What are these? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I heard an unusual noise in my 13B engine that started relatively suddenly. It does have an after market turbo…if that matters.
I pulled the valve cover and found these unattached laying freely inside. What are they?
Thanks
IMG_8647.jpeg
IMG_8646.jpeg

Is that maybe the last turn on a valve spring??

1692849914430.png

Gentlemen, thank you both so much. Now that you explained it, it makes perfect sense. I will be pulling the head in hopes to locate the source of the engine noise and will post updates. Thanks again.

Damn :( How long had the turbo been on it?

Not sure how long the turbo had been on it. I bought it in February 2022 and the turbo was on it then. Took me a little over a year to get it on the road more due to working on the brakes and little leaks here and there and just taking my time. I drove it for about a tank and a half of gas and heard a noise and then after checking multiple things, pulled the engine and pulled the head.

I am sure I contributed to this problem because I noticed oil blowing out of the hose coming off the valve cover that routes out the bottom of the engine. I thought it might be ring blow by. I was working on fixing a fuel problem with fuel leaks at the same time so I was trying to focus on not blowing up. Anyway, I then noticed one day my oil pressure was dropping really low...I chalked it up to blow by or a faulty oil pressure gauge. Especially since I had just added a 1.5 quarts of oil a few hunded miles ago. My engine temp always showed 182 and I noticed it climbing to 200. Since the aftermarket temp gauge was on the fritz too I was not confident in the accuracy. Also, my pyrometer worked sometimes and sometimes it didn't. When I checked my oil, it took about 4 quarts to bring it full again. I thought I blew it. The next day for for the next couple days, the engine sounded fine and drove fine until I heard a noise and two months later of working on it here and there, here we are.

I guess the engine had been burning the oil out of he exhaust/shooting some out the hose that comes off the valve cover.

I tried to make this a rolling project and I think I just got ahead of myself and should have waited longer before putting it on the road. Now I'm looking at a rebuild. My fault.

Not sure what those pieces of metal are though...kind of reminds me of a fossil lol-well almost lol if it wasn't a landcruiser but it is, so it sucks- more like col.
My buddy said that those pieces on top of the piston likely came in through the intake.

I like GTSSportCoupe's comment that maybe they could be pieces of the piston rings. That would make sense.

Thanks again for your input. It is helpful. I have the original 3B and was thinking of checking it out and if it runs good, then install it temporarily until I can have the resources to rebuild the 13B. Also, I could turbo the 3B but not sure if that is a good idea. Open to comments, thoughts.

Last edited:
could have been from the previous owner, something happened to the old turbo and it genaded and sent s*** through the engine, then they replaced the turbo, hoping that everything else was fine...and it wasnt

That’s really unfortunate. 13BT has really low idle oil pressure, one thing I find unsettling
about mine. You didn’t mention which aftermarket turbo or how much boost it was running.
It doesn’t sound like you pushed it to catastrophic failure, fingers crossed when you pull
the motor the bottom end is serviceable, can’t see why not.

Good point-that makes sense the prior turbo could have failed and sent scrap through the engine.

Here is a pic of the current aftermarket turbo and I can make out the words Research on it.

When the boost gauge was working, I noticed I was running ~ 10 and top end never exceeded ~ 65mph (with 31s). Before I pulled the head, I pulled the main bearings and one of the rod bearings-I will attach pics of the mains and crank. The main bearings show scores and some pitting in them and the rod bearing looked good. My buddy said he thought the crank "looked pretty" from what he could see. I suppose I will find out more about the bottom end at some point.

Short term plan is to start my 3B in the next week or so to see if it is in good enough condition to at least get this back on the road since it is my daily driver.

Thanks again.

IMG_8681.jpeg
IMG_8677.jpeg
IMG_8676.jpeg

Pics of main bearings and crank. Not sure if bearings are standard or not?View attachment 3411415View attachment 3411416View attachment 3411417View attachment 3411418

That second bearing is trashed. Looks like there's debris in the oil. Check the crank where this one was.

Both look like they are on the way out with the little parallel chafe marks across them. But terrible yet, but on their way.
Both have some score marks in them.

With the damage to that piston, broken bits in the cylinder, broken valve springs, gouged main bearing, that engine needs a compete tear down and inspection/ rebuild.

It's been abused in the past IMO

That second bearing is trashed. Looks like there's debris in the oil. Check the crank where this one was.

Both look like they are on the way out with the little parallel chafe marks across them. But terrible yet, but on their way.
Both have some score marks in them.

With the damage to that piston, broken bits in the cylinder, broken valve springs, gouged main bearing, that engine needs a compete tear down and inspection/ rebuild.

Thanks Mudgudgeon. I definitely appreciate your opionion on it and it is helpful.

I have speculation but it won't be helpful. I'd take a real hard look at that turbo you have as well. Consider
trying to find one that's specific to the engine. The 3B should basically drop in as an interim replacement.
There are a couple of decent engine rebuild supply companies in Australia, which is where I would start looking
for parts. That being said, try looking at local vendors on Mud. I have GTurbo on my 12HT but it's more than
one needs. Wink Turbos are specific built and good reputation, closer to stock configuration.

I have speculation but it won't be helpful. I'd take a real hard look at that turbo you have as well. Consider
trying to find one that's specific to the engine. The 3B should basically drop in as an interim replacement.
There are a couple of decent engine rebuild supply companies in Australia, which is where I would start looking
for parts. That being said, try looking at local vendors on Mud. I have GTurbo on my 12HT but it's more than
one needs. Wink Turbos are specific built and good reputation, closer to stock configuration.
I appreciate that cruiserpilot and I believe that is helpful. I will look into your recommendations. Thanks.

I’ve got the original CT26 turbo from my 13BT if you want it.
Needs rebuilding, leaks oil.
I have a GTurbo now.

That was my first opinion also. I hope it's a lesson to those who think Toyota diesels like doing 5500 rpms for long periods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom