What did you work on tonight? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Please tell me if you see a set of chrome shocks at upull that’ll go with my new 3” riser blocks
I’m going back to the ‘80s
How about quad chrome shocks in the back?

Well fellas here's the final result of the cutting board project after about 2 weeks on/off. I'm a bit astounded by how well it turned out. It looks even better in person and feels incredibly smooth. I used it to cut down a half rib roast into steaks and cooked the best ribeye I think I've ever made. Huge success. I am definitely gonna be doing more of this in the future :D
She loved it! I said "For our anniversary I taught myself fine woodworking". Her response was laughter almost to tears and then I finally got to reveal the workspace I've taken over in the garage. She knows I'm a bit nuts. I have a good woman. I'm not sure how I kept this one a secret. On to the next thing 👍

20221222_021500.jpg

20221222_021317.jpg

20221223_000211.jpg

20221223_050714.jpg

20221223_051850.jpg

Last edited:
Well fellas here's the final result of the cutting board project after about 2 weeks on/off. I'm a bit astounded by how well it turned out. It looks even better in person and feels incredibly smooth. I used it to cut down a half rib roast into steaks and cooked the best ribeye I think I've ever made. Huge success. I am definitely gonna be doing more of this in the future :D
She loved it! I said "For our anniversary I taught myself fine woodworking". Her response was laughter almost to tears and then I finally got to reveal the workspace I've taken over in the garage. I have a good woman. I'm not sure how I kept this one a secret. On to the next thing 👍

View attachment 3199806

View attachment 3199807

View attachment 3199808

View attachment 3199810

View attachment 3199811
Turned out really good, nice job!

She loved it! I said "For our anniversary I taught myself fine woodworking". Her response was laughter almost to tears and then I finally got to reveal the workspace I've taken over in the garage. She knows I'm a bit nuts. I have a good woman. I'm not sure how I kept this one a secret. On to the next thing 👍

View attachment 3199806

View attachment 3199807

View attachment 3199808

View attachment 3199810

View attachment 3199811
Well done!!

Wheels had play at 3 and 9 when jacked up. I had replaced outer tie rods like a year or a little over ago. Tried swapping out the inners since I have steering wheel shake and cupping tires. All but eliminated the shake.

Unfortunately found a small amount of steering fluid in my bellows on each side. The ITRE’s are a bandaid for now while I wait for warmer weather to pluck up the courage to replace the rack. Now the question is CVJ or RackDoctor?

Wheels had play at 3 and 9 when jacked up. I had replaced outer tie rods like a year or a little over ago. Tried swapping out the inners since I have steering wheel shake and cupping tires. All but eliminated the shake.

Unfortunately found a small amount of steering fluid in my bellows on each side. The ITRE’s are a bandaid for now while I wait for warmer weather to pluck up the courage to replace the rack. Now the question is CVJ or RackDoctor?

I have had great luck with adding a couple oz of AT-205 seal conditioner to eliminate steering rack leaks.

If the seal conditioner trick doesn't work, I had a good experience with the rack doctor. I also have a rack (plus the box) to use as a core if you don't want be down for too long.

Not sure about the 4runner world, but anymore you can't hardly find a brand new oem rack from Toyota for the 100 series. Pretty much all you can get from the dealer is rebuilds. My understanding is that Toyota does not supply the parts for these rebuilds, they are rebuilt in many different places, and they are done using aftermarket parts. They also have a s***ty warantee (1 year.) I went with a Toyota reman for the wife's GX and was not impressed. The hydraulic lines on the rack were bent and it looked like it had sat in salt water before being wiped off and shot with rattle can aluminum paint.

If you can go brand new oem that would be my choice. If not, both of the rebuilders you listed have both good and bad reviews.

I wish I had a way to pressurize and test parts like a steering rack. Seals are easy to change, and cheap, but the only way for me to test them would be to install the rack.

As you probably already know, a new rack is available from your dealers online store for a 1000 bucks for an 08.

I am working on this Jeep that has transplanted axles under it. The rear is a 14 bolt the front is a Dana44 passenger drop. They are both full width. I am puzzled about the gear ratios.

When I turn the front tire one revelation the pinion turns just over 4 revolutions that I translate to a 4.10 ratio. The axle has a lunch box locker in it.

When I turn the rear tire one full revolution the rear pinion turns just over two revolutions and I estimate it at 2.10 gears. 2.10 gear set seemed weird, so I pulled the cover and check the ring gear stamping and the gear set is 4.10. The rear is an open diff.

What am I missing?

Edit: more research and found this (learned something)

Like previously mentioned, if your car has an open differential (non-positraction), you will want to perform the check with one rear wheel on the ground. Again, mark the inside of the tire and a spot on the driveshaft with your paint marker. Now, rotate the suspended tire two revolutions and count the number of driveshaft turns. The reason to make two revolutions is the open differential actually rotates half as many times as a ‘posi,’ because of the design of the “open” gear operation.

if the driveshaft turned 3 3/4 revolutions for two rotations of the tire, you have a 3.73 gear. A driveshaft that rotates 2 3/4 times announces a 2.76 gear ratio.

Last edited:
Donedeal. Picked up the bits from Tim at Absolute Power Coating yesterday.

Finished Bumper-sm.jpg

Looks good, Jon!

That 4Runner just keeps getting better and better. Speaking of that, it seems there’s a new engine over there waiting to get tucked under the hood?!? 😉

That will be a major upgrade!

Much needed work on the GX tonight. Radiator, belt tensioner, idler pulley, belt and fan clutch.
FB0EE08D-A0E4-4DFB-9917-3D15BFDF410A.jpeg

That fan clutch is rebuildable, if they're like the other Toyota truck engine variants. Just swap out the fluid inside. Too late now, but a FYI.

That fan clutch is rebuildable, if they're like the other Toyota truck engine variants. Just swap out the fluid inside. Too late now, but a FYI.
Interesting I had no idea they are rebuildable. I’m going to take the old one apart to find out.

Check out the FAQ section in the 80 series and you'll see great documentation on it.

Another FYI, you can replace just the bearings inside the pulley with quality replacements. It's a little bit more work but it does save you some coin 😁

Last edited:
With some of the funky work I found in this rig I shoulda had a closer look at the knuckles. The loose knuckle stud fairies smiled on me again.

Good thing this guy put black rtv on the hub cone washers.

With some of the funky work I found in this rig I shoulda had a closer look at the knuckles. The loose knuckle stud fairies smiled on me again.

Good thing this guy put black rtv on the hub cone washers.

I wish people would do just a little bit of thinking before installing those cone washers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom