What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (55 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Installed the Rhino Rack Backbone and Pioneer platform roof rack.
PXL_20210124_200651672.jpeg

Installed the Rhino Rack Backbone and Pioneer platform roof rack.View attachment 2564479
got me one of these to go on. waiting for the mountings and feet. just ordered 1220mm C channel cross bars for my rod holders/ski carriers.

That the 2128MM X 1236MM or the size up?

got me one of these to go on. waiting for the mountings and feet. just ordered 1220mm C channel cross bars for my rod holders/ski carriers.

That the 2128MM X 1236MM or the size up?
It is the 76x49 in or 1930x1244mm.

Looks great. You notice much wind noise?
Haven't had it on the road since installation. It is not my daily driver, just a weekend and camping vehicle. Will be adding more items as they come in. Waiting on bumpers, sliders, tires and suspension lift.

Took mine on it's first 500 miles road trip with the fresh air bags, wheelers extended bump stops and 32" Blizzak tires on 18" OEM wheels. It was like driving a completely different truck! It was super smooth, responsive and QUITE! Pretty sure almost all of that is due to the tires.
I never imagined how much of a difference a C load rated 32" tire would make compared to E rated 33" BFG KO2s. My speedometer was spot on, truck accelerated better, stopped better, and was quieter on the road even though cruising at 80 MPH the RPM were slightly higher at 2900 compared to my usual 33" tires.

My BFG KO2s are great for off road use and are probably going to last me a long long time but they are not as quite as a street tire, don't do particularly good in winter, and are pretty hapless in muddy situations. I bought them as a good compromise between tough, off road tires and everyday use off road tires.
This makes me wonder if I should really get rid of them and get following 3 tires setup?
Set 1: 34" Aggressive Mud tires on 16" wheels. Use them only for off roady trips
Set 2: 32" Bridgestone Blizzak on 18". Dedicated for winter
Set 3: 32" Michelin Defender on 18" for year round use.

Thoughts, experiences to share?

I love winter tires. I am partial to Michelin. But the confidence you get from the performance in snow and on slick roads is so comforting. Put em on the Cheyenne, x3, 330xi, n outback. Its the softer rubber and siping.
I also like to find a stock set of wheels from the bone yard to mount them on so its easy to swap out.
Plus it is attractive when selling the vehicle.

I happened to be in the right place at the right time and caught these on EBay. Still in the wrapper and $85 shipped. I have a 2000, but I’m pretty sure they are nearly identical. Pays to be patient, sometimes.

556E700A-95E5-4B33-AC6D-D8087EDDCB60.jpeg

Got the TORA engine Fan & 2 x 9" Thermo fans in today. So started the job of pulling the old shroad and fan off.
Did the Thermo's with it all off, taking some bolts off to push the radiator foward to mount them both.
Got new nuts for the main fan cos I did round a couple - lol virtually impoassible not to do.
It's all on now. Gave up cos night time, just gotta tighten the engine fan nuts and wire the thermo's both up to everything.
The fan shroud was in a much worse state than I originally thought. Missing the entire bottom sections. Fan practically in same state, horrible.
Oh, and forgot, got the extended bolts for pushing the A/T cooler foward. Job for tommorrow too.

View attachment 2564419

View attachment 2564420

View attachment 2564421

View attachment 2564422
So you’ve got a new clutch-driven fan and new shroud, AND two electric pusher fans??

I assume one of those is mainly for addressing your A/C performance woes, but, with two, couldn’t you have done away with the crank-driven fan and shroud altogether?

So earlier today, in order to get a slight lift and increased payload in my LC 100, I had OME 863 springs installed in the rear. To counteract the rear lift, I had my mechanic crank the torsion bars to the max. From the center of the hub to the fender, I'm currently sitting at roughly 20.25" in the front, and 24" in the rear. Is that too high in the back? From the naked eye, it looks a little too raised in the back, but I can't be certain. What do guys and gals think?

Any info would be very appreciated.

So earlier today, in order to get a slight lift and increased payload in my LC 100, I had OME 863 springs installed in the rear. To counteract the rear lift, I had my mechanic crank the torsion bars to the max. From the center of the hub to the fender, I'm currently sitting at roughly 20.25" in the front, and 24" in the rear. Is that too high in the back? From the naked eye, it looks a little too raised in the back, but I can't be certain. What do guys and gals think?

Give it some time. The rear springs will settle a bit. You probably will need to reindex your torsion bars to get a bit more lift in the front.

Put a couple hundred pounds of weight in the back full time. That’s what the 863s were designed for, not for lift.

Add some weight and ask the mechanic to crank your Johnson valve.

Finished finally, half a day job to finish it off.
143003045_230315128739800_40229619837499619_n.jpg

143233853_413535999755737_215612082033206133_n.jpg

142825528_2930129920548994_4146964130390722542_n.jpg

Much, much better. The A/C compressor actually started cycling correcting @ idle. Due more I think to that new fan/shroud.

Had to custom make my own relay, cos the spare one I had wasn't for a thermo fan. Took the longest.

So you’ve got a new clutch-driven fan and new shroud, AND two electric pusher fans??

I assume one of those is mainly for addressing your A/C performance woes, but, with two, couldn’t you have done away with the crank-driven fan and shroud altogether?
I've only just repaird the cluthc-driven fan and shroud, the A/C cycling is a new thing to me. Found it weird seemed to be idling down correctly and back up. Can't remember it doing that before ? Bah the condenser fans will be for stand-still cooling (stop lights, parked up) its a sauna in there on 40 celcius days.
Although it seemed to work pretty well driving to the shop without the thermo's not connected and the new fan/shroud. It still was pretty poor. Will give a review once I get back from Quobba station, post some pics of that later. 600km, headland of WA home of pelagics galore. Should be fun.

The UpperHalf asked me what I wanted for my birthday, so without missing a beat I suggested the SS1 - Basic Platform... :banana:

I needed a little organization out back but I didn't want to go with a drawer system right now so the order is in the pipeline. Thanks to this site for all the options out there and the reporting on performances. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom