3B Turbo- what adjustments are necessary (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently pulled my 13B (with after market turbo from previous owner) from my 81 BJ42 because I heard a concerning noise. Blew a hole in my piston and there were metal pieces on top of my piston. Had a shop assess the injectors and 1 of 4 were operating normally.
I decided to install the original 3B but had all the injectors rebuilt since they were dysfunctional. Inreplaced the clutch. I wasn’t going to use the turbo at first but changed my mind since I had everything to do it. I don’t know if my 13B was damaged due to the turbo set up or prior use or a combo so I want to avoid repeating any mistakes.

I read something about avoiding over fueling by adjusting the injection pump. I like to keep things simple if I can so I only want to change what is necessary while using the turbo if possible.

What adjustments or changes do I need to make in order to make sure everything runs as it should and I don’t damage this engine after adding the turbo? Adjust injector pump?

Thanks
IMG_8669.jpeg

I would take the injection pump to a professional - I believe that the timing needs to be slowed on the injection pump a little - and maybe turn the fuel up.

Don’t expect too much form the 3B - they cannot Handel much power. I would say 7PSI MAX.

These things will blow up left and right if you have too much boost.

Maybe I should just skip the turbo all together.
I would take the injection pump to a professional - I believe that the timing needs to be slowed on the injection pump a little - and maybe turn the fuel up.

Don’t expect too much form the 3B - they cannot Handel much power. I would say 7PSI MAX.

d

Maybe I should just skip the turbo all together.

d

This is a good plan.

Its an indirect injected engine, it was never designed for a turbo. It will absolutely hasten the death of an engine that has an issue and generally shorten the life of an engine thats healthy. Most people have a good outcome and are generally happy - but a not insignificant percentage grenade their engine shortly after fitting the turbo or are forever chasing overheating issues.

The 3B is a superb little engine, yes its slow. Enjoy the view.

Last edited:
^ exactly - little 3B will rattle and shake for a looong time.

It isn’t a power house and never will be. Personally I don’t find the 3B too slow if it’s got good compression.

this is not correct, its hearsay
not insignificant percentage grenade their engine shortly after fitting the turbo or are forever chasing overheating issues.
this is true, as most have no idea wtf they are doing

But gimme is right in saying it aint going to be fast... at all.... ever

Retarded timing is one of the keys to longevity, which is easily achieved with loosening 4 nuts and rotating the pump away from the engine block, it does not require removing the pump in any way or making any internal adjustments to the pump itself

If you want to chat about it ive read quite a bit before doing this and have been driving mine for 10k km now (engine was at 320 000km)
Your engine must be in top shape and you have to understand what is going on and not "slap a turbo on"

And as you very well know even a 13bt can make holes in its pistons sooooo....... its just an outcome thats in play with any turbo engine

Thank all of you so much for your detailed explanations and recommendations. I had to process the information for a little bit. I really appreciate it.

By the way, my BJ42 odometer shows 543,000 km and I am not sure when the previous owner swapped in the 13B so that combined with other unknowns, I wouldn't classify my 3B engine as being in top shape.

As a result of the knowledge you guys have shared with me and now a gut feeling as well, I will not be putting a turbo on my 3B. I plan to start the work on converting it back to the original engine next week. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom