What fan/radiator with a V8? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mechanical fan can rob more hp than that on big trucks.

Question, why do big rigs all run mechanical fans?

I think we've already addressed the issue of which cools better: mechanical or electrical.

I'd rather have a clutch fan on my 40. However, my taurus fan suits my current setup better than a mechanical.

Can would be the key word, maybe. The most extreme numbers that I have seen were for big solid driven fans without a shroud and then ~7hp. The numbers for clutch fans are in the 1-2hp range when fully on and that is only when the rig is very hot.

746 watts = 1hp, so an alternator loaded at 60A x 14V = 840W or ~1-1/8hp, + operating friction + conversion losses (heat) = in the 2hp range off of the belt.

I could see this if it were a big solid fan, maybe. Are you sure it wasn't noise change, etc? Most cannot detect a couple of hp difference, especially in a motor that makes decent power. If the fan was a clutch type, could you tell the difference between when it's fully "on" and "off"? The clutch on mine is "tuned" has ~double the stock viscosity fluid in it and I can not tell unless I can hear it.

60 amps? Holy s***. Mine draws about 10 amps after startup.

Me im goin mechanical, but a nice spal in front for AC and just in case moments

Question, why do big rigs all run mechanical fans?

Along those lines though, I've seen several big front-end loaders with electric fans.. Presumably because they travel slowly and spend time near idle.. Sound like any other vehicles? :p

I can tell you the GM fan and fan clutch off the 1999 SUV really moves some air. Got it fabbed up this afternoon where I could drive it a little bit for testing.. never got above 190 or so...without shroud.

Hopefully my friend can help me soon to get engine square with radiator (moding the front engine mounts) and then fab up a shroud. I can tell you that even without the shroud the truck cool right down when fan clutch engaged.... that fan really works well.

I run a stock mechanical fan on my TBI 350 with a Griffin radiator. It will pull plenty of air when using a fan shroud. I consider this to be much more reliable than an electric fan. I don't care about the loss of HP running the mechanical fan.

Only time the electric fan is more desirable for me is deep water crossings.

How do you like the Griffin radiator? I saw they sponsored the Hammers this year and never noticed that they are located right down the road from me. I pass them quite often. A saw they have several models of radiators for 40's. They also didn't look over priced.

Griffin Radiators and Thermal Products

Griffin makes nice stuff

That is the Rad. that I got for my build. Glad to hear that they are a good product. Went with the 19x24, but have yet to install it. Too much other crap to attend to first.

Looks like I may have to drop the stock rad. brackets and set it DOWN in the frame some to square it up with the fan.

That is the Rad. that I got for my build. Glad to hear that they are a good product. Went with the 19x24, but have yet to install it. Too much other crap to attend to first.

Looks like I may have to drop the stock rad. brackets and set it DOWN in the frame some to square it up with the fan.

keith that is the same size and make I put in my 40 w/ my SBC. I did the same thing and used the stock bracket but just cut it in half and made it fit my radiator. Its just enough space for my headlight buckets to fit. I used a piece of 1x1 square tubing to move it up. Made my own shroud and it seems to keep my 40 cool, so far even during our "warm" texas summer.

Nick

How do you like the Griffin radiator? I saw they sponsored the Hammers this year and never noticed that they are located right down the road from me. I pass them quite often. A saw they have several models of radiators for 40's. They also didn't look over priced.

Griffin Radiators and Thermal Products

No problems. The radiator is over 10 years old and works well. It is around 19" x 22" in size.
Reasonable price for a nice radiator.

Just wondering if anyone has adatped one of the dual fan setups off one of the newer GM SUV or pickups? Looks like a nice setup...dual fans with integrated shroud / mount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom