What does Your Remote Look Like? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just noticed you're rocking the MX Master. That's my current pointer-clicker-thingy.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of it. Works well when I work from home, too, since I can switch between PCs with the button under the mouse.

@abuck99 @BMThiker What do you guys think? Here are the two current versions.

Rounded (filets):
filet YMD5 render.JPG

filet YMD5 render close.JPG

Sharp (chamfers):
Chamfered render.JPG

chamfer YMD5 render close.JPG

Sharp-Chamfered for me. IMO the rounded style looks similar to the stock fob- kind of dated.

If you care to square off the fastening points like your other Trapezoid fob, it’d be even better.

467BCFD8-F400-49FE-B0B9-EE779A851D28.jpeg

Either way I’m in for 2 sharp when available.

Last edited:
Sharp-Chamfered for me. IMO the rounded style looks similar to the stock fob- kind of dated.

If you care to square off the fastening points like your other Trapezoid fob, it’d be even better.

View attachment 2170530
Either way I’m in for 2 sharp when available.

I like this idea. It's a pain right now, but I think the redesign is worth it. There are a lot of design choices in that YMDT you pictured that I was really happy with. I should repeat some of those in this design. Hang tight, I'll get to work on that and show another render.

Last edited:
Any chance early models can use the later style remote ? I would love to have it integrated with the key

Any chance early models can use the later style remote ? I would love to have it integrated with the key

Perhaps, but I've not done that yet. I have seen some folks use those earlier 3 button remotes on later cars designed to work with the integrated key. I would assume you can go the other direction and use a newer remote with the older vehicle.

My 2012 TTSE keys are like ryanCA's key but can I ask the question. What is the $88 "upgrade" exactly.?

Fair question.

The OEM key shell is semi-flexible plastic. You can feel some squish as you turn the key, even in a perfectly healthy OEM key as you turn the ignition. That's the best case scenerio for an OEM key. Worst case, the key outright fractures and leaves you with a key blade stuck in the ignition which cannot be removed by hand. See an actual customer pic here. Notice that vehicle is on and running with no way to turn it off without pliers. This has happened to more customers than I can count at this point. No biggie if you have pliers on hand, but a major pain if you don't.

1579640529320.png

YotaMD YMD1 kit has two grade 5 titanium plates precision cut to within about .002" in the critical features. These plates hold any style of OEM key blade more firmly than any OEM key shell and will never fail. In addition to that, the YotaMD plastic is a durable nylon and the hardware is all stainless (optional black oxide if you want the black look). Since the YotaMD kit re-uses your existing key blade and remote it also saves you the hassle of any reprogramming or key cutting. I do also offer new key blanks if you have an existing OEM key in good shape and don't want to tear out the existing key blade.

1579641257746.png

$78 gets you the black shell kit. $88 gets you into the Cerakoted shell ktis. Those shells are the same durable nylon with an additional Cerakote ceramic coating to provide added durability and some optional vibrant colors.

Let me know if you have any other questions and feel free to ask around the 100 section of this forum. There are literally hundreds of customers on that section that can offer a wealth of real world, unbiased testimonials.

The YotaMD kits are intended to last a life time, but I've also got some world class service to back up the product should anyone run into an odd failure or something. IE, one guy threw his keys in frustration after some life event (forget exactly what it was, but I remember he felt dumb). He managed to crack a corner of the case and I sent out a replacement.

The YotaMD kit should be the last key you ever need to buy for your vehicle.

I'd be interested in getting this for regular old highlander fob. This may be a dumb question, but I didn't see it mentioned. Is this waterproofed? It would be amazing if it was enough to slip inside a wetsuit (surfing not diving) or something. Just want to be sure it would have a membrane of sorts.

I'd be interested in getting this for regular old highlander fob. This may be a dumb question, but I didn't see it mentioned. Is this waterproofed? It would be amazing if it was enough to slip inside a wetsuit (surfing not diving) or something. Just want to be sure it would have a membrane of sorts.

I use the OEM gasket inside the remote and use a similar method for sealing. That said, my material is slightly more porous than the OEM injection molded plastic. I haven't run waterproof/water resistance tests, but I could give that a try on this design.

I've had some customers put remotes through the wash and they survived, but I wouldn't necessarily be comfortable putting a label of "waterproof" on it.

Very good, I wish you luck. In 40+ years of driving I have never had a key fail. I have had the lock fail to where a key can be removed while the engine is running. I think as long as you don't hang a ton of keys from your key ring usually nothing goes wrong.

Very good, I wish you luck. In 40+ years of driving I have never had a key fail. I have had the lock fail to where a key can be removed while the engine is running. I think as long as you don't hang a ton of keys from your key ring usually nothing goes wrong.

I think a lot of it has to do with the quality of the plastic. I've cracked open somewhere between 50-100 in the last few years. They are not all equal. Some snap right away (brittle), while others are gummy and flexible and have to be cut/torn open. Unfortunately (or fortunately for my business, I suppose) the ones that don't crack easily are the ones that you can feel flex in the ignition. Not enough to freak people out, but enough that you can tell the YotaMD or transponder keys are more solid.

@abuck99 @BMThiker @1911 Remote shell is launched! I've got a small number on hand right now that I'm letting "into the wild" at a slightly discounted rate. Prices will probably go up a few dollars once I'm into the next round and really start promoting this, so now's the time to save a few bucks.

I'll post up an actual "product launch" notice thread soon, but wanted to give you guys the first notice.

_DSC_0003.jpg

_DSC_0016.jpg

_DSC_0028.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom