What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (34 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Replaced my transfer case isolator mount.

After installing the full set of Slee skids, which replaces the TC case cross member, I had noticed a substantial increase in the transfer case noise (whine) inside the cabin. Post install I also developed a new not so good noise- a metal on metal scrape that occurred under certain conditions- usually stopping, or certain bumps. It was coming from under the center console. I figured the TC whine was a simple result of being reflected by the solid steel belly plate kind of resonating upward under the console instead of downward to the pavement. But the deal breaker was the metal on metal squeak/scrape that I could not tolerate, so I was obliged to dig in and correct it.

After a thorough look around inside and below the truck, I removed the console and went for a drive, still couldn't isolate exactly where the squeak was emanating from. I then removed the TC shifter boot. I didn't see anything there except some crusty bolt heads, so while I was in there, I lubed what I could and resealed the boot on the console. After some more probing, I eventually isolated the squeak to a small spot on top of the transfer case under the P-N-D- 4321 gear shifter. After removing the intermediate skid, I stuck my iPhone up to the top of the TC and snapped a pic and some video. I found a small body seam sticking down under the gearshift access panel that was contacting the top of the TC case shift lever cover, and also noticed it had cut the small rubber boot on the end of the shift lever (Transfer Control Shift Lever Retainer).

I called Slee to better understand what had happened. They accurately designed the belly plate to conform to tolerances of a new truck (with fresh mounts) so my 12 year and 175k truck had a worn mount. They suggested two options, drop the TC down and try to flatten out the seam, or better replace the TC case mount (isolator). The seam is in an impossible spot, even dropping the TC down an inch or so its still nearly impossible to get a drift on that spot to knock it down. Also the seam is two pcs of sheet metal bonded and bent together, so with out really beating on it you cannot just roll the seam over and flat.

I ordered a new TC mount, removed the 95lb belly plate and installed the new mount. I then repaired the small cut in the rubber boot with a good smear of Black RTV, and slathered some marine grease on the tops of the crusty bolt heads to keep them from getting worse.

The end result is the metal on metal screech is gone, and the TC case whine that was resonating up through the console is also now gone. If you've installed a Slee or similar belly skid and have louder than before TC whine its probably due to TC case on body contact resonating through the cabin.

The last image is of the worn TC mount. Looks ok right, but it measured about 2mm different compared to the new one.

Screen Shot 2017-06-15 at 5.33.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-15 at 5.48.50 PM.png

IMG_2135.JPG

Last edited:
Dynomax muffler?

Which one?

Bolt on or did a shop have to weld it in?

Glad you got your Civic back, safely as well.
Dynomax Super Turbo
From Amazon item number 17748
Weld on, had a local shop weld it for $65, they cut off the resonator and left the existing pipe than ran up over the axle.
Thanks! Guess it's time for a tear down and a new headgasket!! Yay!

Hey! Are you headed to CMCC?

We are doing a mild trail ride Sat. then camping at my friends land in Stamford, if you are interested...

Defiantly going down to central pa for 2017 Coal Mine Cruiser Classic - Gotham City Land Cruisers on July 12-15. It's a great time and a few 100's show up. I led the greens and blues last year and will probably take the same approach this year, plus let my son drive some.

As far as Sat, I'm torn with working on the cargo drawers versus going for a drive. Hmmm tough choice.... I really appreciate the invite and will let you know.

Defiantly going down to central pa for 2017 Coal Mine Cruiser Classic - Gotham City Land Cruisers on July 12-15. It's a great time and a few 100's show up. I led the greens and blues last year and will probably take the same approach this year, plus let my son drive some.

As far as Sat, I'm torn with working on the cargo drawers versus going for a drive. Hmmm tough choice.... I really appreciate the invite and will let you know.

Super. Then I'll follow you. Will have my sliders and skids by then but I want to hang with Hundies, so that's perfect.

Come to Stamford if you want on Saturday night after working on your drawers! There will be a good crew...10 people or more.

I just did the heater Ts. While I had the engine cover off I peeked at the timing belt. The dealer told me it had been done but could not provide documentation. The vehicle appears to be taken good care of though. The belt I saw on the inside said "Made in the USA". Any chance Toyota ships these from Japan with a "Made in the USA" belt or should I go under the assumption it has already been changed?

Had the CVs rebooted, front diff serviced, drive-train lubed, oil change, rear brake pads and turned rotors, and added 1.25" wheel spacers. She drives like new! Packed her up and ready for da BEACH!!
20170621_184642[1].jpg

well that's sexy!

i got a bunch of stuff from Carl @ JT's as well.
all in the last week.
hooked me up with a ARB simpson 3 RTT
ARB rear cargo drawer/floor slide
63 qt ARB fridge with cover and wiring kit
LC torsion bars for my weak LX
80 series springs

also installed rear tailgate pockets from trail tailor and am waiting on sound deadening material and trying to figure out what to cover it with so my knees don't get smashed up but also doesn't tear when you slide a cooler or baby stroller across the top of it, lol

did all of that and took the old girl to the overland rally in plain,wa.

i'm currently putting together a dual battery system using blue seas ML-ACR, slee AHC mod, fridge slide made from alum extrusion, custom door channel LED bar mounts, 12v cig lighter always on jumper w/ hard wired inverter and finally adding insulation and sound deadening through out most of the truck, for peace and quite and so i don't freeze to death when i sleep in the truck on ski trips.

been busy and trying to build a cabin on top of it all, i was KO'd last summer and trying to make up for it this summer before winter gets here....that's my little update, lol.

that said, really like the stance and looks of the kit you got from JT's, i may have to go that route when my AHC finally gives up the ghost, wasn't too excited about the other lift options i was seeing out there until i stumbled upon yours!

well that's sexy!

i got a bunch of stuff from Carl @ JT's as well.
all in the last week.
hooked me up with a ARB simpson 3 RTT
ARB rear cargo drawer/floor slide
63 qt ARB fridge with cover and wiring kit
LC torsion bars for my weak LX
80 series springs

also installed rear tailgate pockets from trail tailor and am waiting on sound deadening material and trying to figure out what to cover it with so my knees don't get smashed up but also doesn't tear when you slide a cooler or baby stroller across the top of it, lol

did all of that and took the old girl to the overland rally in plain,wa.

i'm currently putting together a dual battery system using blue seas ML-ACR, slee AHC mod, fridge slide made from alum extrusion, custom door channel LED bar mounts, 12v cig lighter always on jumper w/ hard wired inverter and finally adding insulation and sound deadening through out most of the truck, for peace and quite and so i don't freeze to death when i sleep in the truck on ski trips.

been busy and trying to build a cabin on top of it all, i was KO'd last summer and trying to make up for it this summer before winter gets here....that's my little update, lol.

that said, really like the stance and looks of the kit you got from JT's, i may have to go that route when my AHC finally gives up the ghost, wasn't too excited about the other lift options i was seeing out there until i stumbled upon yours!
Glad i could shift your opinion towards the lift kit!! Looking forward to seeing the dual battery set up! Now. Building a cabin! That seems tough!

Glad i could shift your opinion towards the lift kit!! Looking forward to seeing the dual battery set up! Now. Building a cabin! That seems tough!

ordered the ACR and the 1/0 cable just hours ago, cut up some alum plate and angle to make the tray yesterday and am likely going to spend this evening relocating the steering res. should be a pretty straight forward install, nothing special, though i did find a switch from an AUS company that fits in the standard toyota knock out that is a dual voltmeter and displays both batteries voltages in the switch location...so it's a bummer that two knock outs are going to be taken by the dual battery system alone but it should look pretty slick and function well....probably better monitors out there but i couldn't find any that doesn't require me to start cutting up my dash or having a bunch of fabricated bits hanging off every corner of the cab.

i'll put a thread together when i go to wire it all up sometime next week/this weekend depending on how it goes, dual battery system is easy after you've been messing around with solar for a month or so, lol

Got my just differentials super deluxe kit on with icon stage 3s, rear upper adjustable controls links, rear lower icon links, and had my 315s ko2s put on, got the slee sliders installed today as well! Very happy how this thing is coming along! Rides like a dream!

View attachment 1483110

View attachment 1483111
looks awesome. When I got my 99 LC I was dead set on upgrading to some stock 18" 03+ wheels and I did. But every time I see a sweet ass black one like this I regret selling my 16" wheels for only $100 and not being able to easily go
Back to my 16's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom