What Diesel Battery are you runing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1984 HJ47 just got to port! and is now waiting for the boat, I was informed the battery is now dead! Great more charge$ probably from the shipping co for extra efforts. :crybaby: so the drama began...

So I would like to see what battery options the TOYO diesel pros are running? and recommend for my set up?

Gel cell? CCA's? Duals vs. singles? OEM styles? Cable options? Cable sizes?

I read through a few posts but the search was hard to find specific for a variety of what is working for some?

Diehard Platinum from Sears is exactly the same as an Odyssey, but for less money.

I have an older Optima red top. I am not impressed with the new Optimas. I have to pick up a group 31 Diehard Platinum for the 40, and I'll probably buy the same for my 45 whenever I get to making it run.

Dan

Dans hj45 are you running duals?

also another newb question are the hj47s 24 or 12 v it is and australian truck?

The 40 will keep a single battery, but a HUGE single battery (31M Diehard Platinum has 1150 CCA and 205 minutes reserve at 25 Amps IIRC).

My 45 will have dual batteries. Probably one group 31M, and a smaller battery for the auxiliary.

OO cable from McMaster-Carr for battery cables. My math says that even at 400 amps draw it should be more than good for a 10 foot one way cable run to the starter if need be.

My 45 is from Honduras, but 12V. I think most of the Australian trucks were 12V as well, but don't quote me on that.

Dan

i am running a 1750 Odyssey, i bought for 315. dollars. i need to check on the die hard platinum.

Diehard Platinum from Sears is exactly the same as an Odyssey, but for less money.

I have an older Optima red top. I am not impressed with the new Optimas. I have to pick up a group 31 Diehard Platinum for the 40, and I'll probably buy the same for my 45 whenever I get to making it run.

Dan

I run dual odessey's, my truck cranks super fast and winches like a bastard, i'd never buy another battery.

Dans hj45 are you running duals?

also another newb question are the hj47s 24 or 12 v it is and australian truck?

All aussie spec landcruisers are 12v. This makes it easier to run extra batteries in paralel.

You can have extra batteries connected full time or you can have isolater switches or solenoids.

I have 2x770 cca and a 100 amp deep cycle battery(for fridge and lighting when stopped) with solenoids isolating them

i am running a 1750 Odyssey, i bought for 315. dollars. i need to check on the die hard platinum.

Looks to me like the Odyssey 1750=group 65. Both the Odyssey and DieHard Platinum are made by Enersys. There's some good discussion about it here on MUD, only difference is one is orange, one is gray, and one costs $300+ and the other $190 ($240 for the marine versions).

Dan

I do not break my head with that !! Yes quality is important ... but this is not really a problem when there is free replacement warranty for 3 years, then prorated for 7 or 8 years. So I bought 2 batterys at Costco - Kirkland - and I am very satisfied.

Cheap.

PS: NO startup problem, even a-35C.

I do not break my head with that !! Yes quality is important ... but this is not really a problem when there is free replacement warranty for 3 years, then prorated for 7 or 8 years. So I bought 2 batterys at Costco - Kirkland - and I am very satisfied.

Cheap.

PS: NO startup problem, even a-35C.

I use a Kirkland deep cycle battery for my boat. I've had it for four years and it's the longest lasting deep cycle that I've had to date. I think Kirkland batteries are pretty good also.

if i had plenty of extra i would go with dual red tops (optimas) but since im cheap im running now two run-off-the-mill 95ah batts... works fine thou...

I run whatever the biggest battery Walmart sell is. I recall it was about $75 and is over 1000CCA.

Flips a 3B over like nothing, has held up fine for a year so far...

I went with the Diehard Platinum 31M. Man that thing is heavy and fat.
02850131000hei600ampwid600ampop_sha.jpg

is identical to:
31m-2150_lg_01.jpg

But is $100 less

Last edited:
I bought the biggest one Wally world sells, 1000+cca and $75, seems to work just fine.

Diesels don't need the high CCA's...

Care to elaborate as to why diesels don't need a higher CCA? Considering the higher compression ratios, higher power starters, and generally larger amounts of mass that diesels encompass, can you explain why diesels typically come with high CCA batteries? Most new diesel pick-ups come with two batteries with 800 to 900 CCAs each.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom