What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (112 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Prepping for the 1300 mile ride to HIH7 and a Western Rocky back country adventure before hand, I wanted to confirm the front wheel bearing preload was still in spec. I replaced the front wheel bearings almost a year ago, and I've read that bearing preload can lessen over time especially with spacers and larger tires, which leads to loose bearings, claw washer scoring, eventually spindle wear. It was also time to lube the spindle bearings, and while I had it apart I would swap the flanges from side to side and pull the brake pads and clean the calipers.

I found that having spacers is an absolute PITA added step in removing the flanges. Even though I had coated mating surfaces with anti seize beforehand, they were pretty well stuck to the hub and it took some added time (and effort) to simply remove them (arrgh). After removing the flange, brake rotor, with a digital fish scale I checked the passenger side bearing, and the preload ranged from: 1.6 to 2.1 LBF (not good) I had originally set these to about 14LBF. So in 12 mo and 10k miles the preload diminished considerably. The driver side preload ranged from 5.1 to 6.2 LBF. So is it the 30mm spacers, and larger tires that contributed to diminished preload so soon??

I then had my first opportunity to use my Slee spindle bearing greasing tool. I had previously used the "push method" and I can say that the Slee tool is night & day easier and faster to use. Screw it on, pump in the grease, spin it off put it back in the tool box.

I tightened up preload on each side to get to an average range of 14-16LBF and buttoned it back up- err until I couldn't remember if I had folded the lock washer over the lock nut on the driver side- DANG IT- so I pulled the flange back off to check and good thing I did because I had forgotten. Buttoned everything back up with a new flange gasket, reused the cone washers related hardware since that was in good shape and replaced 10k ago.

Getting the axle to present the groove to install the snap ring took some work. Since I added a fair amount of grease to the spindle the grease needed to be squished back into the spindle and flange so it took @2001LC method of using a gear puller, and adjustable clamp against the rotor to pull the axle outward enough to install the snap ring. The snap ring gap hadn't changed significantly in 10k miles and was in spec. so no need to go up to the next size. I reused what came off. Note: Snap ring is intended be a one time use part ( as are the cone washers), but if carefully removed and the gap between the ends hasn't widened, its probably ok to reuse. If its been stretched, its a good idea to replace.

I have had an intermittent front right brake squeal so I pulled the pads and emptied a can of brake cleaner on both rotors. I found one of the pads had a small stone in the groove that lets the dust fall out- and had been collecting a fair amount of brake dust. The insulating covers that go on the back of the pads were dry as well so those got a light coating of copper anti seize. Hopefully this takes care of the intermittent squeal.

Spacers went back on with a fresh and more liberal coating of anti seize. Torquing the nuts that holds the spacer on presents some challenge. You cat really get a good torque setting since the rotor wants to spin. I had to brace to rotor with a breaker bar from the ground and between two lugs to lock it inlace to keep it from rotating. Sorry I should have stalled a pic of this for you guys to see- it works pretty well.

Went for a test drive, and everything feels great. Flange temps were around 125-130F after 20 minute ride so I'm assessing the bearing preload wasn't overdone. I came to the conclusion I will have new wheels with a 20-25mm offset and get rid of the spacers. Dealing with trying to remove them trailside should I need to would not be fun and some wheel bling won't hurt either. I love my Dissent bumper, but dang it, I hit my head a few times on the corner of it while I had my head in the wheel well. I think I need a corner guard when Im working in the wheel well, cause my short term memory sucks.

Almost ready to roll for HIH7.

I replaced the heater hose tees and heater hoses. Thought that would be easier than just replacing the tees and perhaps breaking one off. I cut the hoses between tees to prevent breaking a tee. Getting the hoses off the metal heater core and other metal fittings were a pain in the butt. The hoses were really stuck. I'm not sure the hoses and tees have ever been replaced, all the clamps were turned in hard to access positions. Remarkably, the old tees look good. Installation went pretty smooth. Used a little soap inside the hoses to lube them up and everything slid together. Started up the truck , removed the radiator cap and turned on the heater to get all the air out. No leaks.

I also used a piece of the smaller diameter hose to extend the condenser drain beyond the sway bar bracket, but I'm afraid I may be too late. It looks rusty. Guess we'll see when I get around to replacing the bushings.
IMG_0748.JPG

Last edited:
I also used a piece of the smaller diameter hose to extend the condenser drain beyond the sway bar bracket, but I'm afraid I may be too late. It looks rusty. Guess we'll see when I get around to replacing the bushings.
View attachment 1485112

Yeah I extended mine after noticing how much rust was built up on that one bolt to the front sway bar bracket. It came out but after some soaking in PB and some easy in and out sections. I ended up using four new bolts so I wanted to be sure it wouldn't drain there anymore.

Had some extra fuel line laying around and was able to extend it with the help of a zip tie to drain just inside the right front tire.

I wonder how a vehicle such as a LC can have this one little flaw... Might be a Toyota thing as my Tacoma needed it's drain extended a tad as it naturally drains right onto the top of the frame.

Screenshot_2017-05-11-16-44-42.png

20170511_164324.jpg

20170511_164340.jpg

20170511_170412.jpg

Last edited:
Put on my new Front Runner rack today...

IMG_1286.JPEG

IMG_1289.JPEG

IMG_1290.JPEG

IMG_1291.JPEG

And this should be arriving Wednesday...

2017-2352.JPG

That's the kind of package I'm talking of, btw seems to be front or rear bumper, right?
Could you please by any chance give me dimensions plus weight since I'm trying to figure out shipping costs to Taiwan, either by air or sea...
Thanks and cheers, Chris
Sorry, it's actually sliders and an ARB drawer system. I plan on doing bumpers this winter, they are next on my list.

Thanks @BEG

Put together a build thread bro, I wanna see more. :)

Speaking of which I need to update my own, hahaha

Tried out the 3M eraser wheel today on aged pin stripes! Wow it worked actually really really well. The pressure washer at the car wash took a lot of them off. The wheel works great in my little cordless drill.

Going to have to start researching a good DA to work on my paint soon.
End goal is all gold stuff removed form the rear. Already have a new chrome front sombrero.
Then flares removed and inspect what's under them.

Whole rig needs a good wash, clay bar, then polish and polish again.

So I've been reading about HF, PC, Griots, and Meguiars. I like Meguiars products but am wondering if anywhere local is going to stock the foam pads and such I'll need quicker access to.

View attachment 1477642

I'm happy with my PC. It's handled everything I've thrown at it.

Went up to Colorado this past week and did a TON of offroading. Picked up and installed my Gamiviti rack while in Broomfield. Tim is definitely a top-notch dude and super friendly to boot. Helped me drill out the old rusted bolts from the factory rack and setup the 8 tower system for the rack. Can't say enough about the quality of this thing. Highly recommended. Pics to come.

Is there any noticeable interior wind noise with the new rack? I imagine there is, but do you find it obnoxious?
So far the only time I notice it is if the sliding door covering the sunroof is open, with the door closed I can't tell its up there. I did drive through a thunderstorm yesterday and could definitely hear it when there was strong gust of crosswind but other then that I am very Impressed with the noise level. Much quieter then the ARB rack on my 80.

Added the Support Assembly, Towing adapter(51990-60010) to my 03 LX470 and then mounted it to the integrated hitch. I did all this so I could add my Thule T2 bike rack. When I went to put the bike rack on I noticed that the rack was running into the spare tire and I could not thread the bolt through the holes. I ended up sawing about a inch and half of the rack to make it fit. Here are some pictures if anyone had any questions on how I did it.

52027995290__F222A3CD-DBC1-4722-9E32-F08EF65359BC.JPG

IMG_3824.JPG

IMG_3826.JPG

IMG_3827.jpg

Lord I would love a stock LC rear bumper with the hole already in it to mount a pintle to, and carry beach chairs on a rack like you have here.

Good job making it work for you!

IMG_3910.JPG
Fab'd up my new tail pipe for my rear bumper project

Lord I would love a stock LC rear bumper with the hole already in it to mount a pintle to, and carry beach chairs on a rack like you have here.

Good job making it work for you!
IIRC they all have the hole for it in the cross member, it's just the bumper skin that doesn't. You may be able to cut the skin yourself and dress it somehow... Stick your head under there and look between the spare and the crossmember and see if a nice, square hole with 4 threaded holes around it are present.

Oh it's there,

Two threaded holes and two just holes.

I'm just not confident in my trimming skills and being able to cover it back up if needed.

Wife would be pissed if she saw a hole in the rear bumper, hahaha

I have even thought about trying to source a 100 series base model bumper with the stock cut out section from another country like from amayama or partsouq (if I could be absolutely certain I had the right part number) in black and having it LineX covered but right now it's not the first thing on the list,

It's way down there, lol...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom