What do I have? 40 newb (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well this is a new one for me. No front heater, but you have a rear heater?

Interesting looking center console.

You have some sort of aftermarket skid plate on there.
Yeah there’s a front blower but no front heater box..

Yes, old school on board air. Compressor is back driver side of engine bay.
Aftermarket fuse box for the complete wiring harness that came with it.. not sure why it’s in the second battery tray (yes it has two battery trays), it’s just chillin there.

Bleed the gear boxes of any water. It finds its way thru the shift cane on the transmission, and often into the transfer case from there.

Yes that’s top of the list. Although it was sitting covered until the last couple years.. and had a good top on it until I headed home 🤦🏻

16DCF225-0B32-4D12-A262-844F35301772.jpeg

Too bad about your top. I know I posted in a thread about someone buying going to haul his new to him FJ40 home to WY. Final took the time to dig up this picture someone posted of me towing my FJ25. This was before I joined mud. In my early twenties had a job delivering construction materials on a stake bed truck. Not if that's why I always to be sure the load is secured. Should consider yourself lucky you seen it and retrieved the top. Story on here of those it just went MIA on the trip.

View attachment 3214957

I knew better on the top.. further inspection on the lunch time power wash today concluded there were no bolts in the top period. Oh was just sitting on the tub.

No turn bolt holes, no broken bolts. Just empty holes

I'm still shocked your top wasn't in worse shape after finding it on the side of the highway. To keep with the theme, I'd say you have weekend plans for the foreseeable future.

Nice looking 40, look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Correction, middle of the highway 🤣

Im Blown away it survived at all. I think it’s salvageable with effort.

"What do I have?" I say it depends on what you want to have. Without knowing what your final vision is, it could be a short to reasonable length of time to get it running and drive as is or a long time and lots of bucks to return it to its' prior glory.

Springs look like they could be Burbank springs which will ride rough as a brick, don't ask me how I know. :)

It looks to have a Weber carb. I have never driven one in person that ran well but I know folks have made them work, mostly in the pre-internet days when there wasn’t much info or knowledge on the original carbs.

The “auxiliary fuse block” looks like an aftermarket wire harness to me. That could really change what’s makes sense to sort out vs just replace if you have wiring issues
That does look to be a weber--same as mine--36DFG?

No clue, I haven’t had time to pull the air cleaner and look very far.

Definitely not oe Toyota.. definitely not going back carbureted
Why not going back to OEM Aisan? I have a Weber that I put on due to faulty advice-got an OEM 75 that will be re-installed when I get the time--

Why not going back to OEM Aisan? I have a Weber that I put on due to faulty advice-got an OEM 75 that will be re-installed when I get the time--

Because fuel injection.

Not saying it won’t happen. But if im going to spend the money on the stock engine I’ll just buy a sniper setup.

"just" If only the internet made the Sniper look easy.

Us carb guys are torn between using 13 or 12 mm nuts for our set-ups - hardly of consequence.

Oh I realize it’s not an easy button. But I’d rather spend the time getting the sniper setup than dealing with a carb.

Although I’ve never driven one a 40, so maybe if I drove a good tuned runing carbed one I’d have a different take.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom