height you gain from doing that? According to Kenda’s site the OD is 33.43. Just from eyeballing the fit, I think that even it I moved the tire up three inches it would still be at risk of being hit by the panhard bar.

Search my name here or scroll up in this thread and you can see my video I did with the spare tire mod. This will give you an idea of the clearance I have with the stock hitch and my 275/70R18 Toyo Open Country AT3. The Toyo website says my exact tire is 33.2 OD. I have my spare aired up to 40 psi and it fits, but I did have to angle it and massage it in to position. You will be very close if you do the mod, but you might have to air down or change to a different brand of 275/70R18 to make it work. Good luck!

Search my name here or scroll up in this thread and you can see my video I did with the spare tire mod. This will give you an idea of the clearance I have with the stock hitch and my 275/70R18 Toyo Open Country AT3. The Toyo website says my exact tire is 33.2 OD. I have my spare aired up to 40 psi and it fits, but I did have to angle it and massage it in to position. You will be very close if you do the mod, but you might have to air down or change to a different brand of 275/70R18 to make it work. Good luck!
Thank you! I guess I know what I’m doing to my 100 next week!

Just over halfway through my project. Today I went through the passenger front driveline. Removed a crappy aftermarket CV and replaced with OEM and new drive flange. Almost no flange to snap ring gap. Replaced wheel bearings with Koyo. Toyota seal on the inner bearing. New Toyota seal on the back of the steering knuckle. New Bosch brake rotor and pads. New 555 Lower ball joint. I started the disassembly of the other side. Tomorrow I hope finish the driver's side with all the same things.

Started cleaning up the rust on the interior of my 2005 LC. Took off rear mat set plate and discovered some rust there. Then I removed the rubber seal around the rear opening and discovered some rust in that area as well. Most likely cause by the leak on the top rear red light and the PO's love of the beach. Found a lot of sand. From there I started removing the striker plates, carpet, and side mouldings.

There were a bunch of surface rust on the striker plates. I was wondering if I should paint it with the Eastwood rust encapsulator that I have, or just put sort oil on them to keep it rust free? What would you guys do?
View attachment 2610020

Also, I was wondering what this plastic disk is? There is some rust around it. Probably from water pooling there. I tried to use some trim remover to pry it out. But it seems very stuck and I don't want to damage it unnecessarily.

View attachment 2610022
I would consider media blasting those and having them re-cadmium plated.

I have the same issue (though not as bad as yours). I was just going to grind the rust out, spray it with some rust remover, clean, and make sure they're greased up. I read somewhere here that the third row seats actually have some removable plastic covers on them you can place over the anchors when they're not in use. Can't confirm though.

I have the same issue (though not as bad as yours). I was just going to grind the rust out, spray it with some rust remover, clean, and make sure they're greased up. I read somewhere here that the third row seats actually have some removable plastic covers on them you can place over the anchors when they're not in use. Can't confirm though.
I use white vinegar and it removed most of the surface rust. I looked up cadmium plating. But I think that is outside my budget at this time. Does anyone know what does the black plastic round thing do? It's very difficult to pry out.

Those covers definitely exist, or did by at least 2003.

I use white vinegar and it removed most of the surface rust. I looked up cadmium plating. But I think that is outside my budget at this time. Does anyone know what does the black plastic round thing do? It's very difficult to pry out.
Is the round cover closer to the back of the 2nd row seat? Is it possible the access point for the child seat anchor that can be installed? I remember seeing another user talk about installing it within the last ~4 months or so but I dont recall exactly who it was.

Is the round cover closer to the back of the 2nd row seat? Is it possible the access point for the child seat anchor that can be installed? I remember seeing another user talk about installing it within the last ~4 months or so but I dont recall exactly who it was.
I am not sure. I've stripped the carpet and seats from the rear of the LC. But I'm sure the seats come with places for you to anchor your child seats. Unless you are thinking of installing on one of those striker plate locations?

I am not sure. I've stripped the carpet and seats from the rear of the LC. But I'm sure the seats come with places for you to anchor your child seats. Unless you are thinking of installing on one of those striker plate locations?
I couldnt find the the picture but I think this talks about what I was remembering.

No LATCH anchors on that seat at all--you have to install the child seat using the seatbelt (pull it all the way out and let it slowly retract and it'll lock, making the child seat pretty secure). The anchor I was referring to was for the rear strap of a forward-facing child seat. There are three of these anchors, all tucked away beneath carpet tabs in the rear cargo area about 8" behind the center of each 2nd row seat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom