What does Your Remote Look Like? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cool I’ll PM you shortly. Was thinking today about asking you for a chunky key blank (ie.no cutouts) for the stock key. Its strictly aesthetic since theres no guts inside the key but it would partner with the remote fob nicely.

Done- Thanks Andy

@suprarx7nut What's the trick to extracting the panic button from the old housing?

That's so weird. @abuck99 asked me the same thing. I have two testers that I bought. Both of those just popped right out with a little pressure. The button is rubber and there's a 4 pointed plastic ring that holds it into the OEM shell back. It's just press fit (or at least was on both of mine).

If prying a little on the corners of that plastic ring doesn't help, could you post a picture? Maybe there's a different variant of case back out there.

Actually, looking at your website again, I see a non-panic option. I wish I had noticed that before. I don't ever intend to use the panic button on my remote. A few times I've accidentally set it off - so annoying.

Actually, looking at your website again, I see a non-panic option. I wish I had noticed that before. I don't ever intend to use the panic button on my remote. A few times I've accidentally set it off - so annoying.

No problem. Once I have those in stock I'll send you a "no panic" back on the house.

I tried to get an Xacto knife tip in a couple corners and it's not budging
03CCCA7D-67AC-4EB3-A4F4-D4D499CDE00A.jpeg

I tried to get an Xacto knife tip in a couple corners and it's not budging
View attachment 2207448

1581358232975.png

The green area. Does that seem like solid plastic? If it's hard like plastic, I wonder if that was ultrasonically welded on some remotes. That would be a pain...

The red arrows are where I applied a little force on mine. They ring popped right out on mine. I'm assuming your corners there don't budge at all?

Yes, I broke an Xacto tip just now trying to pry on one of the corners indicated by your red arrows. You may be right that it's ultrasonically or solvent welded. Possibly a first model year only deal and then they stopped welding on later models?

Yes, I broke an Xacto tip just now trying to pry on one of the corners indicated by your red arrows. You may be right that it's ultrasonically or solvent welded. Possibly a first model year only deal and then they stopped welding on later models?

Wow, crazy. Yes, must be something that varied over time. One of my testers is aftermarket, one is OEM (so I think). I'm interested to see what I hear back from others. Hopefully you guys are the exception.

The non-panic back will solve your issue. I wonder if @abuck99 had any luck with his?

I sent a PM asking about how to get that panic button off. I did get it removed- seems the square retaining ring is heat bonded to the little housing, you have to gently pry up each tang being careful to not break it- (baby steps). I used a very small blade jewelers type screwdriver.
Once removed, I straightened it out and it swapped into the new housing and snapped into place. Good job on your casting.

IMG_3905.JPG
IMG_3907.JPG

I sent a PM asking about how to get that panic button off. I did get it removed- seems the square retaining ring is heat bonded to the little housing, you have to gently pry up each tang being careful to not break it- (baby steps). I used a very small blade jewelers type screwdriver.
Once removed, I straightened it out and it swapped into the new housing and snapped into place. Good job on your casting.

View attachment 2207725View attachment 2207724

That's good you got it out. Clearly that took more effort than mine. Weird. I can see fresh plastic so that appears to have been ultrasonic or chemical welded just enough to hold it in place. I'll see if I can include buttons in those kits. With those parts being so small, it might be a small enough price per part that I can just include them by default.

@abuck99 @BMThiker Got an even better plan. I was able to make a perfect fit button blank. This keeps the recess in the back piece which helps give it some texture. It also simplifies a few things on my end from a business perspective. Should be a win-win. I'll start shipping all of them with that button blank.

Parts are in production now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom