What did you work on tonight? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have you thought about using one of his upright bike carrier? That could go on the left swing arm.
I think that would only work if I pulled the gas can and made something for a bike. It's just two bolts off and on.

I'm calling this done. Sanded to 600 grit, wiped with water to raise the grain, then 600 again. I used a product from Lowe's called Howard Butcher Block Conditioner. It's a mixture of mineral oil, beeswax, and carauba wax. I used that and sanded it to 1000 grit for finish. Man that's a satisfying process.

You could defend your home with this thing. 13.5 inches overall. I left the handle big and more square intentionally for a workhorse look, and we both have big hands.

New hobby? My neighbor has a mini bandsaw he'd sell me.

View attachment 3190173

View attachment 3190175

View attachment 3190176

View attachment 3190177

View attachment 3190178
Nicely done!

I think that would only work if I pulled the gas can and made something for a bike. It's just two bolts off and on.
I'm going to go that route by making my own uprights but I want it to be removable as well. I was also thinking of having two bike uprights so that I have the best of all worlds. I don't have a spare tire hanging off the back so it will usually be either four bikes, or two bikes and two gas can/rubbish bin or just two bikes only.

Powder on everything except the bumper. See, there is this bumper sticker on it that says "Viva Baja." I contacted the fella that gave that to me, and he doesn't have any more. I ain't losing that. So the mounts and the swing arms will be powder coated, and the bumper rattle canned. I'm hoping @Dumpolina has a forgotten stash of Stout Equipment decals someplace.

Hmm...I bet we could find you a new Baja vinyl decal in that font out on the world wide web. Let me take a look and see what's out there. I've spent a few hundred + on decals over the past year.

Edit - Pappy is this the "David K" sticker? If that's the case, I see it's not something you'd wanna re-create.

Last edited:
I flattened this by hand using a No. 60-1/2 Jorgensen block plane. Doing that for the first time is a bit alarming. I had to set the razer gap perfectly otherwise it would cause some tearout in the maple. Also, misalignment can cause streaking into the wood from the metal corner of the blade.. But after quick sanding to 60 grit I was able to take most of that out. It's now quite flat and smooth. I'm honestly surprised it went that well. I definitely won't mind getting some more practice at this by hand. So close now, just need to run it through a table saw and chamfer the edges.

20221212_194253.jpg

I flattened this by hand using a No. 60-1/2 Jorgensen block plane. Doing that for the first time is a bit alarming. I had to set the razer gap perfectly otherwise it would cause some tearout in the maple. Also, misalignment can cause streaking into the wood from the metal corner of the blade.. But after quick sanding to 60 grit I was able to take most of that out. It's now quite flat and smooth. I'm honestly surprised it went that well. I definitely won't mind getting some more practice at this by hand. So close now, just need to run it through a table saw and chamfer the edges.

View attachment 3192313

Very nice, where did you get the wood for this? I would like to make one of these for my sister.

See, there is this bumper sticker on it that says "Viva Baja." I contacted the fella that gave that to me, and he doesn't have any more. I ain't losing that.
The fella that gave me the Viva Baja sticker felt sorry for me. So he sent me a sticker pack. Still, I'm not getting rid of the Viva Baja sticker. Now I need to find homes for 3 of these.

The cool thing is the "Slow Baja" fella drives a tan FJ40 down there.

20221213_134330.jpg

View attachment 3192313
Working with wood is a mad skill I don't have. Nice job.

Very nice, where did you get the wood for this? I would like to make one of these for my sister.

I cheated. I bought it as a pack of 18 s4s hardwood from Amazon and then I did the glue up and shaping. I didn't start with rough lumber and can't see myself doing that anytime soon.

I have been rearranging my garage to make room for the 80. I picked up a free 2uz engine a year or two ago that has been taking up room. I decided today to dig into it to see if it was worth keeping around. It had obviously had sat outside, so I expected it had a problem. The exterior was very clean. There are definitely some good hardware and parts worth saving.

I pulled one head off and found this, then the other.
7A8E6C15-F411-41EC-9C6F-8A34A9F3B400.jpeg

9CE16E0B-DB95-4B31-ABC4-E1003C0E3CF0.jpeg

FEC0036D-9A95-4B94-AC63-97D650A661EB.jpeg

68468DC2-1B7F-4D64-8DD3-8EF0920595FC.jpeg

F5ADAB58-F8E9-46C0-B762-23135776F4E6.jpeg

I will pull the pan off tonight to see what the bottom end looks like but so far. I have not a reason the engine might have been abandoned originally.

I will try to clean the cylinders to get a better idea of how badly they are pitted. Those of you with more experience, do you think this block is salvageable?

Last edited:
I have been rearranging my garage to make room for the 80. I picked up a free 2uz engine a year or two ago that has been taking up room. I decided today to dig into it to see if it was worth keeping around. It had obviously had sat outside, so I expected it had a problem. On the exterior is was very clean. There are definitely some good hardware and parts were saving from it.

I pulled one head off and found this, then the other.
View attachment 3195248
View attachment 3195249
View attachment 3195250
View attachment 3195252
View attachment 3195253
I will pull the pan off tonight to see what the bottom end looks like but so far. I have not a reason the engine might have been abandoned originally.

I will try to clean the cylinders to get a better idea of how badly they are pitted. Those of you with more experience, do you think this block is salvageable?

It is salvageable, just don't know if it is worth it.

Also, I am pretty sure the cylinders are sleeved anyway, so pitting doesn't matter.

It is salvageable, just don't know if it is worth it.

I have this idea in my head that I would like to try and build a better stronger 2uz. That is when I run out of other things to do. The lack of engine management options would be difficult for me if I couldn’t find an affordable option to make it happen. Really just a dream but I might keep the block around just to keep the dream going. We will see what the bottom looks like shortly.

After a short soak and clean with PB Blaster I can turn the the crank easily. No stiff spots, meaning everything seems to function equally and smooth. Looking at it from underneath the rear two piston rods at the crank have the darkest cooked oil look to them. This is probably a clue or not?
The oil that came out out was pretty thick and sticky but that could be because it has been in teens and single digits temps up here.
DD20F6FD-2EA1-4A97-B00B-C6CDB546C461.jpeg

42B9D596-C68E-43B2-A12E-46E9F6882979.jpeg

I think for now this as far as my curiosity goes. Since the bottom end is not rusty, broken or seized I will put the pan back on it and find a way to close it up and store until I find a reason to play with it some more.

You have gone this far, take one of those caps off and maybe end the suspense.
Oh man I hope the suspense won’t keep anyone up. I put it back together already for storage. Probably not going to dig back into it until I have more time.

Please tell me if you see a set of chrome shocks at upull that’ll go with my new 3” riser blocks
I’m going back to the ‘80s
5ED96B63-F88F-4E7D-8EF6-9C51AC2F61E5.jpeg

Please tell me if you see a set of chrome shocks at upull that’ll go with my new 3” riser blocks
I’m going back to the ‘80s
View attachment 3199546

I have a new set of trailer lights you can have if want to install dual taillights to go with your chrome shocks.🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom