What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (78 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1800+ miles of round trip memories!
Still the most comfortable rig I’ve ever road tripped in.
(On top of the standard run from Durango to Montrose, Douglas pass, north of Grand Junction/Fruita was a bonus!)

4C4A181A-55DE-4C64-996C-88945C8BA6B4.jpeg

6BE2B592-EF3E-4ABA-8ED0-DAC56E109262.jpeg

027C4302-73CB-48D8-9DB6-92FA29051F06.jpeg

FE088B0A-0C6D-4D20-9716-10CC27C5B631.jpeg

Where did you order the Bora spacers from?

took a few weeks since they are made to order.

7/27/2019 - 1st post from another newby with a 2005 100 Series with 195k miles. This week completed my ARB Drawer installation. It took almost 2 months for all the parts to come in from Australia. Last month I completed a longer term project where I added the SLEE aux battery tray with the compressor mount. After getting the compressor installed, I ran 1 #1 gauge + cable from the Odessey aux battery to the rear left corner and set up a switched power center with 12vdc gauge, some USB power points and another 12vdc power outlet. Now I can charge my phone without leaving the key in the switch. I also found a tailgate kit that provides some extra storage access in the tailgate for some light weight items. Next week will address the drip in the passenger floorboard. Waiting for the Toyota evaporator gasket to come in before tearing into the source of the drip. I carefully read all the posted tips in the forum and they were very helpful. Key to success in Texas is taking your time, reading the forums and working in an air conditioned garage! Hats off to all the posters out there that help us new guys get our vehicles upgraded and maintained. Pretty awesome community.

View attachment 2041523

View attachment 2041524
Where did you get the storage for the tailgate?

I nice work. So a newby question, I’ve have many paint marks on my bumpers and no luck getting them out. How did you fix yours?
Wet sand with a fine grit.

What kind of floor matts are those? Look really nice.

By a company called "Star Diamond". I have a link somewhere in my build thread. I really like them, very heavy and they stay still. I think I paid like $170ish for 1st row, 2nd row, and a small section for the 3rd row when in use. They also make a cargo mat I'd still like to get.

20181115_172047.jpg

20181115_172022.jpg

By a company called "Star Diamond". I have a link somewhere in my build thread. I really like them, very heavy and they stay still. I think I paid like $170ish for 1st row, 2nd row, and a small section for the 3rd row when in use. They also make a cargo mat I'd still like to get.

View attachment 2044046

View attachment 2044047
Yeah they look great and the black is a nice contrast. Thanks!

Hey
Bought a snorkel for $65 on fleabay
Installing was fairly easy and straightforward. Very surprised at the quality.

Hey what the hell.. can you link the one you got...i'll take the plung and get it installed.. Also any thing we should be looking out for during install? Thanks

Last edited:
Hey

Hey what the hell.. can you like the one you got...i'll take the plung and get it installed.. Also any thing we should be looking out for during install? Thanks

I have installed the same eBay snorkel and it’s reakly simple. I bought a new holesaw just to make sure it was sharp but it was easy. Hardest part is getting the silicone hose on from the intake

Over the course of around 2 weeks on and off I replaced my lower control arms, all new bearings and seals, a new OEM CV axle (which I wasn’t planning on doing until I saw a torn inner CV boot), greased driveshafts, and new brakes and rotors all around. Also re-sprayed my weathered front grill while waiting for new tools and parts to come in.

As I took things apart, I found that a few things weren’t right: very little spindle grease on both sides, front brakes had no pad retainers and were rigged in place with some sort of retainer.
8F06A4C3-260A-4E64-B844-67465912ED9E.jpeg

Finally finished the other day and went for a test drive and found that the outer CV boot for my other axle started slinging grease. I don’t think I’ll ever get this thing perfectly baselined lol. There’s my next job. Had my alignment done yesterday and caster was way off and had positive camber. Surprisingly, the rear barely needed any adjustment despite the taller spring setup.

Anyway, it was a good learning experience. Never packed bearings and spindles or disassembled an assembly like that before. I also spent an embarrassing amount of time trying to put the c clips back on the axle until I bought another tool (which barely made things any better) and figured out a technique that worked well for me. Steering response is way better now. Contemplating getting a diff drop after test driving with my torsion bars set low...it felt noticeably smoother before I lifted it back up.

Got back last week from 4300 miles on the road - Everett->SLC->Zion->Grand Canyon->Monument Valley->Moab->Jackson Hole/Yellowstone->Everett with a lot of side trips. Not too much off of the road, but I still really enjoyed having the LX in front of my steering wheel. Definitely glad I had done nav-delete earlier, and that I was mentally prepared for paying for about 430 gallons of gasoline. :cheers:

While in Zion we drove up the Kolob (Heights?) road and to the reservoir at the end. A little fun driving the dirt track around the reservoir including a big mud pit, and got turned around at a washout I wasn't prepared to attempt. A beautiful drive though - just as spectacular as Zion itself.
2019 Road Trip - 3 (1).jpg

Driving around the floor of Monument Valley - really took an effort to hit all of the sand, rocks, dips.. should have known from the groans of 3/4 of the passengers (my 4yo son only yelled "Again! Again") that off roading in Moab was going to be vetoed!
2019 Road Trip - 2 (1).jpg

A little side trip from Monument Valley up the Moki Dugway (fun for me, nerve wracking for passengers!) and to Natural Bridges.
2019 Road Trip - 6 (1).jpg

The one 'trail' we attempted to run - Willow Flats Road from inside Arches out to the highway. Made it as far as the gate before turning around. Nobody but me was having fun, and 'fun' could be exchanged for any number of other more extreme adjectives. Despite the reliability of my truck and the 100s in general, I kept thinking 'if I break this, in 100 degree heat, miles from anyone, my wife will murder me and live off of my life insurance'. Only knocked the hitch on the ground twice, no new scratches, and nothing inside rattled loose. I did hit a medium sized rock going about 20mph with the right front tire - definitely an 'oh s***' moment for all of us - which reminded me to slow down and pay close attention. Never found the dinosaur footprints at the gate - bummer moment. My wife's closing comment as we rejoined the main road inside Arches "Now, do you have that out of your system?"

Side note - I loved watching a really set up 80 from an outfit in Moab pull into the little picnic area at the start of WF road, disgorge a family + driver, and set up a really good looking picnic. We headed down the road before they wrapped up, and I kept saying 'man, that outfit and that truck, they are going to do this road with that family and have a great time' but I never saw them, and when we got back to the picnic area they had gone - we had a great laugh thinking about some family paying a ton of money for a tour of Arches in a totally set up off road Cruiser and never getting off the asphalt. (I mean, I paid a ton of money for a Cruiser and barely got off the asphalt but... that's different!)
2019 Road Trip - 7 (1).jpg

The muck at the end of 4300 miles - it took a while to restore a gleam and polish.
2019 Road Trip - 5 (1).jpg

A great road trip despite the heavy fuel consumption and cost. My only notice, and I appreciate any thoughts on this, was how hard it was to maintain speed going up over the steep passes. Our tent trailer is probably under 2k loaded down, and we've got another 750-1000lbs in the truck in people and gear, but I was really struggling to keep it over 25mph going up some of the roads. We went over a pass (Douglas Pass?) in Colorado on 139 that was around 8k feet and just poked up and over it, same climbing out of Flaming Gorge, and Jackson (? - West of Jackson Hole on 22) Pass were the same story. I'm not in any hurry, and I let the 4 speed kind've feel its way ( a lot of 2nd gear) but does this sound pretty normal? I didn't get a feel like anything was wrong, I could accelerate if I forced it to downshift, but I was surprised at how ineffective 3rd gear felt and I didn't even think about 4th.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom